The Fear of "Leaving The Truth"

by minimus 17 Replies latest jw friends

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I'm not afraid of the elders, just of being abandoned by family!

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    They ACTUALLY are starting to enjoy "normal" aka "worldly" life!! -------Folks, all I can say is,"Once you get out of the "mind control" you will realize how many years that you have wasted.

I guess people in Noah's time did the same.... or so it says.............

Thus, makes you think that you are sinning if you do the same! Once you let go of the grip, you don't care anymore.

Like I said "I don't care/afraid of the elders".!

Da

• M.J.
    M.J.
    But by then I had lost all fear of the WTS because of Dak's death.

Balsam, thanks for your wonderful post. But I would like to understand this statement more, if you feel at liberty to share. Conceptually, I could see how such a sacrifice and loss on your part "for the cause" could have the opposite effect.

• FairMind
    FairMind

I suppose how you feel about the time you have spent as a JW depends on where you were in your life when you became one. Those who had their heads on streight to begin with probably have been effected in a negative way. Someone like myself who was on the road to self-destruction might view it differently. All coins have two sides.

FM

• willyloman
    willyloman
    Its hard leaving the Jehovah Witnesses, but it is absolutely true we are so much happier without that pressure and fear. To find out that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is not being inspired by Jehovah to interpet his scriptures was the scissors that cuts us free.

Beautiful! The perfect expression.

I second the motion that reading Ray Franz Crisis of Conscience is the single biggest eye opener that dispels the guilt some of us feel upon leaving.

• Gordy
    Gordy

True those of us who were JW?s cannot say what our life may have been like if we didn?t become JW?s. Would I have been a better or worse person than I am now?

Would I have got married? Would I have had the seven children I now have?

But I DID become a JW and have to look at it from that perspective.

To look back and say NOTHING had been wasted is in my mind wrong.

I can look back and see wasted opportunities, to have a better job, better home, better relationship with my wife and children. These opportunities were passed over because I put my life as a JW first.

When a time came when I needed the help and support of ?Jehovah?s loving organisation?

They fell over themselves trying to get me out of sight as quickly as possible. Made to separate from my wife and family and live alone, move to another congregation. Being the ?good JW? I was I thought it would help and I would eventually return to the them. This was after 25 years of loyal service, and four of my children baptised JW?s.

It was not until I learnt the truth about the Watchtower and could no longer continue with them, that I realised I had wasted by now 30 years of my life serving a lie.

The situation now is that I have three of my children live with me two who were JW?s have DA?d. Neither they or I have had contact with my wife and their mother for three years now.

The past does not die. The past is what has shaped us what we are now and we carry it with us always.

All we can do is try and ignore it, but its there haunting our sub-conscious. We only have to have or see something remind us of those times and it springs to the front.

The very fact that many ex-JW?s write on forums like this is evidence that it is still there.

• minimus
    minimus

Today, I spoke to a friend that has most of his family "in" as JWs. He studied for years but said he couldn't be a hypocrite. He said most of his family members get drunk and do not conform to the Scriptures yet THEY feel they're wonderful JWs. They have no fear of leaving the "truth". They have been considered by others as never being good examples "in the truth", anyways.

• bem
    bem
    One has absolutely no idea what would have transpired if one had never been a JW - things could actually have been a lot worse. We just don't know!

Dansk a friend and I spoke very nearly these same words in chat not long ago, I mourn my time 'spent' while in the wts I'm thankful/glad to be out now and with my children free from the wts and a grand-daughter that will not be raised in the restaints.

Its hard leaving the Jehovah Witnesses, but it is absolutely true we are so much happier without that pressure and fear. To find out that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is not being inspired by Jehovah to interpet his scriptures was the scissors that cuts us freeIts hard leaving the Jehovah Witnesses, but it is absolutely true we are so much happier without that pressure and fear. To find out that the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society is not being inspired by Jehovah to interpet his scriptures was the scissors that cuts us free

(((((Balsam))))) I had to have tears for you, I am in the process of divorcing my childrens father. They are grown and he fears not having them in his life now. Alas that is my fault! after all I'm the one who left the miserable marriage But he never thought of that when he mis-treated us while in the wts.

I still hesitate ie. the fear of leaving the wts still has a grip on me. But the uselessness of spending time in a religion that has as many 'ugly' things to hide as any other 'religion keeps me OUT and something like sane! The fear I can work on.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit