Children's Book for Athiests

by StinkyPantz 10 Replies latest jw friends

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

I'd like the perspective of thiests and athiests alike: what do you think about such a book? Maybe not THIS book in particular, but the whole concept of a children's book that gives a simple view of athiesm? As an agnostic, married to an athiest, I like the idea. From a very early age our children will be bombarded with religion.. I like the idea of something countering that (other than mom and dad).

What About Gods?

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    What About Gods?

How about:

"Give up, there's NOTHING to Believe in." or

"BELIEF, FAITH ... WHO Needs It?" or

"You're Born, You Die, Get Over It"

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    "You're Born, You Die, Get Over It"

True, but might be a bit too harsh for a kid's book..

"Give up, there's NOTHING to Believe in." or

"BELIEF, FAITH ... WHO Needs It?" or

There are plenty of things to "believe in" or have faith in.. just not "gods"..

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

What about children's book for children? I guess that wouldn't "teach" them anything though.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    What about children's book for children?

Unsure what you mean..

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Well I just mean there's all this influence on trying to condition children to be a certain way, even if it is in an effort to present both sides of an issue to be balanced. If anything the great things about kids is that they don't have those preconceived ideas and prejudices, it would be nice if there was more of an effort to help them retain that rather than shape them a particular way. After all, in the end any good parent would want their kids to think for themselves wouldn't they?

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Mark-

After all, in the end any good parent would want their kids to think for themselves wouldn't they?

Of course, but part of making good decisions and enhance thinking abilities is by being educated/informed. Here in the U.S., we are bombarded by Judeo-Christian thinking. If I can give me child a different perspective via an informative children's book, then I will. Many children's books are learning tools under the guise of fun.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I hear you Stinky. It just seems like often the part of psychological freedom is left out or pushed out by some particular way of thinking though, and this is the part I am concerned about. Kids certainly need to be informed to function in the world, but I think they and we would all be better if we never forgot that freedom - atleast be reminded from time to time. I wonder if there are children's books with the theme that regardless of religious belief or lack thereof, we can be friends with each other.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    I wonder if there are children's books with the theme that regardless of religious belief or lack thereof, we can be friends with each other.

I doubt this book tries to go against the accepting of religious people. Also, this book (any book) is merely a tool for parents. I wouldn't, and I hope no one, leaves the raising of their child(ren) to a book. It's a fun, simple way to introduce the concept of athiesm.

It just seems like often the part of psychological freedom is left out or pushed out by some particular way of thinking though, and this is the part I am concerned about.

Okay, should we not let our children read at all ? Any book, I suppose, could potentially infringe on someone's 'psychological freedom'. I think though, that some books are great learning tools.

I also don't think ANYTHING surrounding religion should be pushed on children. Ultimately that is their decision to make. I didn't have the concept of athiesm introduced until a high school, and I feel I missed out. I would like to offer my children alternatives/choices.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

I agree the information is a different matter from the actual raising of the child, that's what I'm trying to say regarding freedom and choices - they are different. I'm not saying don't expose them to the information at all or that there's anything wrong with it, but just that there's more to it than that. As far as I'm concerned the freedom is before any choices, you are limited by your choices by virtue of the implication that you have to choose out of a finite list of some kind. So sure, you are free to choose anything from the number of things you are aware of, be it belief system/world views or whatever, but the other side is you are also free not to choose any of it. In a way that's the agnostic position right, you're not taking the side of theism or atheism. Like the movie Brewster's Millions, "none of the above." Thinking outside of the box as opposed to a bigger box with more things in it if you will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit