I need the full page illustration of possible impalement

by Mulan 32 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Narkissos
    Narkissos
    One thing I do not understand is the JW use of the world "impale".

I'm curious too. Is this an old acceptation of the English word? In the French WT literature we used to translate "impaled" by something like "mis au poteau" ("put to the stake"), because "empalé" would necessarily mean pierced with the stake. But I never saw any English attestation of the WT use outside the WT publications. My Chambers Twentieth Century Dictionary states:

(...) to put to death by spitting on to a stake: to transfix: to combine palewise (her{aldry]). -- Also empale'. (...)
  • Leolaia
    Leolaia

They seem to be open to the possibility that Jesus was impaled through his body:

**w69, 10/15, pp. 639-640**

The Gospel writers state only that he was impaled or fastened to the stake. They do not say in their accounts of the impaling how this was accomplished, whether by Christ?s being transfixed with the stake forced through part of the body, by being tied to the pole or by being nailed to it.?Matt. 27:35; Mark 15:25; Luke 23:33; John 19:18.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I wonder if they thought about moving in that direction, Leolaia. If they had started to show images of Jesus symbollically raped, I think they would have been too obvious in their intent to push him to the wayside in their own mythology/theology.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    They seem to be open to the possibility that Jesus was impaled through his body:
    **w69, 10/15, pp. 639-640**

The Gospel writers state only that he was impaled or fastened to the stake. They do not say in their accounts of the impaling how this was accomplished, whether by Christ?s being transfixed with the stake forced through part of the body, by being tied to the pole or by being nailed to it.?Matt. 27:35; Mark 15:25; Luke 23:33; John 19:18.

They tend to completely forget John 20:-24-28. Admittedly John is the most problematic of the gospels, but you would think that old men with nothing to do but crank out JW books in 1969, would have known better.

• XQsThaiPoes
    XQsThaiPoes

The watchtower used to use the phrase "put to the stake". So impaled is a proper term. The problem is the watchtower is shy about its public image. I have heard talks speaking about Jesus possiblely and early christians being ran throught but not any explict commentary in printed material imply this. Infact I am sure most people even JWs don't promote about him dying on a pole as a JW belief. I have heard two JWs talk about Jesus dying on the cross during a comment. One sister laughted and said at the end "Oops I am sure the elders will be meeting me in the back room at the end of the study."

I am sure if they did not have all those pictures of christon a pole people would forget. even quicker. Just like how the wts waffles about Jesus being Michael the archangel. Sure it is possible for a JW to believe Jesus is not Michael, but the watchtower states you should believe he is if you know what is good for you.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

In context (WT 69 10/15, QFR):

Questions

from Readers

?

In view of Thomas? statement in John 20:25, was Jesus impaled with a nail through each hand??J. B., Taiwan (Republic of China).

After Jesus? resurrection he appeared to some of the disciples, but the apostle Thomas was not present. When told what had occurred, Thomas responded: "Unless I see in his hands the print of the nails and stick my finger into the print of the nails and stick my hand into his side, I will certainly not believe." (John 20:25) Since Thomas mentioned nails (plural), some have wondered whether a nail was hammered through each of Christ?s hands.

If we read just the Bible accounts of the actual impalement, we would know very little about how Jesus was impaled. The Gospel writers state only that he was impaled or fastened to the stake. They do not say in their accounts of the impaling how this was accomplished, whether by Christ?s being transfixed with the stake forced through part of the body, by being tied to the pole or by being nailed to it.?Matt. 27:35; Mark 15:25; Luke 23:33; John 19:18.

However, following Jesus? resurrection, Thomas? comment in John 20:25 indicates clearly that Jesus? hands were nailed to the stake. But in what way? We do not know. The Bible does not say whether his hands were nailed one on top of the other with a single nail through them both, or side by side with a separate nail through each. If the latter was the case, Thomas? remark could be understood as applying only to Jesus? hands.

There is, though, another possibility that cannot be ruled out. Many scholars believe that a nail or nails pierced Jesus? feet, fixing them to the post directly or to a small platform attached to the stake. Jesus himself may have referred to wounds in his hands and his feet on another occasion when he appeared to the disciples. So as to convince them that he really was the resurrected Jesus, he said: "See my hands and my feet, that it is I myself." (Luke 24:39) Thomas did not specifically mention Jesus? feet. But his comment about "the print of the nails" may have included Christ?s hands and feet, though only the hands were named. (LOL)

Often in the Watch Tower Society?s publications Jesus has been illustrated as being impaled with a single nail through his two hands and another nail piercing his two feet. This is only an artist?s conception, but it is quite possible that this is how Jesus was impaled.

While such technical matters are of some interest, the major thing to keep in mind about Jesus? death is what it accomplished. (But the stake vs. cross is not a minor technical matter!) One point is that it ended the obligation to keep the Mosaic law, for God took "it out of the way by nailing it to the torture stake." (Col. 2:14) By his integrity to God even during the agony and death on the stake, Jesus proved that out of love humans can serve Jehovah faithfully no matter what temptations and pressures Satan brings. And Jesus? death on the stake provided the ransom, the price to release believing mankind from bondage to sin and death.?1 Tim. 2:5, 6; 2 Cor. 5:14, 15.

(Bold are mine, and my comments in red: first time in many years I highlight a WT article!)

• Pole
    Pole

Jesus died on a

Pole

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

If he was impaled, then would not a bone from his body be broken from this?

No bone of his should have been broken according to prophecy and tale

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha
    If he was impaled, then would not a bone from his body be broken from this?

No bone of his should have been broken according to prophecy and tale

Not necessarilly. In fact it would seem more likely that if he were nailed through the feet, wrists, or palms that there would be a far greater chance of some fracture. The Fillipinos who reenact crucifixtion are very careful in this regard, because of the risk of doing just that, so it must have happened commonly. The Fillipinos also use smaller diameter nails made out of surgical steel, not the much wider crudely forged iron nails the Romans would have used. (They also don't hang the hands higher then the head, and give the feet support, as they are there to do,, well whatever they are doing (?!), certainly not dying of slow asphyxiation)

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

Wow, a person really gets nailed?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit