Do you use anything with pagan origins?

by pennycandy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I'm conversing with a JW about the "pagan origin" issue. I'm familiar with the fact that the names of the months and days of the week, wedding rings, and baptism all have pagan origins and are accepted for use by JW's.

Can you guys think of anything else that JW's partake of or accept or use that has questionable origins?

I have only found one more. Covering a yawn was originally meant to keep the Devil from sneaking inside, but today most people only do it for good manners. Should you stop covering your yawns because of demonic origins?

I'm thinking there are many everyday items, like clothing cut a certain way, or household tools or decorations, or figures of speech, or personal grooming that are now used by JW's without thought of their origins.

Thanks,

Penny

P.S. Can anyone tell me how to spellcheck as I'm composing?

P.S.S. Can anyone tell me what "bttt" does? I know, I'm such a newbie.

• Gerard
    Gerard

Yes:

Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, January, February, March, April, May, June, July, August September, October, November, December.

MAN! I have such a %$#@* dirty mouth!!!!

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Take a look at my wedding ring - this photo was taken when I spilled paint on my desk and I was scared I'd ruined my ring hence the stuff all around it... honest!!!

CZAR

• hubert
    hubert

Penny, I asked the same question about bttt when I started here. it means "Back To The Top". When anyone, including you, writes a post, it goes to the top of the "active topics" list. If you post, and click on "active topics", your post will be at the bottom of the first page, which is really the top...(huh)?

Oh, and if you click on the smily face when you are writing a post, you can choose an icon to put in your post, as I have done. Just click on it.

Pagan origin <> This reminds me of what my daughter said when I asked why she wasn't going to celebrate Thanksgiving with us this year. ...You guessed it...Pagan origin. I asked her to explain, but she couldn't.

Hubert

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I thought of another one . . . honeymoons.

• franklin J
    franklin J

Pagan Origins? So what? Western Civilization as we know it is the offspring of "Pagan Origins" ; our Western culture is descendent of the ancient Roman Empire. Our customs, culture and form of government are all patterned on ancient Rome. Our city grid patterns, our architecture, our Patriarchial families ( that may be changing) ., our structure of governmen; both Federal and local. We may not have a slave culture ( not literally, anyway) but come close in some respects.

Pagan Origins? So what; lets celebrate and have some fun!

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Thanks, guys!

Franklin, those are perfect. Thank you very much.

• Mulan
    Mulan

Do spellcheck by typing your replies in Word. That will do it. I don't think we have it here..............at least I haven't found it.

Any kind of a decorative wreath is pagan, and sexual in origin.

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Many symblols and designs are of pagan origin, such as the heart Not to mention many of what are now family pets were gods at one time.

Kwin

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    P.S.S. Can anyone tell me what "bttt" does? I know, I'm such a newbie.

That is the sound that is made when you stick out your tongue and blow. Btttttttttt!!!

Regarding the spell check... I just copy the text into MS Word, do a spell check, and then I copy it back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit