Something From Nothing?? Why Not??

by frankiespeakin 14 Replies latest jw friends

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    If you enjoy your thought processes of other worlds, go for it, but you will still be sitting in your spot when you are back to reality.

Hi Ken, I appreciate your point here. But the whole point of this thread is that it's not 'other' worlds, it's a matter of going deeper in an understanding of this one, the only one.

I was just thinking about this yesterday actually, how there is this tendancy, trend of trascending out of next Tuesday in spirituality. From a non-dual perspective there is no separation, it's not that you go away to some other place, but rather it's just a matter of looking beyond appearances. I guess it's just a matter of going to extremes in a way, since we are so used to this subjective view, we tend to disregard it in an effort toward a deeper understanding.

If nothing else we certainly still have this experience of being a human being in a world with other people, although that is not quite the same as thinking you are your experience. Incidentally this is how people can be overwhelmed by things like depression, because it seems so consuming whereas it is actually only a state you are in, even if it is a challenging one. But to use an everyday example, we may be good (or bad) at our job, but that is just a role (the thingness) we play - it's not who we are. This doesn't mean we don't do our best and the excellence doesn't show in our work, but we go home (no-thingness) at the end of the day.

So that is like spirituality in that a lot of what we consider very spiritual people we also consider great human beings, they may not necessarily identify with that, but it's not like being separate in some far off realm. Being engaged in life with people means you are free to be, free as a human being as well as being free from or of it. Of course this doesn't mean you are indulging in behavior that is simply acquired conditioning, thinking that means freedom, but the humanity shines through simply because you are not afraid of being human.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

NewSense,

One of these days I will read Kant and Hume right now everything I know about them is second hand. I might do a search on Soren Kierkegaard.

Mark,

I'm begining to think that "nothing" is non definable and a metaphor full of contradictions depending on your interpretation. For instance our universe seems to be "nothing" split in half = (matter and antimatter).

some are so absorbed with the inquiry that they are not really concerned about a few jokes here and there. For that matter the mind is not so divided due to an insecure egoic structure that needs to be reassured, but inquiry into truth is the primary interest there.

That sums it up nicely. I realize some have world views, that clash with what this thread is about and I expect to get comments that differ that's fine if they offer something substancial that I can wrap my mind around so much the better.

More general on the subject of this thread:

Of course I don't expect to comprehend "true reality" with my mind because I think "true reality" is not describable in metaphors produced by a mind confined inside "time". Intuitively I feel "true reality" is outside of time and space. In spacetime everything is changing nothing is permanant, and quantum physics has shown us great uncertainty on a subatomic level.

With reguards to the time dimension,, I see it as an illusion because the "present" seems to be shifting on to the furture and moving away from the past and so I ask how long does the present last before it moves towards the future? Could it be 10 to the -43 of a second (just a guess). Time seems to be a "vibrating present" moving in the direction of, - away from the past towards the future. I think Quantum physics raises these questions.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Hi Mark,

I've sat in my backyard swing and thought about life and the universe so much lately that I have come to the realization we just don't know anything much about it. I like to think about it, but it doesn't do much for me as far as reaching any conclusion other than we are just stuck here for a few years and after that it is all a mystery. I will just have to wait and see if anything exist after this life or if we will ever know.

My friend who lives next door in my rent house has had an out of body death experience but doesn't know what to make of it. My oldest friend from my youth has see a UFO but doesn't know what to think of that either. I guess we are just stuck in our own little world until something enlightens us.

Ken P.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Ken, not only is life beyond human existence a mystery, it's really also a mystery just from day to day. Someone once said life is a mystery to be lived and not a problem to be solved, and that gives it an entirely different perspective. Even if we go to some other realm after we die, why jump the gun and rush it? If nothing else isn't this human existence all the more precious then, because we are only here for a little while? I think if we live this way every day, moment to moment, then our quality of life will improve. Just to experience life deeply instead of going into a little corner of the mind that theorize about it, this is really living. There are those of us who like to think about such things a lot, and I say great - but you can also live the mystery while you think about it.

• Brokeback Watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit