Watchtower has a Philosophy of Totalism

by OnTheWayOut 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Cults tend to have a TOTAL explanation for everything- everything that ever happened, everything that is happening now, and everything that ever will happen.  That certainly fits Watchtower.  They have a black-and-white perception of everything, they are never wrong, there are no gray areas.  Either you are 100% with them or you are with the enemy deserving of destruction.  

Watchtower wields the absolute power of a totalitarinism and teaches that their doctrines are absolute (until they change them, then they are NOW absolute).  Benito Mussolini and fascism politicized every last aspect of daily life in WW 2 Italy, going so far as to abolish things like art-for-art's-sake and made everything about the state, within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state and any art was for the sake of the state. Watchtower does the same but calls it "spiritual."  Every aspect of life should be about Jehovah (or His organization), within Jehovah's organization, nothing outside of the organization, nothing against the organization.  Any art or music or entertainment would be spiritually up-building or else should be limited if not eliminated.  

The members should expect that the leaders have their best interests in mind and completely trust them without question.

In the past, people were drawn to Jehovah's Witnesses because they had an answer for everything.  Only in the information age and with former JW's managing to get together have those answers been easily shown to be flawed.  But many members don't see that yet.  To keep them from examining things, the totalism is enforced on the members.  You must totally agree with everything- teachings about the past, the present, the future, the lifestyle that should now be the norm, shunning, thinking that the leaders have members' best interests in mind, EVERYTHING.  Or you are not worthy of everlasting life.  

Members are to be "no part of the world."  This aspect of totalism is separatism.  For the most part, they are "in the world, but no part of the world" unless they are at Bethel.  But they still isolate themselves by who their friends are, as they should only be JW.  They should limit their time with non-JW family.  They should avoid birthday cake at work or school and anything to do with holidays.  Basically, they are in the world to earn money to give to the cause and to recruit.  The only good associations are JW's that are in good standing.  They even should limit association with those that they consider weak JW's.  Weakness is defined by how much a member follows/believes/gives time to the Watchtower.

A problem for Watchtower (and a glimmer of hope for us) is the lack of true closeness within this totalism.  Members are afraid not to be always 100% pro-organization at all times in all situations when they talk with each other or help each other with anything.  They are not really engaging with the authentic persons or the non-cult personalities of the members.  Instead of freely exchanging thoughts on politics, sports, hobbies, and growing from discussions and disagreements, members of Watchtower are to be having deep discussions on "this week's study article" or points from the assembly or other things involving the totalism of being a JW.  (Many have stories where they are in a car group for recruiting and they start joking around about something and Brother Elder or Sister Pioneer insists they steer back to spiritual discussions.)  There are no Devil's advocate types of discussions and everyone will look to the printed material to form their opinion on anything.  Conversations become superficial.  There is only brief small-talk and then Watchtower-talk.  

I say that situation is a problem for their totalism because it doesn't sit well with the members.  It pings at their cognitive dissonance when they joke about the "pioneer stroll" or how they would like to have "that house there" when Jehovah destroys those members of Christendom.  It gives headaches and heartaches to parents as they hear another lecture about the evils of sending their kids to college.  

Finding and nurturing one's authentic self comes from developing your own thoughts, talking with others that agree and disagree for their own reasons, being challenged by such conversations and either thinking more deeply about why you feel the way you do or perhaps by changing what you feel when challenged.  

Watchtower is going through huge turmoil right now.  Members may fall in line with groupthink and trust the organization, but it will ping their authentic self or their non-cult personality.  We cannot always "pounce" on every last thing as that will reinforce their ideas that things outside of the organization are "persecution" but we must at least pull at such opportunities, look for a way to discuss things that reach authentic personalities.  Shunned people should probably reach out at least at family milestones, be they weddings or funerals or graduations or other important events.  Try to invite Grandpa to the graduation or send a card and photo to your brother or whatever you can do at times.

Anyway, your thoughts are welcome to add to this as I seem to be finishing up my thoughts.

• Simon
    Simon
    They have a black-and-white perception of everything, they are never wrong, there are no gray areas.  Either you are 100% with them or you are with the enemy deserving of destruction.

The truly awful part for me is that they are so black and white and yet when they change (and they often do) there is no apology or sense that they did wrong to people who they booted out for holding beliefs that they themselves now follow.

The reality is that it doesn't matter what they believe or what you believe - all that matters is that you believe WHAT they believe WHEN they tell you to believe it.

Anything else and you're toast.

Most people I think just go through the motions and don't really know what their current beliefs are supposed to be other than some vague wishy-washy general christian "Jesus is god's son" with maybe "1914" and "armageddon" added as an afterthought.

• smiddy
    smiddy

I tend to think that 99% of Jehovah witnesses have no real Idea of what the current teachings are at any given time , how could they when they are in a continual state of flux.

smiddy

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

While they have a very good/evil worldview with no gray areas, in reality the world is full of gray areas. Consequently, JWs in Mexico compromised and paid bribes while JWs in Malawi refused to compromise and died. Many JWs died refusing blood therapy under threat by WT, while others are allowed to take blood... but only after fractionation. Their bedroom laws, dating, etc. are crazy with huge areas termed "brazen", "loose", "unclean", etc. "Did you touch her boobs? Over or under her clothes? Did she resist? Was it touching or caressing? For how long? Blah, blah, blah" What happens in the investigation/JC and the consequences are determined by local kangaroo courts. And the clothing rules? It really shows that they are completely concerned about the appearance of the outside of the cup while the inside can be filled with toxins.

Of course, WT can't leave the thinking and decision-making to the individual. They want a high level of control. Yet I don't think they'd issue uniforms to all JWs because the individual's choice of clothing is a way to judge them and keep them under a level of fear. And for the single sisters there's a fear of getting in trouble vs. the fear of not getting noticed by guys and winding up like the elderly single pioneer sister with hairy legs and 27 cats.

In my personal experience, having lived a life that stayed clear of the gray areas as a good JW, as soon as I did something "in the gray area" that the rest of the BoE could take issue with, they chose to bring down the hammer on me! This turned out interesting since what the BoE said that I did was terribly wrong... yet my family had known about what was going on beforehand and didn't see anything wrong. And other local JWs I talked to afterward were in shock that the BoE took issue with something far less significant than issues in the lives of those other elders. And what I didn't wasn't a significant as flying a flag in front of the local KH.

I don't know how clear I'm being, but while it's a cult that views everything in black-and-white, there are huge gray areas in between that cause chaos in the way JWs love to harshly judge... or completely ignore any perceived infraction.

• royaltoon55
    royaltoon55

That list of countries seems so bizarre. I tried the term "grumpy cat", and it was U.S., Canada, Hungary, Australia, New Zealand, Latvia,

Puerto Rico. Something more like I would expect. Evidently, most of the world would agree with grumpy cat...

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

And most of those absolutes are going to get many a witless in real trouble.  Worse than the pedophiles.  Worse than the blood issue.  Worse even than the education issue.

You see, most of those absolutes go against nature.  They go against the energies of the planets and stars.  They go against basic common sense.  They don't reason "Now is a bad time to go to college.  Saturn in Sagittarius, plus the threat of the dollar becoming toilet paper and you getting your college debt revalued in absurd amounts of silver, all weigh against going to college at this time.  It might be better to wait until January 2018.  Saturn will be in Capricorn by then, the dollar will be history, tuition prices will have crashed, the Rockefellers will have been wiped out, and you will get a better education for much less (or no) debt."  Rather, it is "College is bad.  There are so many horrible things going on there, and your time would be better spent serving God."

And most of their financial rules are rubbish.  How many jokehovians have anything invested at all, in any form?  Many lack even a steady income.  Most lack barter skills.  They don't spend the time needed to develop these skills.  What little money they do get goes right into the Worldwide Damnation Fund or wasted in field circus.  Nothing left to prepare for the day when the electricity grid will be unstable.  Nothing left to buy silver and gold for the day when the dollar becomes toilet paper.  No latitude to decide how much silver or gold, or when, to buy.  Instead, it will be wasted and they will be left with nothing.  Many are left with nothing even without hyperinflation--pious-sneers on miserable incomes or nothing at all.  Imagine what happens when you throw in a dollar that doesn't buy anything into the mix--and it is awful-terrible to do anything about it.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Simon, yes- no apologies.  And while they no longer use the term, "present-truth," it is clear that it is still the way of the Watchtower.  Present truth must be forced to change because of the passage of time without Armageddon's arrival or because of the money needs of the corporation.

smiddy, I recall discussing some things with my JW mother.  She keeps totally up on her doctrinal understanding and knows what the overlap is, but cannot explain it.  She thinks it must fit in with the idea that 1975 was the 6000-years anniversary of Adam's creation and that's Eve's creation is unknown to us (but not to Satan).  Most JW's don't hold old light as solidly as my mother, but they similarly have no good explanation for current teachings or else they know them well and just ping their cognitive dissonance to think about them.

Billy, uniforms would look too weird to the outsiders.  Thanks for the laugh about the pioneer cat lady.  And there are gray areas, but not to Headquarters or your local BoE.  A handful of things are conscience matters and the conscience should be trained by the literature and the leaders.  Anything where they didn't clearly spell out directions, you should come to them and ask and abandon an independent path when they tell you something different.

Royaltoon55, please work out your posting situation.  You must have posted the wrong thing here.  If you are trying to learn your way into joining the forum, welcome.  If you are trolling or advertising, good day.

• flipper
    flipper

OTWO- Excellent thread. Very well put. I remember CONSTANTLY when I was a JW years ago being in cars with devout J-dubs who would try to steer the conversations away from anything not pertaining to JW topics or allegedly " spiritual " topics. Drove me nuts. Because like you say- you can never get to know the REAL person you were going out in field service with. You'd only know the JW cult person that you were with. Pretty creepy really. I was so " independent " in my thinking though- I'd still try to talk about " worldly " or non-JW topics out in service. LOL.

And yeah, good viewpoint on the " totalism " thing. I remember JW's making excuses for previous faulty doctrines or beliefs by saying, " well the light gets brighter, it's like a ship tacking in the sea always going forward but going back and forth " like the early 1980's WT stated. So expressions would be used by the WT Society in publications " are you advancing with Jehovah's progressive organization " or " are you moving forward " - the thought was put forth that if you weren't moving forward . then you were only lagging behind moving backwards getting " spiritually weak ". It was all part of that totalism thing - " a person is either in or they're out ". Then we had the JW's who would really cop out by saying, " well, the faithful slave and Governing body are just imperfect men being used by Jehovah. There are bound to be mistakes, but Jehovah CORRECTS those mistakes through the years. The light gets brighter ! "

So as you mentioned in your opening thread Witnesses WILL and always HAVE made excuses for the GB - ANYTHING to keep the view of totalism in place - even if it makes no sense at all. But you have it right ; great suggestions to keep dropping off little hints to our JW family's as just one comment or observation may make them think and prick their sense of authentic reasoning if we catch them when they are in " authentic " mode, not " cult " mode. But that can be a real trick deciphering when that moment is there , and when it's not. Great thread 

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

WTWizard, they don't allow differences of opinion, but they act like their "reasons" are the end-all of the discussion.  What they don't do is they don't admit the real reasons- "College is bad 'for us.'  Your kids learn critical thinking and how we use faulty logic and they leave the religion, maybe even teaching you parents what is wrong with Watchtower."   And they certainly don't know financial planning.  I hear young JW's today making the same mistakes that older JW's made- "The end is certainly within 10 (or 20) years.  No point in investing in the future of this system of things."

• DATA-DOG
    DATA-DOG

They have all the answers, except for when they are confronted with their wrongdoing, then they are fallible men doing their best. 

Yes, they are a totalitarian religion. They have no true spiritual center ( if there is such a thing ) that is why they are a materialist/XIAN sect. They are one of the most materialistic ( having all the answers/pseudo intellectualism/legalistic ) sects on the planet. 

This lack of "spirituality" breeds the desire to control the material world, the lives of others and how they can have "approved" worship. Yep, totalitarians...

DD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit