Pasted from a jw board!

by claudia 28 Replies latest jw friends

• claudia
    claudia

Oh im going to puke, I did a copy and paste from aisnes db, all real jws. the part where she says the awake and wt mags surpass a college education really sent me over the edge!

"I have 5 children. Sorry to say none of them were able to finish high school because of our very difficult circumstances.
    I am happy to say they are all successful in their lives. One daughter is undergoing a very hard time at the moment, but I have no doubt that she will overcome it and bloom again.

Their Father on the other hand Graduated from High school as did I. He is a total loser in life.

It has been my choice to teach my children the value of being educated in many different avenues. For example just reading the Watchtower and Awake can give any one a college education that far surpasses any education they may or may not get in the world of schooling. I have nothing against extra schooling to benefit your livelyhood. But sometimes it is just a stepping stone to growing up.

Just my opinion folks.

It always helps to put forth a positive side in whatever you choose."

------------------

• TR
    TR

Claudia,

Thanks for making ME yak.

TR

"I have sworn upon the altar of God, eternal hostility against every
    form of tyranny over the mind of man." --Thomas Jefferson*

• VM44
    VM44

Thanks for sharing this interesting post.

Many witnesses say that reading the Awake gives one the equivalent
    of a college education.

This is just plain wrong. I'd like to ask each and every one of them upon
    what are they basing their statement?

What articles has the Awake or Watchtower published concerning algebra,
    trigonometry, calculus or vector analysis? What about physics? Mechanics?
    Electromagnetism? These are just a few examples of what does NOT appear
    in their magazines.

What about writing courses? Reading the Awake will train one in writing essays?
    What about critical thinking? Or would that be too close to "independent thinking"?

People make tremendously stupid statements based upon nothing.
    Maybe this is what the Awake and Watchtower really teaches them to do!

--VM44

• fodeja
    fodeja

<i>Many witnesses say that reading the Awake gives one the equivalent of a college education.</i>

Sure, just like I'll get my Masters from glancing through a couple of old Reader's Digest copies in my doctor's waiting room.

This attitude simply reflects the fact that the concept of "studying" has been re-defined and narrowed down to "memorizing rather simple, one-dimensional stuff without a hint of critical analysis" in the JW world. It's that desparate programme of forcefully simplifying a world that seems just way too complicated to grasp. That's why so many JWs seem to believe they "know how the world works". Yes, their model of the world: good vs. evil, black vs. white, God vs. Satan. Hey, the world is so simple, why even finish high school? What could we possibly learn from such an "advanced education"?!

Poor kids.

f.

• VM44
    VM44

Claudia,

Where is this discussion board where you got that post?

--VM44

• Roamingfeline
    Roamingfeline

I remember about 8 years ago, the "good ole boy" elder in our Congregation, (you know, the one who got his college education before he came into the Borg and now has a good paying job) stood on the platform and spouted this same crap.

Now, you must remember that the majority of the rank and file never finished high school, thanks to the WTBTS and their propaganda machine. They would have absolutely no idea what was involved in higher education. So it would be really easy to convince them how much education they were getting when all they are allowed to read is the WackyTower and the Afake mags. They would think of themselves as highly educated. Especially with that smelder patting them on the head telling them so! Poor dumb sheep didn't know any better. Don't blame them, blame their oppressors, the WTBTS.

RCat

• AngelofMuZiC
    AngelofMuZiC

I've got to play devil's advocate on this one. Though I believe that the WTS is wrong in their teachings, and is most definately a cult, I would not have the vocabulary that I have today, if not for the publications and "theocratic ministry school". I definately don't think them to be better than a college education, but I do believe that they have helped me with my reading and speaking skills. My mother has a learning disability, and could not teach me much other than the alphabet and the small words she knew how to say or spell. But, she always had me read her the mags, and some parts of books. The vocabulary they use exceeds the level required by most high schools even, so because of that, I always managed to dazzle my teachers and classmates because of my ability to read and speak well, which I must attribute to the books and mags.
    My Regards,
    Joanne

• Kent
    Kent
    For example just reading the Watchtower and Awake can give any one a college education that far surpasses any education they may or may not get in the world of schooling.

Well, the writer did have a college education - and since I believe in people, that statement explains a lot to me. Now I don't need to wonder why people like teejay and many others on this board behave the way they do....LOL

Yakki Da

Kent

"The only difference between God and Adolf Hitler is that God is more proficient at genocide."

Daily News On The Watchtower and the Jehovah's Witnesses:
    http://watchtower.observer.org

• thinkers wife
    thinkers wife

Claudia,
    Interestingly enough, my father used to use that scripture in the New Testament that says something like "and God will finish your training". It is in 1Peter 5:10. He used it to show how being in the org. was the best way of life.
    Somehow, I don't think having my own cleaning business reflects where I could have been in life by now with more education!
    TW

• 68storm
    68storm

Angelofmusic,

I think that you are getting a little confused here. No offense please. I don't want to question whether you excelled in verbal communication, or your reading and writing skills, but I read somewhere that the publications are written at about an 8th grade level. They also have cheat sheets at the bottom of the page, so the thinking is already done for you. I am sure that the ministry school has some merits, but the mags are not of much value, except in destroying trees and very good for the bottom of my bird cage.

Respectfully submitted,

68storm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit