Cigar recommendations?

by AlmostAtheist 10 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey all,

I've only recently begun smoking and I find that I like cigars. Cigarettes aren't doing it for me, they burn up too fast and you have to keep knocking the ash into something. A vice ought at least to support laziness, in my opinion, and a cigar seems to fit the bill. For taste, I've enjoyed Camels (wides) and Virgina Slims. (How's that for a mix?)

I enjoyed some Swisher Sweets (strawberry, I think) that were about 50 cents a throw. I tried some White Owls that were a $1 a piece, but they were almost exactly like the Swishers. Then I tried a five-pack of swisher sweets "perfecto"'s. Awful! Like sucking in gaseous sandpaper! I also found that I didn't care for Hav-A-Tampa Jewels (Berry), they were [something bad], maybe harsh? Sharp? Forgive me, I'm new at this.

So, assuming I'm only willing to dump at most $2 a throw on these puppies (averaged out, a $40 box of 20 would be fine), what should I be smoking? Any recommendations?

Of course, I realize I'm deducting x years from my life by doing this, and perhaps I'll decide to quit later on that basis. But for now, assume that any "you'll die" arguments aren't worth bothering with. I'm an ex-JW, I'm used to ignoring facts that don't support my beliefs. ;-)

Dave

• Confucious
    Confucious

Dude...

Forget the cheap Sh!t.

Probably the best cheap sh!t is black and mild.

But for a good smoke...

Ashton hand rolled.

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Unfortunately for you Americans, you will not get the (legal) opportunity to experience a good Cuban cigar.

I will give you some caution my friend. When you start smoking cigars sooner or later you will realize that they are like a good wine or a good single malt scotch. You may end up constantly upping your standars as you learn to appreciate the attributes of a fine cigar. Worse tha the wine or scotch because it is more addictive. Yes the nicotine in cigars is highly addictive. The whole process could lead you down a road of dishing out big cash everyday for 2 or 3 cigars. Lucky for you the 75 dollar Cuban Cohiba or Montecristo cigars are unavailable but there are still some expensive non Cubans out there.

My advice to you is too resist trying the expensive ones of you can because once you try them....well you better have a big bank account. Unfortunately I do not have any recommendations for you under $7.50 U.S.

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Would a kindly moderator please move this to [Friends]? Sorry, I'm ... well.. stupid.

Anyway, thanks for the comments so far. Ouch, $8 a pop? At least that would push me more toward once a week territory, instead of the twice a day area I've been flirting with.

OK then, how about I ask what's your cheapest recommendation? I like beer too. I usually drink domestic junk, but I splurge on a decent brand now and again. I enjoyed Caffrey's until they stopped selling it in the US. Wexford's a half-decent substitute.

So even $10 wouldn't be out of the question once in awhile. More than that would make me lie awake at nights, nodding off now and then, only to wake screaming. Maybe I'm cheap.

Dave

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

I don't smoke cigars often enough to make a recommendation. When I do, I go into a nice cigar store and rely on them to steer me in the direction of one in the $10.00 range to go with a nice shot of single malt scotch.

Nothing could be finer.

Sherry

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Okay 10 dollar range you say? I would recommend a Dominican cigar as a distant a very poor runner up to a Cuban cigar but it's the closest you'll get until you get out of the U.S. for a vacation. Secondly, I recommend you don't cheap-out at the last second. Like most things in life: You get what you pay for. Lastly remember: It will be good compared to the cheep ones so don't get hooked.

If you ever get off U.S. soil then try the Cubans: Cohiba, Montecristo, Romeo y Julietta, and Upman. Those are my Cuban recommendations in order of ranking. Hand rolled are 5 times more expensive and unecessary until you develop your cigar experiences.

Also you will need a cigar cutter. The easiest to use and it gives a consistant hole each time is a bullet cigar cutter (looks like the shell part of a bullet - push it in and twist simultaniously.

I used to be into the whole cigar thing but I quit. All I have left is a souvenir special edition cigar vacuum sealed and still in a humidor. It cost 200 U.S. when I bought it 3 years ago. I quit before I had a chance to smoke it...it may very well be no good even though I had it vacuum sealed.

Which reminds me. Cigars dry out quick. If you spend money then smoke it or by a decent humidor.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

There are plenty of good Cigars out there that won't break your wallet. Just because a cigar is expensive does not make it good.

Ashton Cigars are very good. Padron also makes very good cigars that are generally not too expensive.

Also, if you are just starting out, try a sampler pack from one of the mail order houses like Thompson's.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    When you start smoking cigars sooner or later you will realize that they are like a good wine or a good single malt scotch. You may end up constantly upping your standars as you learn to appreciate the attributes of a fine cigar.

This is definitely the case! If you don't have the budget, be careful here. Several summers ago, I was going out with the guys smoking several times a week. Getting the "taste" for the higher quality cigars has ruined my palet for the cheaper ones I could really afford. LOL! Loved it, but killed my bank account! The good thing was that for some reason all the guys loved that I would sit around and smoke with them. Most of their girlfriends wouldn't do it or were even interested in trying. I was single and didn't have anyone to go home with cigar breath to.

Avo, Cohiba, Monte Cristo are my favorites in this order.

• Confucious
    Confucious

I started out backwards. I sampled some Cubans and since then, I can really tell the difference between the good and bad. I have to say, that the Ashton is really good.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Well, that would depend on what you want them for. Bill Clinton, for example, ignores taste, but concentrates on size and texture - sort of a reverse on the "tastes great, less filling" debate.

If you plan on smoking them, then I haven't got a clue.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit