Joining School Board - Will I get DF'd?

by confusedjw 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• confusedjw
    confusedjw

I was asked to fill in on our local school board as an elected board member could not finish their turn. I thought about for a day and decided to do it. It requires that you are a registered voter, at least in our town, which I am.

As I have mentioned I'm trying to just fade away, but since I'm involved in the school I just decided to do this thing. This will bring some attention quite likely.

I haven't been to a meeting in close to 2 years.

Will this bring bring out a JC? If so on what grounds? Or will they just decide to let me live my life?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

Maybe-- depends on how many of your local BOE reads the newspaper. Strictly speaking you are no longer a political nuetral anymore. But, what the hell, what a way to go out! Do whats right for the kids and live your life!

HIll

• FMZ
    FMZ

Wingman... Not sure if I can answer the question, but just wanted to say good luck either way mate :). And hey, you are an inspiration to fathers all over.

I offer my sincerest w00tages.

FMZ

• blondie
    blondie

Well, you weren't elected this time but if next time....

All depends on the elders and the rank and file complaining.

Go for it.

Blondie

• La Capra
    La Capra

Not for being appointed. Not for registering to vote...If there were two witnesses that you actually voted, you are toast. But then again, they would probably consider accepting this post as an act of disassociation....

Oh, to get the local rag to send a reporter to the meeting when they announce it, and then for you to be able to tell the whole community why. Nothing like this sort of thing to get those active in the local scene all aflutter right smack dab in the middle of election season.

Most small local newspapers thrive on this kind of scandal (school board drama has always played big in every district I've worked.)

Sounds fun, can I watch?

Shoshana

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

You will not. For my part, I have been i nnumerous schoold boards, sports clubs boards, electoral committees for the trade union, and although you easily get mixed up in conflicts which somehow are quasi-political, they are not based on party politics, and so are ok'ed. You can vote in political elections, too - when asked and you reply that you voted blank as a protest against Satan's dominance over the Earth, who can distrust you? In Colombia or Venezuela, voting is mandatory, and the witnesses have voted for decades - blank. So they say. What they do, is their resposibility. Don't live your life in fear for if you do so, you can get df'ed, but if you do this, you are safe etc. I walk within the frameworks of the witness community, but I make my own decisions - and keep them to myself, and to Jesus and God. They are the ones above me, not human agencies or persons.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I quote myself, line 1: "nnumerous schoold boards" - man, it does not look as if I have been to them, I should have learned how to spell at first ..... :-) OK, "numerous school boards", but I guess you figured that one out by yourself.

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE

*** w99 11/1 pp. 28-29 Questions From Readers ***

What, though, of voting in political elections? Of course, in some democratic lands, as many as 50 percent of the population do not turn out to vote on election day. As for Jehovah?s Witnesses, they do not interfere with the right of others to vote; neither do they in any way campaign against political elections. They respect and cooperate with the authorities who are duly elected in such elections. (Romans 13:1-7) As to whether they will personally vote for someone running in an election, each one of Jehovah?s Witnesses makes a decision based on his Bible-trained conscience and an understanding of his responsibility to God and to the State. (Matthew 22:21; 1 Peter 3:16) In making this personal decision, the Witnesses consider a number of factors.

First, Jesus Christ said of his followers: "They are no part of the world, just as I am no part of the world." (John 17:14) Jehovah?s Witnesses take this principle seriously. Being "no part of the world," they are neutral in the political affairs of the world.?John 18:36.

Second, the apostle Paul referred to himself as an "ambassador" representing Christ to the people of his day. (Ephesians 6:20; 2 Corinthians 5:20) Jehovah?s Witnesses believe that Christ Jesus is now the enthroned King of God?s heavenly Kingdom, and they, like ambassadors, must announce this to the nations. (Matthew 24:14; Revelation 11:15) Ambassadors are expected to be neutral and not to interfere in the internal affairs of the countries to which they are sent. As representatives of God?s heavenly Kingdom, Jehovah?s Witnesses feel a similar obligation not to interfere in the politics of the countries where they reside.

A third factor to consider is that those who have a part in voting a person into office may become responsible for what he does. (Compare 1 Timothy 5:22, The New English Bible.) Christians have to consider carefully whether they want to shoulder that responsibility.

Fourth, Jehovah?s Witnesses greatly value their Christian unity. (Colossians 3:14) When religions get involved in politics, the result is often division among their members. In imitation of Jesus Christ, Jehovah?s Witnesses avoid becoming involved in politics and thus maintain their Christian unity.?Matthew 12:25; John 6:15; 18:36, 37.

Fifth and finally, their keeping out of politics gives Jehovah?s Witnesses freeness of speech to approach people of all political persuasions with the important message of the Kingdom.?Hebrews 10:35.

In view of the Scriptural principles outlined above, in many lands Jehovah?s Witnesses make a personal decision not to vote in political elections, and their freedom to make that decision is supported by the law of the land. What, though, if the law requires citizens to vote? In such a case, each Witness is responsible to make a conscientious, Bible-based decision about how to handle the situation. If someone decides to go to the polling booth, that is his decision. What he does in the polling booth is between him and his Creator.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

I wasn't allowed to run for Student Council...I imagine being on the School Board might have some ramifications.

• Scully
    Scully
    I was asked to fill in on our local school board as an elected board member could not finish their turn. I thought about for a day and decided to do it. It requires that you are a registered voter, at least in our town, which I am.

As far as I know, being on the electoral list or being a registered voter is not a DFing offense. Maybe it works differently in the US, but just being on the electoral list does not require you to cast a ballot at election time.

You didn't run for this "elected" position, you are "filling in" for someone who could not complete their term in office. As a taxpayer you have a right to do this. And as a taxpayer, you also have a right to have input into matters pertaining to the education of your children and/or grandchildren in the school system.

If the JWs were to do something, it likely wouldn't be DFing you. My guess is that you could be summarily announced as Disassociated? by virtue of your actions. This entails that you might not even be informed of this decision until after the announcement has been made, and have no recourse to appeal the decision or even explain your position or the circumstances that led up to this appointment.

Apparently this is how things went down with Mr Scully's being announced as DA'd almost 2 years ago. We didn't find out about it until almost a year had passed. By then, the JW gossip mill had done its thing and rumour had it that Mr Scully had written a letter to disassociate himself. Of course, that was a lie. The story is now that he was observed by Two Eyewitnesses? whilst engaged in Unchristian Conduct? (which has not been disclosed by the Elders? to him or me, but apparently every JW in town knows what he supposedly did - at least we can be sure the accusation wasn't about molesting children - because then nobody would know and he wouldn't have been DFd or DAd anyway ). Rather than confront him about the accusation, the Elders? merely asked him if he considered himself to be One of Jehovah's Witnesses?. When he replied in the negative, they said their good-days and made the announcement at the next meeting, from what I can ascertain.

Just be careful if the elders suddenly make a Shepherding Call? on you. If they ask "Do you still consider yourself to be One of Jehovah's Witnesses??" they are trying to trick you. If you say "Yes", they will invite you to a meeting with the Judicial Committee? with the intention of Disfellowshipping? you. If you say "No", you will be announced as having Disassociated? yourself.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit