Any Old Time Radio Fans here?

by El Kabong 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Yup.....Lone Ranger and Tonto, Hopalong Cassidy, Zorro, Jack Benny, Inner Sanctum, Amos 'n Andy, The Thin Man, The Shadow, Superman....Fibber McGee & Molly, George Burns and Gracie Allen......

Loved 'em!!

Frannie

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman

I have bunches of old radio shows on cassette tape and CD; someday I have to get around to organizing them so I know what I have. The Shadow is probably my favorite, but I love lots of them. Somewhere among my boxes of vinyl LP's I have an old boxed set called "Jack Benny's Golden Memories of Radio" or something like that. It was great; a wonderful overview of old time radio. As I recall, it came out in the 1960's. Jack wove his own commentary around some of the best clips ever. If I ever saw it on CD, I'd snap up a copy in a heartbeat.

• Undecided
    Undecided
    Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny, Lux Theatre, The Shadow, Inner Sanctum

I listened to all these when I was a little boy. We had a radio that was as tall as me and had short wave. My brother and I would listen every night to different shows.

Ken P.

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

I remember my parents telling me about the good ol' radio days. Dad was a big fan of the Lone Ranger. I love watching the reruns of the show when I was a kid. Clayton Moore was awesome as the Lone Ranger. And Jay Silverheels as Tonto...remember when appeared on the Grand Canyon shows on the Brady Bunch? How cool was that!

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I've found a lot of these shows on the Binary Newsgroups on Usenet such as Alt.binaries.sounds.radio.oldtime.highspeed, where lot's of people post these programs in MP3 Format. Each file is around 6 Meg each. I've built up quite a collection over the past few months. As I posted above, these shows are considered public domain, so there are no copywrite issues to worry about. What impresses me is the amount of todays "pop culture" which originated from Old Time Radio. Also, the voices characters from many of the cartoons I enjoyed as a kid started on the radio. The guy who did the Droopy Dog voice started on Fibber McGee as Wallace Wimple, the mild mannered chap who had a big old wife named "Sweety Face". There is a bit character on The Great Gildersleeve who sounds exactly like Elmer Fudd. The actor who did that part is the same actor who provided the voice for Elmer Fudd in the Warner Brothers Cartoons. I just think this is a wonderful form of entertainment. I make CD's from the MP3's and listen to them in the car. Makes car trips and commuting go so much faster.

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    The guy who did the Droopy Dog voice started on Fibber McGee as Wallace Wimple, the mild mannered chap who had a big old wife named "Sweety Face". There is a bit character on The Great Gildersleeve who sounds exactly like Elmer Fudd. The actor who did that part is the same actor who provided the voice for Elmer Fudd in the Warner Brothers Cartoons.

And I believe that would be Wally Cox and Mel Blanc, respectively.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

I loved CBS Radio Mystery Theatre with Host E.G Marshall.

http://www.radiohof.org/adventuredrama/cbsradio.html

• El Kabong
    El Kabong
    And I believe that would be Wally Cox and Mel Blanc, respectively.

That's what I thought at first. But, actually, Droopy Dog's voice was originally done by a voice actor named Bill Thompson.

I was just as surpised to find that Mel Blanc didn't do the voice of Elmer Fudd. It was done by an actor named Arthur Q Bryan who did the Elmer Fudd voice for Warner Brothers until 1960 when Mel Blanc took over the Elmer Voice.

(Strange bit of trivia).

• NeonMadman
    NeonMadman
    (Strange bit of trivia).

And correct, according to a bit of web research...guess you really do learn something new every day. But Wallace Wimple sure sounded like Wally Cox to me...

• El Kabong
    El Kabong
    But Wallace Wimple sure sounded like Wally Cox to me...

"He He He...That's pretty good Johnny. But that ain't the way I heerd it!! The way I heerd it, one feller says to the other feller. SaaAaaAy he says....." I Love the Old Timer from Fibber McGee.

Actually, the characters of Wallace Wimple and the Old Timer as well as a couple of the other characters are from the same voice actor.

(I think I'm starting to scare myself. I know way too much about this stuff!!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit