The green bibles???????????

by vitty 27 Replies latest jw friends

• vitty
    vitty

A couple of years ago we where told by the CO that some people were still using the green bibles.......shock horror!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And that we shouldnt as it was showing that we didnt appreciate the latest ones...black or maroon. ur what???????

I thought it was a bit strange at the time but dismissed it, could it be the black ones are different from the green ones or am I now being overly suspious..

An young sister still uses hers because her toddler liked the dinosaur pictures ahh

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

not to sound cynical but probably the green bibles backed up what the watchtower was publishing back then and the newer bibles back up whats being taught now since everything published now is " new light"

• vitty
    vitty

Candidlynuts......... I just mentioned you on the "Say something nice " thread

• ohiocowboy
    ohiocowboy

It was explained that the reason that the bibles were originally green was that green was the color of life, and therefore fitting that it be the color for the NWT. Maybe now that they are realizing that they are all going to Die from old age, that black-(the color of death) would be more fitting....

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I used a green bible for quite a while, even when the 1984 edition was around. I liked being different. I did notice that there are a few major differences between the green one and the 1984 edition when we did our nightly bible reading.

• itsallgoodnow
    itsallgoodnow

Hebrews 1:6 was changed. It was "Let all of the angels worship him" (referring to Jesus) and was changed to "do obeisance" instead of "worship".

Richie posted the following info in a thread I saw awhile back that's been saved to my harddrive. I can't find a link to the actual thread though.

38. In the NWT, every time the Greek word "proskuneo" () is used in reference to God, it is translated as "worship" (Rev 5:14, 7:11, 11:16, 19:4, Jn 4:20, etc.). Every time "proskuneo" is used in reference to Jesus, it is translated as "obeisance" (Mt 14:33, 28:9, 28:17, Lk 24:52, Heb 1:6, etc.), even though it is the same word in the Greek (see Gr-Engl Interlinear). Especially compare the Greek word "proskunhsan" used with reference to God in Rev 5:14, 7:11, 11:16, and 19:4 and the same exact word used with reference to Christ in Mt 14:33, 28:9, and 28:17. What is the reason for this inconsistency in translation? If the NWT was consistent in translating "proskuneo" as "worship", how would the verses above referring to Christ read?

I don't know of any other changes to the NWT since the green bible, but wouldn't be surprised to hear there are more than just this one.

• jws
    jws

When they came out with the black bible, they freely admitted it wasn't the same. I don't remember the exact quotes, but I believe they were touting it as the "most accurate" translation. Implying by itself that it differed from previous verions.

Every once in a while I see a green bible in the used book stores. I remember some speaker warning, I think the young women, to be on the lookout for guys pretending to be JWs at conventions, but who were carrying green bibles. Right away, I wanted to start carrying a green bible, but couldn't find one. I think my parents threw all of ours away. It's amazing the reaction some people have to them. A bible they used for years is now treated like it is cursed.

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Does anyone know the source of the story about a senior Watchtower operative who supposedly said: If the Society says that this green Bible is black, then it's black", to the applause and laughter of those present?

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Somebody in my congo has a purple bible, anyone know when this was done?

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    purple bible

That was the interlinear version. It's still purple. For a while I used it at the KH, but it only has the Greek scriptures in it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit