Someone left me an Awake magazine

by poppers 14 Replies latest jw friends

• poppers
    poppers

Much to my surprise I found an Awake magazine in my front porch the other day. Surprising because my neighbor's are JW and they know I'm not, and that I'm not interested - the father is an elder and they are always having meetings over there, but they themselves have never approached me. So, I looked through it with the eye of a skeptic based on what I've read here.

It seemed harmless enough - an article on being sleep deprived and what to do about it. And an article on personality types based on blood typing (which I had never heard of before and which they derided). Then it struck me as being a rather ridiculous attempt at innoculating the 'unknowing' against even talking about any kind of blood issues, lest the reader later join their club and are confronted directly with their stand on blood. Or to provide another reason for members to steer clear of anything to do with blood.

The implication I got was that even though they think personality based on blood is groundless, the seed is planted in the mind of the reader that it could in fact be true. It also said that each individual has their own unique blood type even within each general type. So this would mean that if you were to take blood from a donor you would also be importing his personality type (if in fact it were true, which of course, they say it is not). Very clever.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Was it this one?

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Well, isn't that cover freudian???

Sherry

• poppers
    poppers

No it wasn't - but that sure would catch my eye! Seems to me it was the January or February issue of 2003 - it already has been put in my 'circular file'.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Someone took the original title "Are you getting enough sleep?" and changed it to what you see now.

• poppers
    poppers

Even more clever.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother
    Seems to me it was the January or February issue of 2003

Somebody has still got some old mags, then.. As a consciencious elder he evidently thinks they are "Too good to throw away!"

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

ahhh, see, I'm not quick like that when I have a migraine, I should have known.

Carry on!

Sherry

• poppers
    poppers

Yeah, my first thought was "Why don't I deserve the latest issue?"

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

Didn't you just hate leaving those old 1992 Awakes on peoples' doorsteps? Like no one was going to notice. Plus, since they never use up-to-date references, all the quotations would be like from 1986 issues of The Toronto Star or something.

SNG

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit