What are the long term effects of having your life turn out to be a lie?

by sleepy 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Quotes
    Quotes

=======================================
    but I still have a fear of ouiji boards.
    =======================================

Nos, you are kidding, right?

My suggestion: try to visit a ouiji board factory; or at least any other game board factory.

You will quikly realize that it is just a combination of pressed-wood-pulp and injection molded plastic.

(Assuming, of course, that they don't show you the "demon injection" part of the tour... that's the area where the conveyor belt dissappears into the floor and travels down to hell and back... muwahahahahahahahhahha!!!!!)

~Quotes, of the "still waiting to see proof of anything paranormal, anywhere" class

• onintwo
    onintwo

How it affected me was this:

I have a re-newed and energized zeal to sample life to it's fullest! The gates of "NO's" have swung open for me and I'm already beyond them. My advice to you or anyone with these feelings is to explore life! Yes, this is probably it....., although no one knows for sure. Come to grips with your own mortality and EMBRACE it! Learn all you can about yourself. Bury yourself in many pursuits... both for your own sanity, and also in helping someone else....in any way that you can. Helping others is a very, very good thing.

Knowing that two of my three kids have been salvaged and should go on to lead productive lives is a great feeling also.

For what it's worth.

Onintwo

• candidlynuts
    candidlynuts

i know i could be a hero and save 1000 peoples lives carrying them each out on my back...

i could get rich and pay for 1000 peoples life saving medical procedures.....

i could marry, and live happily with a worldly man for the next 50 yrs ....

and still they'd shake their heads... " shame shes gonna die in armageddon.. i always knew she didnt love Jehovah"

• jgnat
    jgnat

I figure the long term effects are really up to you. Other people have to recover from abusive backgrounds, alcoholic parents, cancer, the holocaust, death of a child, etc. etc. It is a symptom of life on this planet that we all go through some pretty rough stuff. Some chose not to recover. They find various ways to avoid having an engaging life. The horrible past experience provides a handy excuse to do nothing to improve their lot.

Others learn to rise above it, though the scars from the traumatic encounter may mark them for life. Wear the war wound with pride, like a war vet with a limp. It is proof that you are a survivor.

By the way, Scully, I love your list! I figure it is a keeper.

• under74
    under74

I think you can move on but it's always going to be there. My family left when I was 15 and for a long time (up until recently as a matter a fact) I thought I was able to just walk away. But I've realized that the way I was raised did impact me...some of my closest friends don't know I was a Jehovah's Witness. Maybe I avoid talking about it with people because I'll get emotional about it or I avoid it because the conversation always starts the same way, "you're probably not really going to understand this but I was raised a Jehovah's Witness....." Some times I can't even speak to my mother about it because she chose it and I didn't. I think there's a difference there. I didn't have any choice in the matter and I didn't know anything different until we left.

• under74
    under74

bump ttt

• Corvin
    Corvin

I too am skeptical, of religion in general . . . even the Bible somewhat. The only thing that keeps hope alive for a relationship with God is knowing that he must exist. People pop in and out of my life lately who say something that calms my mind and brings clarity and peace. It's nice. Replacing the old beliefs with new and empowering ones is a challenge.

All I know is that I can finally breathe for the first time in my life. The JW religion is truly one of the most profoundly hateful and loveless religions that ever existed in modern times. Then I take a look at myself and I become ashamed for how it twisted me. Thankfully, I have had 14 years to educate myself and undo some of the harm it did to me personally. I am grateful that I had a miraculous woman in my life for the last eight years who, without even words, taught me to love and let go of the hate and anger.

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit