Breakfast

by Englishman 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

I adore eating out for breakfast. HL has gone to work and I have a free day. So I'm off to Sainsbury's to do a shop.

I'll eat in Sainsbury's caff first. Mm..pot of tea. Well, of course! Then um..ah, yes, toast and butter. Fried egg, bacon, sausage (English of course), hash brown (we never even heard of hash browns 20 years ago, must be a 'Mercan thing) tinned tomatoes, mushrooms, and, of course, black pudding.

The weird thing is that every ex-JW I have ever breakfasted with has never had the inclination to go for the black pudding. They've always looked at me with disbelief as I have tucked into the delicious black stuff.

Oh well. On with the motley!

Englishman.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Now you just made me REALLY hungry!

You are right about the black pudding though....can't face it and I've never even tasted it!

English breakfast = YUM!

Sirona

• Fe2O3Girl
    Fe2O3Girl

I have never eaten black pudding, either. It is my last JW hangup. Quite funny as I am a blood donor, and I would accept a blood transfusion in an instant if I needed it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Several times I've been faced with black pudding on my plate and deliberated before pushing it aside.

There are two things that hold me back, the first being the mental image of eating blood (ok, that's not actually a strong one) and secondly the fact that I can still deny it to my parents, who are still JW's. But then given that I seem to be doing most other things that they would condemn, that reason is slowly dwindling.

On the plus side for eating it is that it's another thing the WTS forbade me, so why should I let it remain a hold over me? I'll tell ya if I like it or not, when I finally get the bottle

Ironically enough, the black puddings from this island are world renowned!
    http://www.charlesmacleod.co.uk/index1.htm

I do love a good cooked breakfast, though!!!

• Mutz
    Mutz

Marmite on toast and a cup of coffee for me this morning. Feeling a bit delicate today so I am not sure I could manage a monster breakfast like yours but I'd try just for the hell of it. :)

• Englishman
    Englishman

I knew it.

I am the only person in the whole wide world to have been involved with JW's who eats black pudding.

Is there not a soul mate out there?

Englishman.

• Insomniac
    Insomniac

Good gosh-a-mighty, how do y'all move after all that rich food? You make it sound tasty, though. Now, what is this black pudding stuff? I'm confused; is it actually a pudding made with blood? And what does it taste like? I don't believe we have that in the US.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

E-Man,

My husband makes the most wonderful "Tex-Mex" breakfast known as Migas (mee-gus). It is spicy crumbled sausage fried with onions, bell peppers, jalapenos, scrambled eggs, and hashbrowns all mixed together. It is typically wrapped into a tortilla (either corn or flour) and eaten like a burrito. I like to top mine with salsa and sour cream and even guacamole. Yum!

When you come to Texas to visit sometime, I'll make sure to have you over for breakfast! (I make a wonderful mimosa!)

Andi

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Breakfast!!! My favorite meal! Once I've filled my face with an omlette, pancakes, waffles, sausages, potatos, and my concoction of fried onions, red peppers, mushrooms & spicy sausage I don't think I'd have any room left for black pudding.

Here's a recipe I found for Black Pudding. I don't feel any inclination to try it.

Walter

BLACK PUDDING FROM SCRATCH (ENGLISH)

Recipe By :
    Serving Size : 6
    Categories : Pork

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    1 1/4 qt Fresh pig's blood
    8 7/8 oz Bread cut into cubes
    1 1/4 qt Skim milk
    1 lb Cooked barley
    1 lb Fresh beef suet
    8 oz Fine oatmeal
    1 t Salt
    2 ts Ground black pepper
    2 ts Dried and crumbled mint

Put the bread cubes to soak in the milk in a warm oven. Do not heat the
    milk beyond blood temperature! Have the blood ready in a large bowl, and
    pour the warm milk and bread into it. Stir in the cooked barley. Grate the
    beef suet into the mixture and stir it up with the oatmeal. Season with the
    salt, pepper and mint.

Have ready 2 or three large roasting pans. Divide the mixture between them
    ~- they should not be more than 3/4 full. Bake in a moderate oven -- 350 F
    ~- for about an hour or until the pudding is well cooked through. This
    makes a beautifully light pudding which will keep well in a cold larder.

Cut into squared and fry till heated through and the outside is crisp, in
    bacon fat or butter. Delicious for breakfast, or for supper with fried
    apples and mashed potato.

• Princess
    Princess

Hmmm, I'll have a piece of the toast (whole grain please) no butter and an egg and some of that sausage. You can keep the rest...sounds gross for breakfast. I'd eat the potatoes (very 'Mercan) but don't need them if I'm having toast.

No black pudding in the states. I'd taste it but it really sounds pretty yuck to me.

Now, bring on a plate of gingerbread waffles...now you're talking!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit