Do you use anything with pagan origins?

by pennycandy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Can you guys think of anything else that JW's partake of or accept or use that has questionable origins?

Jesus

Pagan Origins of the Christ Myth
    By John G. Jackson (Originally published in 1941)
    See at Amazon.com

http://www.nbufront.org/html/MastersMuseums/JGJackson/ChristMyth/ChristMythPart1.html

• kls
    kls

The game of Bowling is from Pagan origin , it used to symbolize bowling down the demons.

• CPiolo
    CPiolo

The Roman alphabet originated in Sumeria and ended up with the Romans in pre-Christian (pagan) times all-the-while evolving into the alphabet we use today. Isn't ironic that most believers in the Western world have to read the Bible in a pagan alphabet? CPiolo

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

Chess and checkers are war games. Chess has been found in many ancient civilizations including chinese and egyption(?) and is over 3000 years old.

Wedding cake. Middle european custom. Guests would bring sweet cakes and they would be stacked. The bride and groom were to kiss over the cakes. This lead to the tiered wedding cake.

European guage rail road tracks... the width of the track is based on a horse cart. The width of the wheels on the horse cart was to run in the ruts in the road. The ruts in the road were of Roman origin.

Circumcision is a hebrew/jew religious disfiguration and hence removed from religious necessity by the Christ.

Ear piercing.

Eye liner, and makeup in general. Egyptian.

Astronomy - discovered and developed by the Chinese, Egyptians, Polynesians, and American indians, and others. Astronomical "clocks" to identify the solstices and equinoxes. Remember, the memorial is the first full moon after the spring equinox....

Celestial navigation first developed by the Polynesians and Vikings

Wedding veil. Hiding or disquising the woman on her wedding day, holdover of arabic and hebrew chattel days.

Eastern herbal medicine, accupuncture, moxa, massage, reflexology. Chinese/Japanese healing arts

Tai Chi - marshal art

Basketball - Aztec

Pentangle - 5-pointed star. Pagan AND used by the Rosecrucians

6 pointed star of david

Oh, I'm sure there's more, but these are all I can think of at this time.

-Brenda

PS Fireworks - Chinese, for use in celebration and in war. gunpowder used in firearms.

• Valis
    Valis

don't forget about tattoos...

Leviticu 19: 28 ??And YOU must not make cuts in YOUR flesh for a deceased soul, and YOU must not put tattoo marking upon yourselves. I am Jehovah. NWT

Sincerely,

Ditrict Overbeer

• badboy
    badboy

i DID A LOT OF POSTS pointing out pagan connection with a lot of things.

• Black Sheep
    Black Sheep

I use my phallus daily, when practicle.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit