FEAR!! PANIC!! ALARM!!

by Terry 21 Replies latest jw friends

• Special K
    Special K

Odrade, you got me thinking about a pet store in the city near me.

They have this HUGE Iguana in there. I didn't know it. I was just kind of meandering around looking at all the cool things. and then I saw it. (TERROR!!!)

HOLY CRAP!!! It freakin' scared me "shipless". (just the reverse of pooing in your pants)

The only thing I could think about was those "Kamodo Dragons" in Indonesia that stalk and take down deer. The place where they build their little hut houses on stilts so these dragons don't get in there huts at night.

Enough said, because I'm typing faster and faster just thinking about this big tail whipping giant.

Special K

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

I know what you mean, Terry. It's like with all the boogin's gone, it's a level playing field. Nobody can float through walls at you, plant thoughts in your head, or transmit advertising into your dreams. (Yet!)

But I do still have some fears that I think qualify as irrational. My worst is parking lots. When I'm with my 6-year-old, I really, really want to hold his hand. It's like I can imagine the collective Fates gunning for him with vehicles. I try to remember that people are watchful, my son is responsible, and I try to walk it safely. But it still scares me.

But at least if he has a bad dream, I don't have to worry it is because such-or-so item bought from a yard sale is "demonized". (I never quite bought that line, but some part of me believed it was at least possible.)

Dave

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Terry,

I watched The Ring last year and it's been hard to watch scary movies since then. It was mostly the scene where the girl climbs through the TV as the dude is watching the video. Creepy! *shudder*

Not too long ago, I was at home alone (Neil was out with the guys) and I was in the back bedroom watching TV. I walked to the front of the house to get a drink of water from the kitchen. I had turned out all the lights earlier and I knew where the kitchen was, so I didn't bother turning the lights back on. Except I didn't know that Neil had just come home. As I hit the end of the hallway, he walks through the living room in the dark and we almost run into each other. I screamed bloody murder I was so scared!!! I almost wet my pants. My screaming of course scared Neil because he didn't know I was coming down the hallway, so we're both screaming. LOL. Anyway, since then, I've talked Neil into getting a security system for the house. The idea of somebody being in my house and me not knowing about it terrifies me.

Andi - also of the spider phobia class *ewww*

• Special K
    Special K

Hi Andi

I found your account funny because I can see this happening to me. (I startle very, very easily)..product of my childhood.

anyway the part about

My screaming of course scared Neil because he didn't know I was coming down the hallway, so we're both screaming. LOL.

best regards

Special K

• shotgun
    shotgun

Terry

I recently watched THE RING and found it creepy. I watched it all by myself in the house late at night. Nothing. Just a mild appreciation for the skill of the filmmakers.

Andi

As I hit the end of the hallway, he walks through the living room in the dark and we almost run into each other. I screamed bloody murder I was so scared!!! I almost wet my pants. My screaming of course scared Neil because he didn't know I was coming down the hallway, so we're both screaming. LOL. Anyway, since then, I've talked Neil into getting a security system for the house.

Terry you do realize you have become that guy that everyone hates who sits in the movie theater and says in a University Professor voice "That is totally irrational behavior'' '' That's not correct, the Alpha Quadrant is too large to traverse in a two hour movie"

Andi I laughed thinking of you and Neil scaring each other...you do realize a security system will not prevent you from scaring each other in the hallway.

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Special K, I startle pretty easy too. Same reasons.

Andi I laughed thinking of you and Neil scaring each other...you do realize a security system will not prevent you from scaring each other in the hallway.

Shotgun,

Thanks for the compassionate hug. No, you're right...but I also know that the likelihood of someone being in my house and me NOT knowing about it are somewhat limited when the system is on. (When Neil is out for the night, you can bet it will be on.) You can't open a door without the chime going off, let alone get in without creating some "noise" from the system. I feel much better now that it's in.

Andi

• shotgun
    shotgun

Your right Andi..a Security system does give peace of mind...btw...the ring scared the bejeepers out of me...the same part as you..when she crawled out of the TV, I was on the opposite wall crawling towards the ceiling.

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier

My only negative response to the toilet backing up is: "Oh, sh*t!" and a few other expletives.

The last real startle I had was December 31,1999, we were sailing our boat in Mexico pacific waters, and were anchored off a little island known as Isla Isabella. It is a bird refuge, and has hundreds of thousands of birds on it - nesting Frigate birds, Boobies - brown and green and blue footeds, faerie terns, sea birds; Kewl place.

I was waking back to the cove where we were anchored to wait for the others who were hiking up to the top of a hill. I took a "short cut" as I lost the trail in 6' deep grass. I took a step on some downed grass and...... Startled a 6' green iguana who shot out of hiding in the grass. She, in turn, startled the hell out of me. It was only the startle factor. I'm not afraid of much.

Moments later, I'm picking my way along, and I hear this clacking of a beak. It was a male frigate bird sitting on his nest. They have a wingspand of 7-8 feet, and a beak that is 4-5 inches with a hook on the end. He was clacking his beak in warning. I looked up at him and his beak was only a foot from my face!

I calmly started talking to him in a soft voice and told him that I didn't mean to enter his territory, that I was just passing through, and moved away as easily as I could. He just sat there listening to me out of curiosity, instead of alarm. (If I had reached out to touch him, he would have bitten me).

Last winter vacation in Puerto Vallarta in one shop I held a tarantula. Let it walk up and down my arms and hands. She like to be scratched behind the head. Dont we all? Kevan just couldn't look. He HATES spiders. They creep him out. Snakes are kewl, too.

To get my "thrills" I LOVE roller coasters! I scream and scream. Kids on the coasters think I'm weird - they're right! Great way to get any anxiety out and exercise the lungs!

On vacation a couple years ago we stopped at Lagoon Park outside of Salt lake City. They have 2 or 3 roller coasters. We went on the big one 4 times, It has 2 spirals and I visually blacked out on them due to the G-force. Great fun!

Ok, so I lack much in the way of phobias, except fear of falling, and just a little clostrophobia. It keeps life very facinating!

Hugs and screams

Brenda

• Preston
    Preston

Well, I doubt (nothing) scares you Terry....there has to be something...

airplanes, amusement park rides that throw people hundreds of feet in the air, giant animals?

I know nothing scares me more that those "He's a Lady" commercials....(Shudder)

• SAHS
    SAHS

When I turn off the TV in the finished basement downstairs and turn off the light, it?s fairly dark for a few seconds while I walk up the stairs. I?m totally relaxed before I turn off the light, but during that short walk up the stairs in the dark, I sort of get increasingly anxious as I approach the door knob (there are lights already on upstairs?relief!). Now, I know that it is logically irrational, but I just can?t help thinking about certain scenes from The X-Files, like the one at the beginning of one episode where that somewhat mythological flying bird creature (I forget what it?s called) suddenly lunges at that old man in a wheelchair and savagely kills him. (It?s some ?goat-sucking demon? called something like a ?capybara? or ?el capuchara? or something?I dunno. Whatever.)

I?m sure that, in all honesty, for a lot of us, that ?relatively short? walk from where you turned out the light where you are to where you turn on the next light is a rather, . . . . shall we say, . . . . ?long,? nerve-racking journey!

?SAHS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit