JWs Proselytizing on University Campus!!!

by outnfree 27 Replies latest jw friends

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

So howz about you set up your table...then go to one of the websites (I think it's Shaun's Research) and print out their, "THINGS YOU CANNOT DO IF YOU BECOME A JW". It lists all the holidays, birthdays, silly crap, etc. that comes with JW life. I think it's about 3-pages long. It's impressive & would make a nice hand-out at your table. I had this idea because I want to do it someday myself when I come across one of their tables. Oh yes, "Good Luck"...oops can't say that.

-BONEZZ

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

I agree with FranklinJ. Go about your life and ignore them completely.

DY

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

They were at my University a few weeks back. They weren't even trying to get people's attention. They had a table set up for several hours and just chatted.

• jwbot
    jwbot

OH OH! I wish they came to my university. I would have a lot of fun with that. Another bible guy comes by and hands out green bibles. I took one and had a good conversation but its not my type of thing. I want to act like I never heard of them and ask them tons and tons of questions and make them look stupid.

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Cults like to recruit at colleges because they run into young people who may be living away from home for the first time or kids newly in the country from Asia or other places - in a word, vulnerable. So, they offer a warm brotherhood, in exchange for their soul.

On the other hand, I believe that it presents more of a danger than an opportunity. University students are more likely to make a quick check of the internet after initial contact, and return with some pretty probing and awareness-raising questions. The JWs would be well advised to go back to door knocking.

In our area, they gave several experiences at one of the conventions a few years back. I don't know how its working out for them, but it appears to be popular.

• david_10
    david_10

Very interesting thread.

Hi Everyone-------I've been away from the board for a while. Outnfree, don't let it get you down. Just mind your business and have a good day. I think that FranklinJ is right. And Oroborus, too, even though he might be a little condescending about it. (Drop that last paragraph, Eduardo, and your reply would be 100% perfect.) Witnesses are going to "witness" and that's all there is to it. But on a college campus? Not for long. As a young pioneer back in the early 70's and living in a college town, it was occasionally encouraged that we engage in campus witnessing; but the prospect of it made me very apprehensive. I never did it, not even once. As bad as I hated knocking on doors, I would much rather have done that than go up to a person of my own age who was showing some ambition and actually trying to accomplish something. At the time, I didn't know why I felt that way, but I do now: As Oroborus pointed out, I felt socially inferior and unprepared to exchange ideas with someone who was being taught to question everything. So I knocked on doors instead. And how I hated it!

Do you know what I think is the main motivation of setting up the booth and all? Is this PO's wife a pioneer, by any chance? Even if she's not, she's thinking: "Holy smokes, look at all this free time I can count!"

David

• outnfree
    outnfree

LOL @ David! Yes, this PO's wife is a pioneer -- a long-time pioneer, and, as my other ex-JW friend said, "Of course it was G---, she's the only one with enough guts to do it!" And yes, it's an easy (but cold!!!) way to count time.

Well, I've read your replies--for which I thank you all--and I've decided my course of action. I have made up an information sheet on Commonly Accepted Characteristics of Cults, and a mini sandwich-board to wear (oh! the irony!) that says, "I am a Watchtower Escapee. Ask me why Jehovah's Witnesses are a cult." The 14 characteristics are bolded and an explanation of how 13 out of 14 fit the Witnesses is offered point by point.

I shall be prepared should Sister Bold appear again on campus. I have not seen her again, but wouldn't be surprised if she made it a weekly thing, rather than daily.

I could just leave this alone as some have suggested, but this is how I feel and what I plan on telling my ex-"sister" (who, by the way, was one of my closer friends in the congregation): She has, of course, the right to her very sincere beliefs and to do what she believes is God's will in inviting others to survive into the New World. But I have very sincere proof that the Watchtower Society is knowingly deceitful and harmful to its adherents. She has come into MY "new world", the rebuilding of my life post-JWs, and I cannot with good conscience stand by and let others get sucked in by a religion that offers false compassion and conditional love to young people searching for a better relationship with God.

Jehovah's Witnesses are dangerous, to my mind. They are anti-woman, anti-child, and anti-family (one of the characteristics of a cult). I cannot remain silent when this reminder of my stupidity, my vulnerability, and my trauma is right there in front of me seeking yet another victim. If my fellow students can benefit from the wisdom of my experience, I feel that's a good thing.

Thanks again for the comments.

outnfree

• observador
    observador

Outnfree,
    what an interesting thread!

Meanwhile, I shall carry sidewalk chalk in my pocket so if/when she DOES return and I am present, I can write on the sidewalk in front of her (also permitted), "It's a cult, you know." with an arrow pointing to her display. And then, if it's sunny, make myself available with a posterboard alongside me declaring myself an escapee willing to explain why joining is NOT a good idea.

You have my smile of approval. You're exercising your right to free speech as much as she is.

with an arrow pointing to her display...

Don't forget to adjust the arrow accordingly if she moves her display.

Let us posted in case she returns.

Observador.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit