Study puts civilian toll in Iraq at over 100,000

by Simon 14 Replies latest social current

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

I keep on letting myself forget about the many thousands of innocents who are killed across the globe in all sorts of conflicts. Probably just to stop depression from my inability to change any of that.

US soldiers are being shielded by the strategy of bombing at a distance. But I think its also shielding them psychologically...detaching them to some extent from the human destruction the weaponry causes...with these "remote" engagements it can appear less gorey than it is (yes so many were probably killed in that sortee etc.)...grief and revulsion can only set in when you directly experience the horror of it all (like that US soldier that cried about the Iraqi baby girl) ...I'm hoping we're not progressing towards more "sanitized" wars.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

Think about it....in terms of lives lost, this is equivalent to 35 9/11s. Does that put it into better perspective? Don't forget that Iraq has only 7% of the population of the United States.

• Angharad
    Angharad
    Bush makes decisions based on his faith. The problem is he should be making decisions based on the facts

What disgusts me is that Bush (& co including Blair) who are so religious are so moralistic when it comes to issues such as gay marriage but what they have done to all these people in Iraq is completely immoral. They have killed thousands in a contrived war and then have the cheek to call this huge number of dead kids and families collateral damage - it sickening, bunch of hypocritical war criminals

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

It's a very flawed study, the result of which has an estimate 5 to 6 times those of every other estimate. When one bunch is saying "607 BCE", and every other source says "587 BC", whom do you believe?

http://www.chicagoboyz.net/archives/002543.html

• Simon
    Simon
    When one bunch is saying "607 BCE", and every other source says "587 BC", whom do you believe?

It still means it happened a long time ago.

Whether it is 20,000, 100,000 or 200,000 ... it still means a lot of people have died.

When we have killed more than Saddam did, does that make us part of the axis of evil? I think it at least makes the last grasped justification for the war a bit of a joke.

Sadly, not a joke for the people and their families who have to suffer for our leaders incompetence, greed, ignorance and arrogance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit