Wow, the forum is very slow

by FlyingHighNow 35 Replies latest jw friends

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

I have just realised that clicking on the avatar of the most recent poster(s) takes you directly to that post.  This is obviously quicker than what I was doing.  This is a good example of perhaps where it's not knowing what one does not know!

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i use google chrome--and it keeps me logged in all the time----unless i run CC cleaner--then i log in again--but dont have to go through the captchya routine.

i particularly like being able to simply copy and paste images--its soo easy.

• happy@last
    happy@last
    My PCs, phone and tablet all keep me logged in which is great for me! Speed doesn't seem to be an issue either for me. I've noticed my post count has gone down too, and to answer Black Sheep, I think Simon had simply asked if the flag was a good idea, many said no.
  • Magnum
    Magnum

I travel a lot for work and I have a laptop provided by my company. I used to check this site and post a lot during my work travels. The problem is that I can't get this site to work on my laptop using Internet Explorer, and my company won't let me install another browser. Therefore, I haven't been as active; I can only access this site when I'm at home (and that's not much) and can use my home computer with Chrome.

• Simon
    Simon
    I used to really like the forum but I hate the new format.The option to bring up all the active threads was great.

That is still there - look at the very top navigation for "Active". On any view of topics (either the whole site, a single subject area or an individual poster) you can sort topics by the date they were started OR updated (which is what Active does and also the number of replies.

Logging is is a nightmare as well as the capcha entries need to be constantly refreshed before one is legible - a few times I've just given up in frustration

That is just captcha, it's the same system so the images are no worse than before. The benefit of the new one is that many times the system can determine that you are not a bot without you having to enter a captcha so it becomes a simple checkbox. Unfortunately, it's necessary to protect the system from automated logon attempts. I am working on adding social-signin which should make it easier for people to sign-in (it will use the signin from Google, Facebook, Twitter etc...) 

My main issue is that with the old forum you could very easily see the latest comments on a thread and decide if you wanted to delve into it.  When you did you went to the latest posts. 

The reply avatars now show the last 3 posters which is intended to make it easier to see who posted recently and clicking any of those takes you to that point in the topic as before.

All the functionality of the old site is available on the new site plus more options as well. If something seems difficult or missing then it may be unclear - just ask and we'll point you in the right direction for making the most out of it.

• James Brown
    James Brown

I have to really be determined to get on,

But so far as long as I am willing to persist, I get on.

There seems to be progress being made.

Originally the site would not respond to long running scripts,

That doesn't seem to be the case recently,

I just get a notice that the site is not responding, then I click on the bubble and it restarts the program.

I never had these problems on the old site.

I think its a problem of working out the bugs with the new technology.

It reminds me a lot of the problems of surfing off of Facebook advertisements, the long running scripts and pages not responding. 

I spend 4 or 5 hours a day on the computer and this site is the most difficult to get on.

But once I decide to persist and get on it seems to be alright.

I don't know how many people have the internet experience and patience that I have,

If the volume of members is low they might just be going to places that are easier to get to.

Water and most people take the course of lease resistance. 

• steve2
    steve2

Simon - you're a gentleman and I appreciate your patience! Thanks for your reply to my puzzlement.

Oh and Cofty: Thanks too - now all sorted. I'm back on track and smiling widely just like the "happy" dancing Bethelites! :)

• violias
    violias
    I am perhaps not tech savy enough to understand what problems some are talking about. I know how to use the Active feature and l the posters avatars are shown that have posted on the thread so I can click on the last one. The only thing we don't have is a way to subscribe to a thread. In other DB they often put this in your control panel so you can quickly go there and see if there are replies, even if it is not in active status. Right now that is all that I see as I problem for me. So far IE keeps me logged on unless one of my computer programs removes cookies in a routine clean up process. I have to log on to Chrome every time  and those  CAPTCHA  can be difficult. I have to keep refreshing till it comes up with numbers. Those I can read.
  • konceptual99
    konceptual99

My main issue is that with the old forum you could very easily see the latest comments on a thread and decide if you wanted to delve into it.  When you did you went to the latest posts. 
    The reply avatars now show the last 3 posters which is intended to make it easier to see who posted recently and clicking any of those takes you to that point in the topic as before.
    All the functionality of the old site is available on the new site plus more options as well. If something seems difficult or missing then it may be unclear - just ask and we'll point you in the right direction for making the most out of it.
    I have just realised that clicking on the avatar of the most recent poster(s) takes you directly to that post.  This is obviously quicker than what I was doing.  This is a good example of perhaps where it's not knowing what one does not know!

Yup - best to ask.  Please don't take my original comment as a moaning criticism - just an observation.  Thanks for responding. 

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

Simon I sincerely think the new format is not conducive to a high turn over forum and long pages of chat as we love to have here.

Please don't misinterpret what I say, I am hugely greatful for your work, but for sure I find the format obstructive. I am just saying if others feel the same, it may explain the numbers.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit