Is Imperfection the same as Sin?

by jgnat 52 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Schizm
    Schizm

under74,

My head's spinning a little and I think I need to lay down....

LMAO! Yes, the subject has been known to cause severe headaches.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Schizm, you are following the pattern I was seeing. Sin results in imperfection. Or, Sin ----->Imperfection. Is the opposite true as well;

Imperfection ---------> Sin?

Happy Guy, we may curse the toaster, but is it the toaster's fault? Or do we tend to anthropomorphize?

• Schizm
    Schizm

jgnat,

I AM SURE I have read in the watchtower materials that Adam's imperfection was connected to his sin. But of course this morning I can't find the key verse used to support this.

Yes, I think that's correct. I think the WT's impression is that Adam was physically affected by his sin, to the point of eventual death, and they explain that his physical defect has been passed on to us via the genes. I think that I've represented their view correctly, and if so I must say that I disagree with the WTS on this point.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Interesting point, Satanus. If there are "clean" and "unclean", can non-sentient creation be "sinful"? I wonder, rather, if all creation is declared "good", that the sin only happens when man breaks the law. In other words, the object is not "unclean", it is the taking a forbidden object that becomes "unclean".

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Does imperfection result in sin?

Please excuse me for a while. I'm in need of about a half-bottle of aspirin, and then I'll take my place down beside under74. Scoot over man!

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Happy Guy, we may curse the toaster, but is it the toaster's fault?

Thank you for your above question jgnat. I was under the impression that I had already given my thoughts on that when I said " "No" - after all it's inanimate ".

My little addition of "I often find myself cursing at inanimate objects" was my attempt at being facetious. I hope this clarifies my position.

• jgnat
    jgnat

1Co 15:20-22 ASV But now hath Christ been raised from the dead, the firstfruits of them that are asleep. For since by man came death, by man came also the resurrection of the dead. For as in Adam all die, so also in Christ shall all be made alive.

....still looking for that "imperfection" scripture.....

....still looking for that "imperfection" scripture.....

Well you won't find it from me (I have better things to do on a Sunday than look at scripture) and you gave the other two a headache so I don't think you can count on them either.

• outbutnotdown
    outbutnotdown

jgnat,

I'm with Happy Guy on this one. Your question is much like what a poster said already..... the "chicken or the egg" question........ Until the day that I die I will not know, for sure, the answer to that question, although millions of people will try to tell me their opinions on it. And those opinions will be no better than mine, by sticking with admitting, "I don't know."

The chicken and the egg are definitely there though, so I'm off to eat..... and thanks to this post I think I'll have both...

Brad

jgnat,

I'm with Happy Guy on this one. Your question is much like what a poster said already..... the "chicken or the egg" question........ Until the day that I die I will not know, for sure, the answer to that question,.....

I just wanted to point out that I think you have me confused with under74 who made the "chicken and the egg comment".

I am actually quite clear on this subject. I was taught by the JWs that Adam was created perfect and immortal and that when he sinned he then became imperfect and mortal (by the act of the sin itself). I disagree with this scenario as it defies rational thinking in so far as: If he was created "perfect" he would be incapable of making bad decisions (sin) even if he had the "free will" to do so. Now to clarify, there are many other things in the bible which I think defies rationality or common sense.

As far as the last question about imperfection leading to sin I never answered that one but I will now: My logical processes lead me to deduce that if one was already imperfect then the door is certainly open to making bad/wrong decisions or breaching moral laws (sins).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit