Ozzie's Weekend Poll #117

by ozziepost 16 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day, g'day all!

Strange but great times downunder this week!

Rain!!!! Oh, bliss!! Oh, joy!!! Ain't rain marvellous!

OK, now when will it stop so's we can get back to summer?

What we need is something to take our minds off the election weather, so settle back and let's go polling.

This weekend's poll question is:

Why were smurfs and cabbage patch dolls bad?

1. The Watchtower said so.

2. The elders told me.

3. I heard strange noises around them at night.

4. They smiled, didn't they?

5. The Bible says you shouldn't make an image of anything so they must be bad.

6. They were worldly.

7. They remind people of having a good time.

8. They were different.

9. Children should not be allowed to have toys.

10. They are just like fairies and elves and we know they are from the devil.

11. The borg is no place for children!

12. Well, I heard this story about this person somewhere who.........

13. Other (please detail)

I'm sure there is much more that can be told about this episode in the dub's history (which conveniently isn't officially documented by the WTS as generating a "witch=hunt"), so settle down with a nice drink and reminisce (and be thankful about what you're away from!)

Enjoy.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Hi Ozzie,

Seems this kind of stuff has big geographical (or linguistical) variations.

I just heard about the smurfs once (not seriously). And I don't know what a cabbage patch doll is...

For a French Urban Legend (once common amongst JWs but not exclusively) see

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/79491/1.ashx

• under74
    under74

Wait-- cabbage patch kids were demonized!? Well, it doesn't matter my mom could never afford to buy me one anyway. I'll say it was 10,11, and 12. I never heard these stories from elders...just the everybody else at the KH. Besides Smurfs, I also heard stories about E.T. and we weren't allowed to watch He-Man because it was demonic.

• under74
    under74

Narkissos- they were ugly doll's very popular in the early 1980s. http://www.cabbagepatchkids.com/

• kwintestal
    kwintestal

I was told a story one time about a person who had a smurf in bed and couldn't breathe. They took the kid's shirt off, and saw a shadow of a smurf on the kids chest.

I had a Cabbage Patch Kid, never heard any stories about them, however I wasn't permitted to have Trash Can Kids, or Garbage Can Kids (whatever they were called) trading cards because many times they had greusome depictions. I also had to throw out an Ewok book I had bought. I wanted to sell it to someone in my class, but my dad said that the demons in the book would transfer to the money so I had to throw it out.

Kwin

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Oz, this really happened to me. One time, when I was still a Witless, I was in a mall store and was looking at some items on a shelf, just shopping around, when I suddenly became aware of a strong buzzing vibration in the air. It seemed strongest at my back, so I quickly turned around and a WHOLE WALL of Smurf dolls were shelved behind me that I hadn't noticed before. I gotthehelloutta there.

I believe now that what happened was a direct result of the brain-washing from the WT-BATS and that even my spirit was conditioned to have a reaction of that sort to Smurfs, because of the rumors and innuendos flying around throughout the borganization. In real life, I would never have considered a stuffed blue-haired troll doll to have any significance where "evil" is concerned.

• blondie
    blondie

13. Other

I guess I never heard anything bad from JWs about Smurfs or Cabbage Patch dolls. Not that there weren't other urban legends. I did hear a mention from the stage at a circuit assembly that some people were passing around a story about a Smurf doll getting up and running off at a meeting. The brother said that was not true and the people passing around that rumor were passing around a lie. These are the points he brought out. If the rank and file listened, I don't know. (We had more stories about people seeing glowing faces in the dark and objects levitating.)

w84 9/1 Would You Spread a Rumor?

Yes, some stories we hear may be true. But common sense will tell us that in any nation, village or even organization, rumors will spread, especially rumors that reflect the basic desires or fears of the community. And there always exists a strong possibility that a rumor is, at best, a distortion of the truth. Hence, if you hear a story and cannot pinpoint the source of it, think for yourself and be sure of your facts before you pass it on to others. Remember, "in the abundance of words there does not fail to be transgression, but the one keeping his lips in check is acting discreetly." (Proverbs 10:19) Do not be a channel for rumor, but rather, be a "dead end." Thus you will fulfill the words of the apostle Paul: "Wherefore, now that you have put away falsehood, speak truth each one of you with his neighbor, because we are members belonging to one another."?Ephesians 4:25.

Rumors are persistent. Once started, they are difficult to stop

If you spread a rumor, you may be spreading a lie

(At work though there was a woman who spent most of her work day hunting down an elusive Cabbage Patch doll to buy for her daughter. It was an obsession. We thought she was 'possessed.')

Blondie

I'm always chasing rainbows
    Watching clouds drifting by
    My dreams are just like all my schemes
    Ending in the sky

Some fellas search and find the sunshine
    I always look and find the rain
    Some fellas make a winning sometime
    I never even make a gain
    Believe me

Waiting to find a little bluebird in vain

Watching clouds drifting by
    My dreams are just like all my schemes
    Ending in the sky

Some fellas search and find the sunshine
    I always look and find the rain
    Some fellas make a winning sometime
    I never even make a gain
    Believe me

Waiting to find a little bluebird in vain

• under74
    under74

"I wanted to sell it to someone in my class, but my dad said that the demons in the book would transfer to the money so I had to throw it out." LOL-that's so retarded and funny. I never heard the one about the the kids chest. The first one I heard about was the smurf at a KH in a seat next to a little girl and when an elder got up to give a talk the smurf gave him the finger and got out of the seat and walked out of the KH. And then there was one about smurf wall paper in a baby's nursery...where demons came out when the paper was being removed. I heard another one like this but there was some other design on the wallpaper in the other story...

• Mulan
    Mulan

I would have to say that I have heard of this but never heard it from anyone who had any authority. So, I guess it was all rumors. I don't remember my kids being all that taken with smurfs, but they seemed harmless to me.

As for Cabbage Patch dolls, I never heard they were bad. I thought they were adorable.

• Princess
    Princess

I had a smurf figurine...small smurfette. I guess I heard rumors about them and most parents didn't allow their kids to have them but I don't think anyone knew why.

Never heard anything bad about Cabbage Patch Kids.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit