Did You Believe EVERYTHING On The News Was Prophecy Being Fulfilled?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I remember back in the late 70's when the US tried to rescue the hostages being held in Iran. The rescue Helicopters collided and crashed before the rescue. The buzz around the congregations in our area was that Watchtower prophecy was being fulfilled. They were quoting some pages out of some out-of-print Watchtower book which I can't remember the name of at this time. (your word is a lamp???...I can't remember if that was the book or not). I remember reading the pages and still couldn't make the connection.

But, it was proof enough that Armageddon was Right around the corner, and just seconds away on Jehovah's clock.

• minimus
    minimus

There will always be doomsayers. This cult loves you to be paranoid at all times----just in case it's the Big One.

• heathen
    heathen

True the WTBTS has erred in many ways but that still doesn't mean that the bible itself is wrong . I still think the US is a corrupt political monster trying to rule the entire world and everytime GW or anyother world leader uses the term peace and security by invading other countries always gives me the gitters .

• SAHS
    SAHS

My mom is certainly like that. If there?s anything in the news about international or civil conflicts, or about local squabbles or acts of violence, then she says, ?See, that?s fulfilling the scripture that says that at Armageddon ?every man?s hand will be against his brother,? but if there?s anything about politicians talking about trying to get peace, then she says, ?See, they?re going to try and get peace, and some day they?ll succeed and cry ?peace and security!?

So, no matter what is happening in the world, that mind-set is always thinking that it shows the ?end? is coming any time.

I can certainly identify with the poster who talked about a sinking feeling in the pit of their stomach. I got those damn surges of butterflies, grief, and knots in my tummy whenever my mom would talk to my dad about world events. I think the best remedy for untying those knots is Food At the Proper Time (which shows a list of, um, ?developments? of WT doctrine and prophecy over the last century) . . . available for free download from www.freeminds.org. I find that this little gem does a great job of shining a search light at that old ?man behind the curtain,? and tends to ?cure what ailes ya.?

?SAHS

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

I remember back in 1975 when the end was supposed to come...I was in Kindergarten, I remember my mother talking to one of the sisters on the phone about the prediction, my stomach sank...all I could think about at that young age was, 'will I make it'? have I been good? I was paranoid every time even after that when I listened to the news. My mother too related everything to the time of the end....it's no wonder I had ulcers and asthma....I was a nervous wreck...Now....I'm not a big news junkie...I'll listen to highlights but not details.....and anytime I hear something really bad happening, I just shake my head and sigh 'there goes my mother, talking about the end of the world' .....I'm in a much calmer world now, what a relief.

• heathen
    heathen

SAHS--- You are right that is a very confusing doctrine of the WTBTS . They believe as stated in the grand climax book that the lamb beast of revelation is acting as an anti christ and a false prophet by saying there is peace and security when there is none and the only peace and security is in connection with jesus christ and not with man made political ideology or military force .

• minimus
    minimus

Eve, isn't it something how children can get adversely affected by the religion? Ulcers, nerves----terrible that little kids can't live a normal life.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Oh yes, I was one of those JWs all into it in the 80's. By my firm beliefs and the way I acted you'd think the end would've been here by now.

Those days are long gone and forgotten now.

DY

• minimus
    minimus

post 1975 blues & paranoia....

• Evesapple
    Evesapple

AMEN!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit