News article: No potentially deciding votes among Jehovah's Witnesses

by Wild_Thing 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

Sorry if this has already been posted. It just infuriates me that voting is a desfellowshipping offense.

http://www.mlive.com/news/fljournal/index.ssf?/base/news-24/1099142701308870.xml

• Nancy Drake
    Nancy Drake

Wow does that article make JW's look like a bunch of nutjobs.

Thanks for posting that, Wildthing. I didn't think that the Witnesses were supposed to talk to the media like that, though.

Well I'm stumbled!

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

"Witnesses respect and cooperate with authorities, so it's not a matter of being irritated or affected by what's going on in politics," Bryant said.

I guess this brother doesn't know about: The Tax Court ruling in France; JW domestic abuse problems; or "Theocratic War Strategy" of lying to authorities and in court. Unless Bryant was using his Theocratic War Strategy when giving that news media interview? That must be it!

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Got to ask one question here....why would a reporter from Lil OLD Flint Michigan decide to conduct such a topically specific interview with a local elder about politics?

I think the media has been paying attention to the WT again, especially in the last few years with the abuse and scandals. Methinks the press is fishing for a "home-run" story.

It's out there.... it's out there. Sooner or later someone will get the angle on a WT related story that will have the media impact of the Pederson Murder or one of the other recent big stories. Spin and damage control?... lies don't hold up day after day.

---------Hillbilly

Hillbilly don't discount that the WT also uses the media to put out propoganda.

Consider this:

Many cases involving scandle and the WT are in the court system NOW particularly surrounding the issue of child sexual abuse.

The WT is conducting one of it's largest pamphlet campaigns ever which is designed to imply they detest the child sexual abuse cover up scandals in the Catholic church (hence they would never resort to such a thing).

Some are saying that there is an increased focus of attention on apostates in the Kingdom Halls which implies that there will be increased media and they don't want the average members paying attention.

I think they are stepping up the PR and propoganda and you will see the WT increasing it's use of the worldly media to pump out messages like "We cooperate with authorities" in order to affect opinions of those who might be reading the morning news before they go into court to render decisions on these cases.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly
    The WT is conducting one of it's largest pamphlet campaigns ever which is designed to imply they detest the child sexual abuse cover up scandals in the Catholic church (hence they would never resort to such a thing).

Good. They only get in trouble when they write shit down.... It's coming ...

---Hill

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I have a few problems with this though...

first the MAJORITY of americans don't vote whats voter turnout normaly? 30% this year with all the uproar it may actually get to 35%? maybe 40%? So what that witlesses don't vote they are only a EXTREMELY small part of the majority... (fyi I think if the majority of people were to vote kerry would win by a HUGE majority... thank god they dont hahahahaha)

My other problem is the statement about -since we don't vote theres no reason to discuss it in our meetings...

And thats the problem any time the media takes a big wet bite out of these bastards for ANY reason WE notice here on the outside WE get upset WE try to explain to our relitives and friends still in this religion... they don't, they insulate themselves in their halls... they are deaf dumb and blind... sickens me

• Soledad
    Soledad
    930,000 congregations worldwide

huh? there are *not* that many congregations worldwide! or are there?

"We watch TV, listen to the radio and read newspapers like other people," he said, "but to us, our king is our Lord Jesus

something's fishy. Witnesses don't talk like this.

He said he knows of no other group that shares the stance of Jehovah's Witnesses on politics.

last I heard, the Amish people don't vote either. True or False?
  • Odrade
    Odrade

I have a problem with this article too. In 1999, there was an article that made it (literally interpreted) a conscience matter on voting. IOW, they couldn't disfellowship you if you voted. But I've seen lots of feedback here about df implied threats for voting, and now this article. This news article makes it very clear that particular presiding overseer (and you have to assume the rest of that BOE) DO consider it a disfellowshipping offense if a JW is seen at the voting booth.

So, which is it? Not that it matters, I'm definitely voting on Tuesday, damn the torpedos full steam ahead.

I'm also wearing a halloween costume to work today.

O

93,000 cong, give or take a few. Someone misplaced a comma. Last I heard it was 95,000. Does that mean they've lost upwards of 2000 whole congregations, or is this P.O. just misinformed about that too?

last I heard, the Amish people don't vote either. True or False?

Mennonites don't either. Aside srom those, there are religious groups worldwide who don't vote in their countries elections for leadership, Government, etc.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit