JW are instructed to perjure themselves in Nov 15 WT

by ezekiel3 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Since this is in the "Watchtower November 15, 2004" - this is 'new light' - which would negate all of the older publications qouted.

Regards,

Jim TX

• blondie
    blondie

Satanus, actually, nothing has changed if you look at the 1954 quote again. The WTS acknowledges that if a JW refused to answer a question after taking an oath in court, that it would come with a punishment.

The other course was to refuse to answer questions while on the witness stand and be held for contempt of court. In similar circumstances today it is up to the individual to choose whether he wants to answer or not. Refusal means punishment. He can choose to stay silent and go to prison or speak and multiply his punishment or place his brothers in danger

The WTS did not want to get in trouble legally having the court find out that they had advised the brother/sister to remain silent. It is much the way it is with taking a blood transfusion or saluting the flag. We know who is pulling the strings but it looks better in print.

I'm not a lawyer but I think you have to give a false statement to be guilty of perjury. Contempt of court is more likely if you fail to answer. Many countries including this one have laws not requiring people to answer (some exceptions).

In the case of Abraham/Isaac and Jesus they "withheld facts" and "refrained from divulging total information." A case of omission rather than commission. And Rahab was not in a court of law.

Interestingly, when not in a court of law, evidently the WTS thinks it is alright to lie.

*** w54 10/1 p. 598 Christians Live the Truth ***

Various characters of the Bible have been accused of lying, such as Jacob, Rahab, the Gibeonites, David and others, but there is no record in the Bible that they came under divine disapproval for this.

http://www.brainyencyclopedia.com/encyclopedia/r/ri/right_to_silence.html

Euph, that is pretty much the gist of the information. It is a side article in the WT on page 26, "The Tent of the Upright Ones Will Flourish."

• La Capra
    La Capra

I anticipate that I will be practicing family law once I pass the bar (on the first try, of course), and that I will be called upon by my colleagues in the field to handle some of the diffi "cult" portions of cases involving JWs (there seem to be more and more of them in my area).

I am definitely going to acquire this WT, for use in situations of cross examination of JW parties, experts and children.

I wonder if it would be a violation of any legal ethics (I haven't taken Professional Responsibility yet) if I stole this issue from my mom's house. Otherwise I need to go to the mall and pick it up from the zombies that look afraid if you look like you are about to talk to them.

Shoshana

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Interestingly, when not in a court of law, evidently the WTS thinks it is alright to lie.

Apparently they think it's okay in a court of law as well. In fact they think it's more than okay, it's recommended. Refer to their booklet on how to prepare for family court.

• Uzzah
    Uzzah

La Capra:

Good thinking. I am going to try to get my hands on a few copies of it myself for selective distribution and 'future use'.

Best of luck on the bar examination! First time will be a cinch for you!

Uzzah

PS - If anyone can get and hold on to this WT issue it would be appreciated! Quotes will likely want a scan of the page referenced as well for his web site.

• blondie
    blondie

Good point, the WTS is always telling lies themselves, the elders are taught to tell lies, and the rank and file lie to the elders and each other.

I guess they don't know that Revelation 21:8 says liars are fryers.

The important thing is to lie but not get caught, by humans anyway.

Blondie

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

LOL...Funny how we never get any WT apologists on threads like this....

SNG

• Scully
    Scully
    I wonder if it would be a violation of any legal ethics (I haven't taken Professional Responsibility yet) if I stole this issue from my mom's house.

Don't steal it! Just ask your mom for it - she'll be thrilled that she's Placing? a set of magazines with you. Just don't tell her what you plan on doing with it until it's safely locked in your car, so she can't steal it back (and still count the Placement?).

I wonder how many Bethel Lawyers? it's going to take to train potential JW courtroom witnesses to say: "I refuse to answer the question on the grounds that it may incriminate me / my congregation / my cult leaders."

Love, Scully

• La Capra
    La Capra

No such luck, Scully. My mom is no dummy. She knows I would have only ulterior motives for having any WT literature. And she is right. She is very much an avid adherent to the notion of not casting one's pearls before the piggies.

Oink Oink

Shoshana

• Scully
    Scully

Shoshana:

She is very much an avid adherent to the notion of not casting one's pearls before the piggies.

For some reason, knowing that you converted to Judaism not too long ago, that expression is kind of tickling my funny bone. You could tell her that you're keeping Kosher....

Tell you what... if you don't get a copy (by hook or by crook) if I get an extra copy from my "contacts", I'll give it to you.

Love, Scully

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit