Any Old Time Radio Fans here?

by El Kabong 20 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

I've recently started listening to Old time radio shows from the 1930's through the 1950's.

Shows like Fibber McGee and Molly, The Great Gildersleeve, Jack Benny, Lux Theatre, The Shadow, Inner Sanctum and tons more.

The best part is that a lot of these shows are available for download off the internet in MP3 format. And, they are public domain, so no need to worry about copyright issues.

Anybody else listen to Old Time Radio Shows?

Edited cause I hit the submit button by accident before I even finished typing the subject.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I used to have a bunch on reel to reel tapes that I picked up from a flea market. I taped over them.

• shotgun
    shotgun

Every once and awhile...with the lights off is best

The Shadow and The Green Hornet mostly

• franklin J
    franklin J

no; I have never listened to them. However I have heard of them.

Of more interest to me is that the radio waves are still transmitting out to space. So there may be a far larger audience for these transmissions than anyone ever realized.

Ever see the movie "Galaxy Quest?"

• hubert
    hubert

I remember a few that used to be on the radio, like "Lights out", and (If I remember correctly) Burns and Allen, Lone Ranger, twilight zone. It was fun, because you could visuallize your own scene.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu
    Ever see the movie "Galaxy Quest?"

I think I taped over that too.

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

There is nothing like the "theatre of the mind". It's amazing what you can visualize just by listening to these old radio shows. I find that while I am working, I can play these shows in the background and still get my work done. Just makes the day go so much faster. And, my eyes are not "glued" to the TV.

It's a shame that this form of entertainment is basically obsolete. There are some truly great episodes out there.

• blindfool
    blindfool

A few years ago I bought some old George Burns and Gracie Allen videos and radio tapes. They are so funny!! Another great thing is that they are clean humor. They showed you can be funny without using vulger language.

George to Gracie: "Say good night Gracie"

Gracie: "Good night Gracie"

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

They used to have a 'Mystery Theater' on the radio - in an attempt to revive the old style of radio shows... I believe it was in the '70s when they tried this.

Locally (San Antonio, TX), it was broadcast... in the evenings, usually... then it got moved to another time slot... then it disappeared from the local station (lack of interest, I suppose). I spanned the AM dial until I located it in Dallas (KRLD?), and continued to listen. The signal was subject to fading... which seemed to add to the show.

I also found it in nearby New Braunfels - and listened to it on that station. It was pretty cool.

As for listening to the radio - vs TV - I discovered this a long time ago. It seems that one is able to listen much easier than 'watch' while doing other things. Radio was more aligned with providing as much info as possible for the listener - through descriptive words - or sound effects.

A friend introduced me to listening to the radio - while watching a baseball game on TV (with the sound turned down). Try it sometime. You get much more out of the game that way.

Regards,

Jim TX (Hiyo Silver!!!)

• Englishman
    Englishman

This is an excellent site for instant nostalgia!

http://www.whirligig-tv.co.uk/radio/index.htm

Englishman.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit