Dinah, Jacob's daughter...

by under74 24 Replies latest watchtower bible

• under74
    under74

Scully- Thanks for the insight. I have had some problems with this story and what you bring up about "property" is one of them. Narkissos- The interpretations of the word makes a lot more sense to me now. Thanks for breaking it down and putting it into context. Princess and Cicatrix- Thank you for the book recommendation. DaCheech- I have to go with Princess on not having any back-up for your first statement. The second statement kind of confused me... Shotgun- You're a funny, funny person. You too Link--I don't mind hearing some samurai jokes every once in a while.

• shotgun
    shotgun

WTBTS comments on the story of Dinah

**WT 12/32/05**

The depiction of the events as told in the bible account are accurate and true as can be seen by wide acceptance of this story. Further to this Alexander Hislop in his book The Two Babylons states "The biblical story of Dinah can be accepted as fact, the modern song which was actually Sumerian in origin clearly states and leaves no room for doubt when it emphatically states: Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah, someone's in the kitchen I know, someone's in the kitchen with Dinah and he's strumming on the old Banjo. It can't get much clearer than that!

• Cicatrix
    Cicatrix

LMAO Shotgun!I have that Two Babylons book, what page is that on?;)

• shotgun
    shotgun

cic

Sad to say, I would not be surprised if it is in there and he ties it to Nimrod some how as well.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Yeah, Jacob's boys were very righteous. They were so distressed over the disgraceful act of raping their sister, they decided that the only thing for a god fearing man to do was to go to Shechem and rape the whole damn town - yep, rape 'em right back:

29 They carried off all their wealth and all their women and children, taking as plunder everything in the houses.

Now, if I understand the concept of Bible justice correctly, God should assign someone to correct the correction by raping the whole nation of Israel.

God, God, God, what are you thinking?

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Also, I'm pretty sure that the antitypical "rape of Dinah" was fulfilled when the governing body were imprisoned in 1918. After all, those boys were pretty geeky, they wouldn't last a minute in jail.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I don't think the Genesis narrative holds Simeon and Levi as righteous (34:30):

Then Jacob said to Simeon and Levi, "You have brought trouble on me by making me odious to the inhabitants of the land, the Canaanites and the Perizzites; my numbers are few, and if they gather themselves against me and attack me, I shall be destroyed, both I and my household."

The final "blessing" of Jacob on them turns out to be a curse (49:5ff):

Simeon and Levi are brothers;
    weapons of violence are their swords.
    May I never come into their council;
    may I not be joined to their company--
    for in their anger they killed men,
    and at their whim they hamstrung oxen.
    Cursed be their anger, for it is fierce,
    and their wrath, for it is cruel!
    I will divide them in Jacob,
    and scatter them in Israel.

This judgement is in complete opposition to the Deuteronomistic standard (Deuteronomy 7:1ff), which would rather side with Simeon and Levi:

When the LORD your God brings you into the land that you are about to enter and occupy, and he clears away many nations before you--the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations mightier and more numerous than you-- and when the LORD your God gives them over to you and you defeat them, then you must utterly destroy them. Make no covenant with them and show them no mercy. Do not intermarry with them, giving your daughters to their sons or taking their daughters for your sons, for that would turn away your children from following me, to serve other gods. Then the anger of the LORD would be kindled against you, and he would destroy you quickly. But this is how you must deal with them: break down their altars, smash their pillars, hew down their sacred poles, and burn their idols with fire. For you are a people holy to the LORD your God; the LORD your God has chosen you out of all the peoples on earth to be his people, his treasured possession.
  • under74
    under74

Narkissos you've given me something else to think about--the Bible mentions the two rampaging son's after the Dinah incident but I don't see where Dinah's ever mentioned after her brother's take her from the man's house... Shotgun- I'm going to have to look up this book from Alexander Hislop....is it very good?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Under74

Dinah is not mentioned again in the Bible, but the story is told and retold in a number of different ways in non-canonical literature; generally the Shechemites appear as villains (Dinah is only 12 years old in the Book of Jubilees) and Simeon and Levi are praised for the slaughter (which was ordered by the angel of the Lord according to Testament of Levi).

As a side note, Dinah later becomes Job's wife in the Book of Biblical Antiquities (8:7f) and in the Testament of Job (1:5f) -- his second wife in the latter case.

Btw, there is a slight possibility that Shotgun might be joking about Hislop

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/78979/1.ashx

• under74
    under74

my goodness, you just blew me away with all your knowledge Narkissos. Thank you for the information. -- I was just re-reading what shotgun had written in this thread and realized there was a tone of sarcasim...I'm slow sometimes--but thanks for the link to the other thread.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit