Trespassing, new rules

by DaCheech 25 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

As the temporary Book study overseer I have been handed a letter as follows:

Upon receipt of this letter, book study overseers should review the following points with those in their groups:

* Individual homeowners have a right to exclude people from their property by posting a "No Trespassing" sign.

* If publishers call on a home or enter the grounds around a home where a "No Trespassing" sign is located, they may be subject to criminal prosecution and resulting monetary sanctions and/or incarceration. They also face being sued by the householder.

* Such homes may be worked by means of the telephone or letter writing. See May 2003 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box: "Communicating Through Letters," Benefit From Theocratic Ministry School Education, Pages 71-3; May 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box; "Successful Kingdom Proclaimers Use the Telephone," April 15, 1998 Watchtower, BOx on page 27; "Telephone Witnessing - A Way to Reach Many," August 1993 Our Kingdom Ministry pages 3-4;and November 1996 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box.

* "No Trespassing" signs are diffrent from "No Soliciting," "No Peddling," and "No Canvassing" Signs. However, if a householder at any time informs a publisher that this sign applies to our ministry (no matter what the wording of that sign may be), the publisher should reassure the householder that future calls at his home will cease. This can be done by simply stating:

The application of the sign was not clear to us from its wording. Steps will now be taken to make certain that no further calls are made at your home by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Thereafter, a dated note should be placed in the territory envelope listing the name and address of such individuals.

We trust this will answer questions publishers have regarding "No Trespassing" Signs. It is a pleasure to work shoulder to shoulder with you in accomplishing the work our Master has entrusted to us. - Zeph. 3:9; Matt 28:19,20

Your Brothers, Christian Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses

• blondie
    blondie

I checked with a brother in this area and he said that a letter has not been read yet...if it is later, he will wonder how I knew.

Blondie

• acsot
    acsot

Thanks for that info, DaCheech. I wonder how many people would put up "No Trespassing" signs on their properties if they knew that's all it takes now to get rid of JWs? Maybe we should "Advertise, Advertise, Advertise" this !

• shotgun
    shotgun

I can't figure out why Jehovah didn't post a no-trespassing sign to keep Adam and Eve out of Eden?

I suppose a flaming sword is pretty cool!

This part was the most interesting to me

* "No Trespassing" signs are diffrent from "No Soliciting," "No Peddling," and "No Canvassing" Signs. However, if a householder at any time informs a publisher that this sign applies to our ministry (no matter what the wording of that sign may be), the publisher should reassure the householder that future calls at his home will cease.

I've been at the door with old style stick your foot in the door publishers who got into verbal arguments because the householder called us peddelers of the word!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

This was given at the Teocratic School night, and we are to read next book study and cosider it also so publishers understand the "ins and outs"

• blondie
    blondie

This is a change in the WTS tactics in the past to fight legal situations. I can remember when preaching on Sunday in the 30's and 40's was challenged and the flag salute issue. I was told by a brother at Bethel that if these cases were fought today, the WTS would lose. The WTS has not been winning so much lately with France, Russia, DUMBO, Korea, Germany. The handwriting is on the wall. They can't afford piddly trespassing cases. Older JWs were taught to be confrontational, insisting on their rights.

Blondie

• Scully
    Scully

DaCheech:

Would it be possible to get a scan of this letter and post it here?

It's very interesting that by this letter, the WTS is informing Publishers? that they are going to be left high and dry by the WTS's Legal Department if individual JWs make the choice to ignore a "No Trespassing" sign.

* If publishers call on a home or enter the grounds around a home where a "No Trespassing" sign is located, they may be subject to criminal prosecution and resulting monetary sanctions and/or incarceration. They also face being sued by the householder.

Also, notice how the WTS is expecting Publishers? to further endear themselves to homeowners by contacting them by telephone and by letter:

Upon receipt of this letter, book study overseers should review the following points with those in their groups:

* Individual homeowners have a right to exclude people from their property by posting a "No Trespassing" sign.

* Such homes may be worked by means of the telephone or letter writing. See May 2003 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box: "Communicating Through Letters," Benefit From Theocratic Ministry School Education, Pages 71-3; May 2002 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box; "Successful Kingdom Proclaimers Use the Telephone," April 15, 1998 Watchtower, BOx on page 27; "Telephone Witnessing - A Way to Reach Many," August 1993 Our Kingdom Ministry pages 3-4;and November 1996 Our Kingdom Ministry Question Box.

* "No Trespassing" signs are diffrent from "No Soliciting," "No Peddling," and "No Canvassing" Signs. However, if a householder at any time informs a publisher that this sign applies to our ministry (no matter what the wording of that sign may be), the publisher should reassure the householder that future calls at his home will cease. This can be done by simply stating:

The application of the sign was not clear to us from its wording. Steps will now be taken to make certain that no further calls are made at your home by Jehovah's Witnesses.

Thereafter, a dated note should be placed in the territory envelope listing the name and address of such individuals.

We trust this will answer questions publishers have regarding "No Trespassing" Signs. It is a pleasure to work shoulder to shoulder with you in accomplishing the work our Master has entrusted to us. - Zeph. 3:9; Matt 28:19,20

Your Brothers, Christian Congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses

Love, Scully
  • Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

So much for standing firm for the troof! I thought the troof sets you free? Does this not apply to lawsuits?

Such homes may be worked by means of the telephone or letter writing

I love this. If you can't piss off the householder in person, piss him off with a letter or phone call. The WTS obeys as much law as it needs to.

• observador
    observador

DaCheech, thanks for the info. It would be nice if you could post a scan!!! Thanks a lot. Observador.

• Mulan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit