Reaching out to the shunned

by Elsewhere 12 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

http://www.ctnow.com/news/local/hc-jehovah1022.artoct22,0,3817289.story?coll=hc-headlines-local

Reaching Out To The Shunned

By FRANCES GRANDY TAYLOR , Courant Staff Writer Joseph Whedbee Jr. used to be an elder in the Jehovah's Witness church, also known as the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society. He went door to door to evangelize and spoke at annual conventions. But, he said, when his doubts led him to formally dissociate from the organization in 1990, he was shunned, even by family members.

"My sister hasn't said hello to me in 10 years," said Whedbee, 56. "I'm willing to speak to her, but she won't speak to me. She would not speak to me at our grandmother's funeral. She just got up and left the room."

Whedbee and Mike LaRue, 55, who has been his friend since their childhood in Waterbury where they both were raised in the faith, are reaching out to others who have left the church.

About six months ago, the two men began meeting regularly with several other former Witnesses to talk about their experiences, including feelings of isolation and loss.

On Saturday, the group, which is so new it doesn't have a name, will host a daylong seminar at the Timexpo Museum in Waterbury. The seminar is called "Learning to Love Again," and will include a panel discussion and talks by former members.

Many people who have left the faith miss not only the closeness of family and loved ones; they also feel estranged from God, said LaRue, 55, who left the church about 20 years ago.

"They're in limbo. ... They've been taught not to attend other churches, and they feel they can't go back [to Jehovah's Witnesses]," LaRue said. "They feel out of the grasp of God's graces."

There are about 6.2 million Jehovah's Witnesses worldwide, including about 14,000 in Connecticut, which has 136 congregations. They believe in God, Jesus and a future paradise on earth, and they emphasize strong marriages and close family relations. The world headquarters, known as Bethel, is on a sprawling campus in Brooklyn, N.Y.

J.R. Brown, a national spokesman, said people who voluntarily withdraw from the church or become inactive are visited a few times a year by elders of their local congregations.

"Sometimes things happen that prevent a person from participating. We check to see if they need help or would be interested in reinstatement," said Brown. "If they do not wish to be contacted further, we respect that."

A member can also be disfellowshipped, a serious and formal procedure that leads to ejection from the church, after a person has committed a sin such as public drunkenness and failed to sincerely repent, Brown said. When a person is disfellowshipped, his or her name is announced during a Kingdom Hall meeting. Family members may have routine and necessary contact with the person, but others outside the household are not supposed to invite the person to their homes or give the person any greeting or acknowledgement. The names of people who have been disfellowshipped are placed on a list, and they are visited once a year by an elder.

"The motive is so the person will be shamed and repent his action," Brown said. "The disfellowshipped are not our enemy. ... Our hearts grieve for someone [for whom] this has become necessary."

Whedbee said he started to have doubts about the faith when he began reading older versions of the Watchtower publication, which the church discourages. The discrepancies troubled him.

He now serves on the board of Biblical Research and Commentary International, a nationwide association of former Jehovah's Witnesses formed in 1983. The group has a website, www.brci.org and a toll-free help line 800-WHY-1914 (800-949-1914).

"We get anonymous calls from people who want to talk about what they are going through," Whedbee said. "When they leave they often have no friends, because every friend they ever had was in Jehovah's Witness."

Whedbee and LaRue have since joined other Christian denominations.

"We're not trying to start another religion," LaRue said. "We just feel that because of our own experiences we have a special obligation, because we know what these people are going through."

• Bryan
    Bryan

Very nice.

bttt

Bryan

• Special K
    Special K

Very interesting.

Special K

• blondie
    blondie

I have met Joe twice at the BRCI conference in Chicago, last year and this year. He is one of the directors.

http://www.brci.org/board.html

He is quite active in helping people leave the WTS.

Biblical Research Commentary International (BRCI)

The BRCI directors are former Jehovah's Witnesses and committed Christians. All of them discontinued association with Jehovah?s Witnesses because of conscientious disagreements they had with Watchtower teachings. Many were very active within the Watchtower organization for decades and held highly visible, responsible positions, such as Pioneers, Elders, Circuit or District Overseers, or members of the headquarters staff (Bethel Family). Their experience makes them uniquely qualified to discuss Watchtower teachings and practices intelligently and with insight. Most BRCI directors (though not all) are affiliated with traditional churches. All have proven over many years that they are willing to go out of their way to help others. They have also shown an ability to talk to others and discuss issues kindly (some of which are highly emotional and of deep and immediate personal impact), without imposing their views. To send email to any BRCI board member, click on the ?Send Email to ...? link. If your computer is set up to send email, your email program will open a new message addressed to that person.
    Blondie
  • kwintestal
    kwintestal
    J.R. Brown, a national spokesman, said people who voluntarily withdraw from the church or become inactive are visited a few times a year by elders of their local congregations.

Really now!

Kwin

• blondie
    blondie

That policy for the elders to visit the DF'd (and DA'd) started in 1991. Every year there is a reminder to the elders in the kingdom ministry. They are only supposed to visit once a year and they don't have to visit those they view dangerous spiritually.

In practice, the elders visit few inactive or DF'd. My husband said they would assign certain ones to each elder. Then the elders would do "drive bys." The 2 elders would drive past the person's house and determine they weren't home and then cross them off the list.

w91 4/15 p. 23 Imitate God?s Mercy Today ***

Once a year at most, the body of elders should consider whether there are such persons living in their territory. The elders would focus on those who have been expelled for over a year. According to the circumstances, if it is appropriate, they would assign two elders (hopefully ones familiar with the situation) to visit such an individual. No visit would be made on any who evidence a critical, dangerous attitude or who have made it known that they want no help

km 9/01 p. 3 Announcements ***
    The elders are reminded to follow through on instructions given on pages 21-3 of the April 15, 1991, Watchtower regarding any disfellowshipped or disassociated ones who may be inclined toward becoming reinstated.

Blondie

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

Thank you Blondie.

I see there is a pre-requisite for their visit:

who may be inclined toward becoming reinstated.

How would they know either way if they haven't been in contact with them for a year?

Kwin

• Special K
    Special K

Sheesh!..

Then the elders would do "drive bys."

They do sound like some kind of gang, don't they?

They haven't called on us in a long,long time. I think,.. no.. I know my husband had something to do with that. We are those really, really, "pigs back to mire" type of apostates I guess. lol.

Special K

• HappyDad
    HappyDad

Better not stand behind J. Brown............

Brown said. "The disfellowshipped are not our enemy. ...

when his britches break.......there will be a real "mudslide"! If he ever wakes up and leaves the borg.......he could make a fortune as a PR man for some fly-by-night firm.

My mother was DF'd in 1973 and still went to meetings for almost 20 years. When that 'visiting' the df'd arraingement came into effect shortly after I resigned as an elder.........they NEVER went to visit her at all even though I still picked her up for the meetings.

I just wish she was still alive today so me and my daughter could show and tell her all the lies.

My daughter tells me that "grandma" and her did a lot of talking and grandma really didn't care about the "troof" but faked it for me. DAMN.......I wish I would have left sooner.

HappyDad

• ESTEE
    ESTEE
    "They're in limbo. ... They've been taught not to attend other churches, and they feel they can't go back [to Jehovah's Witnesses]," LaRue said. "They feel out of the grasp of God's graces."

Yes, the elders certainly did a thorough brainwashing of their members.

The elders would certainly have us believe that our spirituality is somehow not accessible unless we are jw. However, we were born with a spiritual side, and common sense tells me that I do not have to be a jw to have a healthy spirituality. Especially since, while a jw, I was very unhealthy spiritually!

When we start hearing that little brainwashed voice in our heads saying we are out of God's graces, talk back to it! Tell it where to go! And start to rebuld your life and your belief system with healthy belief patterns. Lose the Fear-based beliefs of the jdubs. How could anything that is fear-based be healthy!? That is just sick!!!

Love,

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit