Bus Stop Blues

by bebu 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

lol! Tell him that you know someone who had to WALK over a mile *GASP* to school every day for years.

(Uphill both ways and in four feet of snow in the middle of summer while being chased by rabid Oompa Loompas)

• Valis
    Valis

eh here's one for you.....Tell him you will gladly take him to school...a nice walk with him all the way to campus...holding his hand an all...

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

When I was a teenager, I used to get furious with my mom over dumb petty stuff like that. I bet by now he's not even thinking about it. Blame it on hormones, don't take it too personally. Easier said than done, I know.

• bebu
    bebu
    eh here's one for you.....Tell him you will gladly take him to school...a nice walk with him all the way to campus...holding his hand an all...

VALIS, that is PRECIOUS!

His humor is goofy like this, too. And you know, I WOULD walk with him, too! I don't mind walking...

Else: In college, while every other student had funds for buses or cars, I walked. And that school was situated on a very steep hill! Great view of the bay from there, and an very fast jog home downhill... I would have ridden my bike up there, except that it was far blamed steep from the side I lived on.

Mulan, My son would LOVE to miss school. He gives me the choice: drive me, or I'm not going to go to school. I told him, the school will call here and ask where you are. He says, make up an excuse! I said, "Excuse me??? I'm just going to tell them you won't go. I don't know what they do after that..." So, he finally went (muttering and cursing at me).

BTW, this kid loves to WALK HOME from school all the time! He walks with his friends, of course, and won't take the bus. It only takes him 40 minutes, and he had almost an hour to do it this a.m. I think his issue is fear of being singled out as late in front of other kids, and that drives him to extremes. We'll need to talk about this...

Special K, this has happened before last year. He did apologize once afterward, like your son. He needs to realize that there was MORE than one response to this problem; he could have shrugged and said, well, I'm off! He's very reasonable in many areas... but completely loses all perspective at certain times.

I've got an idea. I will tell him that each month, I will drive him 1 time as grace if he misses the bus. He can choose to spend it the first time... or keep it in reserve in case he misses the bus when the weather is lousy (if the weather is REALLY cold and lousy, I'd drive him anyway!). This might set up a framework where he feels a little hope... and where he knows he still makes choices...

bebu

• Jez
    Jez

I would have done exactly as you did and have done it many times. There is a valuable lesson in life here, it is this: DEAL WITH IT. FIX IT YOURSELF.

You are merely telling him that you have confidence in his ability to make up for his mistake and laziness on his own. You are giving his self esteem and an "I CAN" attitude. There is no harm in that, only good.

• WildHorses
    WildHorses
    ironically if it was my kids, they would have preferred to stay home if they missed the bus... sigh..

Sounds like my son, Manuel. He would get so angry with me when he missed the bus because I would take him to school.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Like somebody already mentioned, it could be adolescence kicking in.

S

• bisous
    bisous

I agree with Mulan.They don't always fess up to what's really going on, especially 13-17 or so.

I believed in choosing my battles carefully when my kids were in this period, and this doesn't seem like an issue that is worth it. Sounds like a typical adolescent power struggle, kind of like clothes, haircolor, etc. Much larger battles loom...

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Bebu

You have my sympathy even though I haven't got one shred of advice. I am trying to learn to set boundaries with my almost-four-year-old and failing abysmally. When I think about 13, I quail. So I don't think about 13.

Fanny

• DebraDoll
    DebraDoll

(Uphill both ways and in four feet of snow in the middle of summer while being chased by rabid Oompa Loompas)

LOL!

My father in law tells us the perpetual story of him having to walk to school, 5 miles through the Jamaican hills, with a ROCK in his shoe!!!! We laugh so much! He never caught on, that once the kids turned 6, they could reason "Why the hell didn't you take the rock out?!"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit