Awake on Obesity (Nvember 8th, 2004)

by GermanXJW 18 Replies latest jw friends

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

The recent magazines of November 1st/8th, 2004 target obesity. While Awake! contains a 12-page-series, The Watchtower contains a QfR on "How do Christians view overeating?" (I am translating from German). The QfR is almost the same as in The Watchtower of May 1st, 1986 it also refers to it.

There is a footnote in Awake! on p. 8 that is priceless (translating again):

Dedicated Christians whose life is devoted to the holy service for God have even more reason to lose weight and to stay healthy. By means of this, they can dedicate more years of productive service to God instead of dying an premature death. (Romans 12:1).
    Can somebody provide the English original, please? However, now they do not even speak about everlasting life any longer but about to live as long as possible to be most productive in His service - that is going from house to house and leave magazines - before death.
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Again, the magazines are an answer-all to life's problems.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

"Ahhhhhuhhhhuh.... Spiritual food...." -Witness Homer

• blondie
    blondie

I'll post it when I get home. Actually, I thought it was less negative than obesity articles in the past. Have you ever sat at a DC or CA or SD and looked at what a "large" group JWs are.

One sister said everything else is immoral or illegal. The only thing the enjoyment of food.

I did notice that they did not equate heavy = glutton. I have know some thin or average weight JWs who took more than their fair share at a dinner.

Blondie

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

ooh boy if they offend the "fat class" they'd lose a bunchOpeeps.. i hope its not negative. us plump ones are a lil TOUCHY!

i'm plump but don't over eat. i look like my mom, sisters, aunts, grandma, great grandma..

i wish i looked like claudia schiffer..but i dont lol

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

It was on the news now that more health insurers are paying for obesite control

procedures (health) seems like the statics show them that they will fork out

30% more money to treat obese people.... So as end result it will be cheaper to

fix an obese person.

Wish all people well, and if this is affecting your health, please take care. My wife and I have only 20-30lbs on "normal"

I know it's hard to stay thin. All people should just see what's healthy to them, and see how the weight affects

how they want to live.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Overheard Post Sunday Watchtower Study.....

"well that was a great meeting..... are we still on for the all you can eat Brunch at T.G.I. Transfats"

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

How dare slaves die early and cheat the society out of years of labour.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Candi : bunchOpeeps

I don't know why but the way it's written made me laught (I have to remember this one !!!)

• Quyrah
    Quyrah

You know, I haven't seen an Watchtower or an Awake in so long (5 yrs since I left) that I don't know if I'd recognize one. LOL

I'm so glad to be out that I do not even want to see one.

To go into obesity... what a crock. What are they going to do next. I think the jw's have covered every type of subject that is possible just to cover their butts. But then again, they will have everlasting life! Yeah! right! Give me a break. After 27 years as one, I still don't see the times any different.

Sorry, I can't help you in translating. Now I could if it was from French to English but German, sorry.

Now that I've been in the states for almost 5 years, I don't think I miss the French in Quebec any more. It feels good to speak English although there are a lot of Spanish around. Might one day decide to learn that language. Would be helpful once I'm finish University and go to graduate school.

Best to all

Q.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit