You know you're an apostate when... Or, My first Jack-o'-lantern!

by seattleniceguy 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I can't make my first one this year. Our weather's been so crappy that there aren't any pumpkins this year :(

• Scully
    Scully

There are some really cool sites with different pumpkin carving patterns. We downloaded one recently with a Spongebob Squarepants pattern... very cool!

Here's one I looked at last night: www.extremepumpkins.com - they actually recommend dry-erase markers for drawing your design on the pumpkin since it comes off very easily with a paper towel.

SNG: That was a great outcome for your very first attempt!!

Nos: If you can't get pumpkins, do they have other kinds of gourds or melons that you could use to substitute? Watermelons are supposed to make a really decent carved out lantern... why not give it a shot? You could also get some different hard shelled squash - acorn or butternut or even spaghetti squash would be great for carving and you'd probably get some really cool results.

Love, Scully

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

Very cool, Brian!

• Princess
    Princess

I carve about ten every year. We have lights that line the driveway so I carve them from the bottom and set them over the lights each evening. It looks really cool to have jack o'lanterns lining the drive.

I'll post pics when I carve them...I should get started. Ten pumpkins take a long time to carve!

• ConcernedMom
    ConcernedMom

Carving the pumpkins has become a tradition for my husband and daughter to do together. They don't throw the seeds away though...they clean them, salt them and roast them to eat like sunflower seeds.---Deb

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

SNG-

Halloween is evil.. you are doing the Devil's work..

• codeblue
    codeblue

Very interesting SNG!!!!!!!!!

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

LOL @ StinkyPantz....Very interesting, coming from a person whose avatar appears to be...a cat-o'-lantern!!!

SNG

• darkuncle29
    darkuncle29

Did you make pumkin seeds? They are so easy to do. I used to buy pumkins even as a JW and make the seeds, and then give the pumkin to a friends' donkey to eat.

I just made pumkin pie sunday night from a real pumkin, and made seeds too, but there were only a few as it was a small one. I have a large Jack-O'-Lantern type pumkin at my friends' place on Green Lake, I want to make seeds in a day or so. They have a nicer kitchen to work in than I do.

If you want to make seeds, just email or call me, you don't need a recipe.

• Piph
    Piph

Sure, I'll post pics when I make my jack o' lantern! But who knows when that will be; we have an old fashioned film camera and we scan 'em when they're developed...hehe

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit