Dinah, Jacob's daughter...

by under74 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Also, I'm pretty sure that the antitypical "rape of Dinah" was fulfilled when the governing body were imprisoned in 1918. After all, those boys were pretty geeky, they wouldn't last a minute in jail.

ROFLMAO!!!!!!!!!!!

• A Paduan
    A Paduan

Dinah ('judged')

• a maiden, ie. a soul without a husband (word)
    • she remains under judgement - ie. salvation according to works
    • she goes out (from the circumcised) to see the women of the field, their works of planting, their stories, and harvesting
    • the field is such as Cain worked in (and when he had him in the field he rose up against him) - a religion of works
    • one in high standing in that group (uncircumcised) saw the beauty/innocence of the maiden, wanted her and seized her unlawfully
    • the maiden was defiled when with him, and he asked his father (you are of your father, the devil) if he may have her (be her word)
    • her family rescued her, but her brothers were so angry that they wanted them to know what they didn't know, first (become circumcised)
    • attacked them when they were sore (grieving)

Sounds like a complete jw story, but I suppose the sin was in not forgiving them - so they made an altar.

Well - that's the way I heard it.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

A Paduan's allegorical interpretation made me look up what Philo says (2 millenia before).

On the Migration of Abraham, 222ff:

(222) So that never, O my mind, do thou become effeminate and yield; but even if any thing does appear difficult to be discovered by contemplation, still opening the seeing faculties that are in thyself, look inwards and investigate existing things more accurately, and never close the eyes whether intentionally or unintentionally; for sleep is a blind thing as wakefulness is a sharp-sighted thing. And it is well to be content if by assiduity in investigation it is granted to thee to arrive at a correct conception of the objects of thy search. (223) Do you not see that the scripture says that a lofty oak was planted in Sichem? meaning under this figurative expression to represent the labour of instruction which never gives in, and never bends through weariness, but is solid, firm, and invincible, which the man who wishes to be perfect must of necessity exert, in order that the tribunal of the soul, by name Dinah, for the interpretation of the name Dinah is "judgment" may not be seized by the exertions of that man who, being a plotter against prudence, is labouring in an opposite direction. (224) For he who bears the same name as this place, namely Sichem, the son of Hamor, that is, of irrational nature; for the name Hamor means "an ass;" giving himself up to folly and being bred up with shamelessness and audacity, infamous man that he was, attempted to pollute and to defile the judicial faculties of the mind; if the pupils and friends of wisdom, Sichem and Levi, had not speedily come up, having made the defences of their house safe, and destroyed those who were still involved in the labour devoted to pleasure and to the indulgence of the passions and uncircumcised. For though there was a sacred scripture that, "There should be no harlot among the daughters of the seer, Israel,"{104} these men, having ravished a virgin soul, hoped to escape notice; (225) for there is never a scarcity of avengers against those who violate treaties; but even though some persons fancy there may be, they will only fancy it, and will in the reality of the fact be proved to entertain a false opinion. For justice hates the wicked, and is implacable, and a relentless avenger of all unrighteous actions, overthrowing the ranks of those who defile virtue, and when they are overthrown, then again the soul, which before appeared to be defiled, changes and returns to its virgin state. I say, which appeared to be defiled, because, in fact, it never was defiled; for of involuntary accidents that which affects the patient is not in reality his suffering, just as what is done by a person who does wrong unintentionally, the wrong is not really his action.

On the change of names, 193ff:

Therefore the good man was speaking and saying things which were really good in his mind. But the bad man at times interprets good things in a very excellent manner, but nevertheless does shameful things in a most shameful one, as Shechem does who is the offspring of folly. For he is the son of Hamon his father, and the name Hamon, being translated, means "an ass," but the Shechem means "a shoulder" when interpreted, the symbol of labour. But that labour of which folly is the parent is miserable and full of suffering, as, on the other hand, that labour is useful to which prudence is related. (194) Accordingly the holy scriptures tell us that, "Shechem spake according to the mind of the virgin, having first humbled Her." It is not said then, with great purpose and accuracy, that he spake according to the mind of the damsel, for the purpose of showing distinctly that he acted in a contrary manner to that in which he spoke? For Dinah means "incorruptible judgment:" justice the attribute seated by God, the everlasting virgin; for the name Dinah, being interpreted, means either thing, "judgment" or "justice." (195) (...) And those who are prepared to avenge themselves on such profane and impure dispositions are Simeon and Levi, two indeed in number, but only one in mind; on which account, in his blessings of his sons, their father numbers them together under one classification, on account of the harmonious character of their unanimity and of their violence in one and the same direction. But Moses does not make any mention of them afterwards as a pair, but classes the whole tribe of Simeon under that of Levi, combining together two essences, of which he made one impressed as it were with one idea and appearance, hearing to doing.
  • A Paduan
    A Paduan

That's interesting - I had the feeling she wasn't actually sullied in some way

the maiden soul, looking and pondering - those who are counted worthy are neither married or given in marriage

• under74
    under74

Thanks for that -Narkissos and a Paduan-given me a little more to think about.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit