Watchtower and E - Watchman

by Blueblades 19 Replies latest jw friends

• Valis
    Valis

Blueblades I know what your original topic was referring to, just wanted to make it clear that any removal was by specific request of the user and not any kind of being forced to by the morons in Brooklyn. As far as E-Watchman is concerned, they aren't worried with the nutcases that are just about worse off as they are. They are worried about the people like Amazing and others who have the kind of first hand knowledge of the org, combined w/their own writings that tend to hand them by their own petard.

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Corvin
    Corvin
    Amazing's posts were removed per his request as he was going to be testifying or at least involved in ongoing litigation. And ya Jourles' dirtclod.com got shut down because they were giving him probs about copywrite and also could have outed him, which would have caused family probs for him. Hope this clears some of the confusion.

Yes, Valis, this does clear up alot. I was doubtful the WTBTS could so much as shut down a gay orgie in a Bethel dorm room, let alone someone like Amazing. It was per Amazing's request and the prudent thing to do pending the outcome of the stated litigation. Copyright laws, I understand, and that would be the only solid footing the WTBTS would have for pressuring someone to shutdown. But there are also fair use laws that enable anyone to use or reproduce so-called copyrighted material for the purpose of commentary and/or sattire.

As far as E-watchman goes, he is a coward and a kook. He has very little credibility and those that give any creedence to his s anctimonious little essays are just as dillusional as the big E himself. He actually brags that the wtbts knows who he is. There is no way in hell that Bobby/You Know could be a JW still in good standing with the WTBTS knowing his identity, and I will refer you to Franz's writings and his own story of being df'd. I would refer you to anyone who ever questioned or dissagreed with the Society publicly. E-watchman is a liar and screwing with the heads of the other idiots who listen to him. He only says that his identity is known to the Society so that his embasil followers become awestruck at his power and influence, I mean, think of the implications of his asserting such a thing. "The WTBTS is afraid of me! See! They won't take action against me! They don't have the balls to disfellowship me, therefore, I must be right! Bow down to Butthead!"

Why have they not shut him down with legal threats? How is it that he is still able to post his tirade against the Governing Body and they have not done anything against him up to now? We know that they monitor this and other sites.

It's called "freedom of speech" and he gets to say whatever he wants as long as it is commentary and opinion. The Watchtower does it everyday. The Society can't do a single thing about it.

A. What Is Fair Use?

In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and "transformative" purpose such as to comment upon, criticize or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner. Another way of putting this is that fair use is a defense against infringement. If your use qualifies under the definition above, and as defined more specifically later in this chapter, then your use would not be considered an illegal infringement.

So what is a "transformative" use? If this definition seems ambiguous or vague, be aware that millions of dollars in legal fees have been spent attempting to define what qualifies as a fair use. There are no hard-and-fast rules, only general rules and varying court decisions. That's because the judges and lawmakers who created the fair use exception did not want to limit the definition of fair use. They wanted it--like free speech--to have an expansive meaning that could be open to interpretation.

Most fair use analysis falls into two categories: commentary and criticism; or parody.

1. Comment and Criticism

If you are commenting upon or critiquing a copyrighted work--for instance, writing a book review -- fair use principles allow you to reproduce some of the work to achieve your purposes. Some examples of commentary and criticism include:

• quoting a few lines from a Bob Dylan song in a music review
    • summarizing and quoting from a medical article on prostate cancer in a news report
    • copying a few paragraphs from a news article for use by a teacher or student in a lesson, or
    • copying a portion of a Sports Illustrated magazine article for use in a related court case.

The underlying rationale of this rule is that the public benefits from your review, which is enhanced by including some of the copyrighted material. Additional examples of commentary or criticism are provided in the examples of fair use cases in Section C.

2. Parody

A parody is a work that ridicules another, usually well-known work, by imitating it in a comic way. Judges understand that by its nature, parody demands some taking from the original work being parodied. Unlike other forms of fair use, a fairly extensive use of the original work is permitted in a parody in order to "conjure up" the original.

Hope this helps,

Corvin

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

I've done some searching trying to figure him out.

In the end, I just don't know what this guy is up to, and I can't figure out why he is being allowed to do as he pleases.

I DO know that he is very clever at hiding and obscuring his identity in a maze of computer domain names. I DO know that there is definitely more than just one e-watchman; he has a crew helping him out. His website is really slick, the art is original and great, and the near-perfect spelling and grammar all point to more than one hand at the wheel. Maybe the WT realizes this and is trying to pin down ALL of them for sure.

He is also big on claiming things - like a letter campaign to reveal the UN scandal. But I haven't heard one word about it from anybody. Of course, I AM diffed. Maybe the WT got wind of it and told the elders what to look for and to toss them out.

I don't like the guy. He is cynical, manipulative, and cruel; and he would be a worse shepherd than the WT ever was. Somebody should trash his site with a nice big virus...

CZAR

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks Valis, Corvin, and Czar.I now have a better understanding of this E - Watchman fellow. Thanks for clearing things up for me.

I sure miss Amazing's and Joural's past threads, I hope in the future we can have access to them again.

Blueblades

• minimus
    minimus

I was looking at his site this week. I don't know how much of a "kook" he is but he must be getting to some viewers. In the beginning, I thought he was supposed to be pro-JW.

• Carmel
    Carmel

The last I heard some of his faithful following was identifying him as the new "faithful and descreet slave". Sounds to me like an attempt to splinter, which works for me! The more fractured the witlesses are the more their r&f will wake up to the idea that they are not living in paradise at the local kingdumb hall.

carmel

• sf
    sf
    His name is Bobby. He is a kook, and yes he use to post here. He as 2,162 posts under the name: You Know

Hi Corvin,

Simply stating, EWatchman, is in fact, NOT Robert King, aka "YouKnow". I have proof. If, in fact, you can prove otherwise, I'd be very curious to see such.

I hope all is going well with your daughter these days.

Sincerely, sKally

• minimus
    minimus

I'll put my money on skally.

• Corvin
    Corvin

sf

Simply stating, EWatchman, is in fact, NOT Robert King, aka "YouKnow". I have proof. If, in fact, you can prove otherwise, I'd be very curious to see such.

Really? I'd be curious to see such proof myself. I am simply going by a response to one of posts here at JWD where somebody who knew, or at least thought they knew who he is let it slip out. Thanks.

Corivn

• catchthis
    catchthis

A quick Google search turned up this letter about dirtclod.com and why it was probably shut down:

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit