Something From Nothing?? Why Not??

by frankiespeakin 14 Replies latest jw friends

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

A while ago I started a thread about ?should nothing exist??
    The reason I started that thread was because I was thinking about what we call ?laws? that ?govern? the universe (?laws and govern? for lack of a better word). I was thinking why does anything ?have? to be? Is there a logical way of thinking that could answer the question about existence. Or is it beyond comprehension?

I think if we take Einstein?s words to heart about ?time? and there being no such thing as past present and future we can appreciate that adding this dimension of time to space we get ?events? instead of just being. Now are these events even real if past present and future are just an illusion like Einstein said? Are we all just an illusion inside of ?time??
    Or is everything connected and there is only ?One? that is unmoving and unchanged?
    I?m of the opinion that everything in our space time universe is a very clever manipulation of ?nothing? I mean matter and anti-matter were suppose to be created in exactly equal proportions that if they ever came together they would annihilate each other and become ?nothing?. Could all this be a dream or like a dream? Or maybe we are something from nothing?

• ballistic
    ballistic

It's me. I control everything, and I'm about to hit "control alt delete". Are you ready?

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Bring it on !

• Happy Guy :)
    Happy Guy :)

Ha, I knew you didn't have the guts to Ballistic

• Satanus
    Satanus

Ballistic just blipped himself back to nothing. Such a perfectly balanced guy

S

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali

Isn't there a song, or atleast a commercial jingle that says something like nothing from nothing means nothing?

Although the plain idea of nothing like an empty box may explain my laziness, in terms of the spiritual idea of no-thing and emptiness it's not quite like that. To be consistent with the laziness, I will just say we are nothing as something. No-thing is the amorphous 'stuff' which all the somethings are kinda 'made from.' So the question is what is that stuff? Don't look for an answer though, work on the question or let it work on you, just check it out. Any answer would just be an idea anyway.

• NewSense
    NewSense

Frankie: If I believed in metempsychosis (reincarnation), I would say that you may well be the reincarnate spirit of the Danish philosopher, Soren Kierkegaard. Kierkegaard dealt with the same basic question that you pose - why there should be something when it would have been much easier for nothing to exist. So, if you get a chance, try to read some of Kierkegaard's writings. And while you're reading Kierkegaard, you should also consult Kant and Hume, who together turned metaphysics and epistemology upside down. Although Kant and Hume both lived in earlier centuries, they were the anticipatory precursors of the so-called "postmodernist" worldview which informs us that, rather than knowing the stable essence of any given phenomenon, we merely begin to tell the story of the event of judging it. In the postmodern viewpoint, the event of knowing is preferrable to the fact of knowledge.

By the way, don't let the morons and intellectual midgets on this board get you down. While they may call themselves "ex-Jehovah's Witnesses," they were really never able to escape the "dub" mindset and mentality. They mock and poke fun of ideas that they are incapable of fitting into their parochial and pathetically narrow worldview. They scoff at any ideas that they cannot get their tiny little minds around. In short, they are still window-washer and tolet cleaners who wallow in their own ignorance. Of course, not all ex-dubs are like this. Which is a good reason for not letting yourself be hurt or dismayed by the cruelty and petty mindset of some on this board. On this board, you will find that there are people who do enjoy grappling with new ideas and thoughts. Like you, they are capable of thinking "outside of the box." They are not intimidated by speculative thinking. In other words, they enjoy thinking for the sake of thinking. They have the self-confidence to at least respond respectfully when another person offers an alternative viewpoint. So, in the words of Winston Chuchill, just keep "buggering on." And don't let the s.o.b.'s get you down.

• Undecided
    Undecided

Really what difference does it make, we can only live with our present bodies and surrondings. We have been strapped with our short life on earth and no one knows any different, at least they can't prove it. If you enjoy your thought processes of other worlds, go for it, but you will still be sitting in your spot when you are back to reality.

Ken P.

• Markfromcali
    Markfromcali
    don't let the s.o.b.'s get you down.

Having been acquainted with Frankie personally, I must say your concern is unnecessary. Intellectual exercise for it's own sake is fine, but frankly some are so absorbed with the inquiry that they are not really concerned about a few jokes here and there. For that matter the mind is not so divided due to an insecure egoic structure that needs to be reassured, but inquiry into truth is the primary interest there. To put it another way, you just don't take yourself that seriously. Even if someone is trying to put you down, you're not so concerned with how you look, being a somebody. THAT is about as far as you can get from JWism or any -ism, it's simply a non-issue.

• lawrence
    lawrence

NewSense-

After you propel past postmodernism, will you still be taking bowel movements? Many of the "window washers and janitors" on this board have more sense than Kant and dear beloved Soren. As for you and your thesis, I defer to the words, "it's better to do NOTHING, than to waste time." Throw in some William James next time, please.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit