Is our universe just a hologram?

by frankiespeakin 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

I was doing a shearch on physicist Alain Aspect, and came across this :

http://home.elp.rr.com/osiris/newpage1.htm

The Universe as a Hologram

Does Objective Reality Exist, Or Is The Universe A Phantasm?

In 1982 a remarkable event took place. At the University of Paris a research team led by physicist Alain Aspect performed what may turn out to be one of the most important experiments of the 20th century. You did not hear about it on the evening news. In fact, unless you are in the habit of reading scientific journals you probably have never even heard Aspect's name, though there are some who believe his discovery may change the face of science.

Aspect and his team discovered that under certain circumstances subatomic particles such as electrons are able to instantaneously communicate with each other regardless of the distance separating them. It doesn't matter whether they are 10 feet or 10 billion miles apart.

Somehow each particle always seems to know what the other is doing. The problem with this feat is that it violates Einstein's long-held tenet that no communication can travel faster than the speed of light. Since traveling faster than the speed of light is tantamount to breaking the time barrier, this daunting prospect has caused some physicists to try to come up with elaborate ways to explain away Aspect's findings. But it has inspired others to offer even more radical explanations.

University of London physicist David Bohm, for example, believes Aspect's findings imply that objective reality does not exist, that despite its apparent solidity the universe is at heart a phantasm, a gigantic and splendidly detailed hologram.

To understand why Bohm makes this startling assertion, one must first understand a little about holograms. A hologram is a three- dimensional photograph made with the aid of a laser.

To make a hologram, the object to be photographed is first bathed in the light of a laser beam. Then a second laser beam is bounced off the reflected light of the first and the resulting interference pattern (the area where the two laser beams commingle) is captured on film.

When the film is developed, it looks like a meaningless swirl of light and dark lines. But as soon as the developed film is illuminated by another laser beam, a three-dimensional image of the original object appears.

The three-dimensionality of such images is not the only remarkable characteristic of holograms. If a hologram of a rose is cut in half and then illuminated by a laser, each half will still be found to contain the entire image of the rose.

Indeed, even if the halves are divided again, each snippet of film will always be found to contain a smaller but intact version of the original image. Unlike normal photographs, every part of a hologram contains all the information possessed by the whole.

The "whole in every part" nature of a hologram provides us with an entirely new way of understanding organization and order. For most of its history, Western science has labored under the bias that the best way to understand a physical phenomenon, whether a frog or an atom, is to dissect it and study its respective parts.

A hologram teaches us that some things in the universe may not lend themselves to this approach. If we try to take apart something constructed holographically, we will not get the pieces of which it is made, we will only get smaller wholes.

This insight suggested to Bohm another way of understanding Aspect's discovery. Bohm believes the reason subatomic particles are able to remain in contact with one another regardless of the distance separating them is not because they are sending some sort of mysterious signal back and forth, but because their separateness is an illusion. He argues that at some deeper level of reality such particles are not individual entities, but are actually extensions of the same fundamental something.

• FMZ
    FMZ

Frankie, great article. It's amazing how science is just now getting anywhere close to the understandings of the universe that Eastern wisdom has told us for a long time.

We are all one, there is no "You and I" or "Here and now"... It is all just a beautifully orchestrated illusion.

Thank God for beauty!

FMZ

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

These ideas make me at least a bit dizzy, as if I want to sit down and relax a bit ...... Just at the edge of whatmy mind is able to comprehend, and when I try to find out what it actually MEANS, implies - some sort of spinning begins, and it's safer to take a walk with the dog.

I read some scientists are also wondering if memory works along the same paths, since it is difficult to find THE spot where memory resides in the brain, so that all our memories are stored in each and every one of the brain cells, following the same hologram principles ......

Come here, doggie, time for a walk!

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Kinda like a revamped take on the idea that we're all just the fabricated bits of a higher being's dream? But with something observable to point to, in support of it.

Einstein described that bit about the two electrons affecting each other, at faster than light speeds, as "spooky action at a distance". Its called quantum entanglement. Why this happens or is possible, is too involved for my feeble mind to grasp adequately but philosophers love its implications.

If you like this sorta stuff, then look into the 10 or 12 dimensionional models of the universe. The more knowledgable say that it can account for quantum entanglement and a whole other slew of counter-intuitive things that happen on the quantum scale. Maybe we're real after all.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

Here are some quotes from David Brohm, (university of London physist) more can be found at this site:

http://www.muc.de/~heuvel/bohm/quotes.html

Selected David Bohm Quotes

Compiled by Richard Burg

"I would say that in my scientific and philosophical work, my main concern has been with understanding the nature of reality in general and of consciousness in particular as a coherent whole, which is never static or complete but which is an unending process of movement and unfoldment...."

D. Bohm, _Wholeness and the Implicate Order_, p.ix

"Then there is the further question of what is the relationship of thinking to reality. As careful attention shows, thought itself is in an actual process of movement. That is to say, one can feel a sense of flow in the stream of consciousness not dissimilar to the sense of flow in the movement of matter in general. May not thought itself thus be a part of reality as a whole? But then, what could it mean for one part of reality to 'know' another, and to what extent would this be possible?"

D. Bohm, _Wholeness and the Implicate Order_, p. ix

"...awakening...the process of dialogue itself as a free flow of meaning among all the participants. In the beginning, people were expressing fixed positions, which they were tending to defend, but later it became clear that to maintain the feeling of friendship in the group was much more important than to hold any position. Such friendship has an impersonal quality in the sense that its establishment does not depend on a close personal relationship between participants. A new kind of mind thus beings to come into being which is based on the development of a common meaning that is constantly transforming in the process of the dialogue. People are no longer primarily in opposition, nor can they be said to be interacting, rather they are participating in this pool of common meaning which is capable of constant development and change. In this development the group has no pre-established purpose, though at each moment a purpose that is free to change may reveal itself. The group thus begins to engage in a new dynamic relationship in which no speaker is excluded, and in which no particular content is excluded. Thus far we have only begun to explore the possibilities of dialogue in the sense indicated here, but going further along these lines would open up the possibility of transforming not only the relationship between people, but even more, the very nature of consciousness in which these relationships arise."

D. Bohm, _Unfolding Meaning_, p. 175

"Indeed, for both the rich and the poor, life is dominated by an ever growing current of problems, most of which seem to have no real and lasting solution. Clearly we have not touched the deeper causes of our troubles. It is the main point of this book that the ultimate source of all these problems is in thought itself, the very thing of which our civilization is most proud, and therefore the one thing that is "hidden" because of our failure seriously to engage with its actual working in our own individual lives and in the life of society."

D. Bohm & Mark Edwards, _Changing Consciousness_, p. x

"If [man] thinks of the totality as constituted of independent fragments, then that is how his mind will tend to operate, but if he can include everything coherently and harmoniously in an overall whole that is undivided, unbroken, and without a border then his mind will tend to move in a similar way, and from this will flow an orderly action within the whole."

D. Bohm, _Wholeness and the Implicate Order_, p. xi

"My suggestion is that at each state the proper order of operation of the mind requires an overall grasp of what is generally known, not only in formal logical, mathematical terms, but also intuitively, in images, feelings, poetic usage of language, etc. (Perhaps we could say that this is what is involved in harmony between the 'left brain' and the 'right brain'). This kind of overall way of thinking is not only a fertile source of new theoretical ideas: it is needed for the human mind to function in a generally harmonious way, which could in turn help to make possible an orderly and stable society."

D. Bohm, _Wholeness and the Implicate Order_, p.xiv

"Suppose you have two religions. Thought defines religion - the thought about the nature of God and various questions like that. Such thought is very important because it is about God, who is supposed to be supreme. The thought about what is of supreme value must have the highest force. So if you disagree about that, the emotional impact can be very great, and you will then have no way to settle it. Two different beliefs about God will thus produce intense fragmentation - similarly with thoughts about the nature of society, which is also very important, or with ideologies such as communism and capitalism, or with different beliefs about your family or about your money. Whatever it is that is very important to you, fragmentation in your thought about it is going to be very powerful in its effects."

D. Bohm & Mark Edwards, _Changing Consciousness_, p. 11

• Brokeback Watchtower
  • OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

Science????

Really? Where?? Where, in all that jumble of words and assertions, is the science?

I can't find the science - not one scientific study quoted. Not one. I can't find anything at all that resembles science. Nothing at all that is scientific by any stretch of the imagination. Nothing.

You can it a tuna fish sandwich if you want, but....if its black, got four legs, and has a white stripe down its back and walks low to the ground...it's a skunk.

This is NOT science.

• jp1692
    jp1692

BBW, posted a similar thread a few years ago:

It featured a TED Talk by George Smoot.

His reasoning was seductive, but ultimately fairly weak. Nothing but conjecture, speculation and guesswork.

• barry
    barry

Rimmer of Red Dwarf is a hologram and he can be identified by the H on his forehead.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I am not sure what the difference would be. If reality is a hologram then that's what reality is. It doesn't make it less real. Unless you are comparing reality to an alternative reality that could be more real in some sense. But what would that more real alternative be?

I think it all boils down to the idea that the universe springs from the mind of God. Which I find more and more plausible actually.

The idea that the material universe sprang into existence by itself, from nothing, and for no reason, seems the least plausible of the available explanations. But then, who are we to know?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit