*** NEW DVD _ YOUNG PEOPLE ASK: WHAT WILL I DO WITH MY LIFE ***

by truthseeker 33 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

This is an in-depth look at the new DVD released this fall. It is primarily designed for young Jehovah?s Witnesses; in fact, the whole DVD is geared towards Witness youth only.

On the front cover there are 8 happy youths carrying school books and bags. There are four single colour shaded pictures, a youth preaching, a youth getting baptized, and a youth working at an engineering job, and a student on her graduation day.

On the back of the DVD case is the following text:

PRAYERFULLY consider your goals in life as you watch a dramatic depiction of the struggle of a young man who loves two worlds. Which will win out in the end? Which is more fulfilling? What will you do with your life? Interviews of youths from four countries open up a fresh way of thinking for you to consider.

The DVD starts off with the Biblical character Timothy, who had an unbelieving father and a mother and grandmother who served Jehovah. The real life story mirrors Timothy?s experiences.

The youth is in high school, is an excellent runner, and gets side tracked from spiritual things. Though he is not yet baptized, he is working towards it, and pressure from the coach to win the tournament causes him to miss meetings. His father is an unbeliever, but his mother and grandmother are witnesses. An elder helps put his goals right, and he makes the decision to leave the team and take up regular pioneering. The story is about 45 minutes long.

There are four interviews about different facets of JW life for youths: Meetings, field service, bible studies and full time service.

Now this is the interesting part ? the youths interviewed are mainly from USA, UK and Brazil. Everything they say is geared towards full time service. They make comments that a lot of JW youth find the meetings dull and boring. They say that many JW?s find the ministry boring and these ones never have return visits and bible studies ? hence the reason for their boredom. Then you see re-enacted scenes of a young brother out in service with a friend ? the friend is looking into the sky and around rather than concentrating on the ministry. He has a very bored expression on his face. The more comments from witness youths on why some youths hesitate to get baptized. Reasons? Feeling frightened when Jehovah will make an accounting for their actions, feeling that they?ll mess up and disappoint their parents. Fear of doing something wrong.

Seven, Maximus, Metatron and others on this forum who have ?witnessed? the changes in appealing to JW youths; some subtle and some not so subtle ? are absolutely right on what?s happening to JW youth.

It is abundantly clear ? maybe I should say super-abundantly clear that the Jehovah?s Witness religion is losing this current generation of young JW?s, and most likely subsequent generations.

The whole gist of the video was to make JW youths think that pursuing a career is ?refuse?, taken from the scripture that Paul wrote, and that there is nothing finer than pursuing a full time career in ?service to Jehovah.?

An extreme example is the story mentioned at the beginning of this post, that of the youth who wanted to be an Olympic Runner. Why do I say extreme? Most of us are not cut out to be athletic ? we may be into sports, but being good enough for the Olympics is an enormous challenge. Therefore, most of us are not looking for a career in the Olympics.

My point? The Society chose this illustration on purpose to make JW youths feel guilty.
    If the youth wanted to study nursing, medicine or architecture, than the whole point of the story would have sounded much more of an emotional appeal to drop your future and start pioneering.

This video may very well work. It is superbly made, and it will hit the right notes with Witness youth who do not know the inner workings of the Society.

At one point, a section on ?What choices will you make,? even gives the impression that you have to tell yourself why you can?t pioneer, go to ministerial training school or become a servant.

The whole point of this DVD is to shame JW youth into giving up their careers and serving the Society.

This is truly the workings of a cult. There?s nothing wrong with serving God, but when this religion tells you to serve God under their leadership, you know something is wrong.

*** IMPORTANT ***

If you feel that the Society may backtrack on 1914, think again.

While they were discussing how JW youths can make their ministry more meaningful, the narrator says, ?For instance, would you be able to explain how Jehovah?s Witnesses come up with the date 1914 to explain how Jesus came to Kingdom Rule??

Later on, the witness youth is seen conducting a Bible study, and there he is explaining 1914.

The whole thing makes me sick ? Even psychopaths tell the truth sometimes, yet the Society, knowing that there form of worship is burdensome to an already over burdened youth, wants to make their lives even more harder by shaming them into questioning whether a career is worth anything compared to a career serving ?Jehovah.? ? And we all know what that means.

Finally, if any of you do get to watch this clever piece of propaganda, you?ll notice that the theme is ?serving Jehovah? ? Jesus does not get a mention once. It?s almost as if Jesus never existed.

Clearly, there is a massive problem in this organization, and the Society is taking steps to deal with it ? but in the wrong way.

Rather than organizing JW youth groups in congregations, and actually sponsoring JW youth events like many churches, they have resorted to emotional appeal and blackmail to cajole what remaining witness youth there is into slaves for their book publishing and distribution empire.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

The Society has an unbelievable hold on young people. Even though I think most leave, most of these seem to come back due to the fear and guilt implanted in them over the years.

Videos like this do a lot to influence young ones, and while the message seems hard to criticize on the surface, the damage appears years later due to wasted years in "full time service" instead of making practical choices.

It is easy to underestimate the hold the Society has on youths and mistake the fact that so many are leading a double life as a victory for xjw's. Imo, most of these young people are just having a good time but do not take the time to investigate their beliefs and why JW's are wrong, and because of this, they will almost certainly go back.

After seeing so many young ones return to the Society, I am beginning to doubt the youth will be responsible for the Society's downfall, but almost seem to typify the mixed up nature of JW's in general. Only after they waste their life serving the Society do they find out it was all a pipedream, and only then do they do what it takes to leave without going back.

Path

• blondie
    blondie

This already came out as a videocassette when we were still attending. It was nauseating then. Yes, young adults are abandoning the WTS either before baptism or a few years after baptism. Of a group of ten teenagers in our last congregation, only 1 still remains, a young woman, after 3 years.

Hmmmm

My opinion, the hypocrisy of their parents and other adult JWs pushes them out.

Blondie

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch
    It is abundantly clear ? maybe I should say super-abundantly clear that the Jehovah?s Witness religion is losing this current generation of young JW?s, and most likely subsequent generations.

MUWHAHAHA!!! Looks like the mommy org is not going to go off quietly into that night.

" And the sixth one poured out his bowl upon the great river Euphrates , and its water was dried up, that the way might be prepared for the kings from the rising of the sun." Rev. 16:12

Quoted not as actual prophecy but noting the sort of "turning the tables on them" poetic justice in it. I always knew the little tykes were shrper than us.

• Mary
    Mary
    An extreme example is the story mentioned at the beginning of this post, that of the youth who wanted to be an Olympic Runner. Why do I say extreme? Most of us are not cut out to be athletic ? we may be into sports, but being good enough for the Olympics is an enormous challenge. Therefore, most of us are not looking for a career in the Olympics.

This story hits close to home and infuriates me every time I think of it. My brother was par excellent in sports when he was young. (both my maternal grandparents used to enter "Walk-a-thons" and other sports in the1930s----they won several times and I assume this is where my brother got his talent from). He won first place in every single event he entered in Track & Field days in school: 100, 300 & 500 yard dash, shotput, discus, long-jump, high-jump, the relay-race, he broke some local record for the 100 yard dash - he ran it in something like 10 seconds when he was in grade 8---that's with no training)........he was also phenomenal on the ice. My parents, never really "strong" in "the Truth", let him practice hockey with (gasp!) "worldly" guys after school, much to the disgust and paranoia of the elders. Both his Phys Ed teacher and the hockey coach told my brother he had a LOT of potential and should seriously consider a possible career in a future Olympics game or as a professional hockey player, something that appealed strongly to my brother. In fact, the coach even phoned my parents to talk to them about this.

Of course, this would mean lots of practice and time spent away from the meetings. When the elders found out about it, they put the ka-bobs on both possibilities immediately (by preaching to the coach about the world's imminent demise and the futility of any worldly career) and came down on both my parents and my brother for even contemplating something as horrific as a professional career in sports and he wasnt' even allowed to practice hockey after school anymore after that. He ended up leaving the Borg when he was about 19 and has sort of drifted ever since. He's never gotten over the hurt of having his dreams squashed before his very eyes by a couple of unfeeling bastards like these elders were and he resents the religion to this very day. He said to me the other day ".....I could've been retired by now...." He's 37 years old and yes he could've been.......gee, now I wonder why Brooklyn never bothered to contact my brother about his experience in a career choice. Assholes.

• jws
    jws

While they were discussing how JW youths can make their ministry more meaningful, the narrator says, ?For instance, would you be able to explain how Jehovah?s Witnesses come up with the date 1914 to explain how Jesus came to Kingdom Rule??

Interesting. I've begun to think that one of the strengths of the 1914 doctrine for JWs is that they CAN'T explain it very well. The less you know about how it works, the more it is subject to reintrepretation at some future date. And if they don't really know it, they can hide their heads in the sand when confronted on it. Once they know, they'll have to defend it.

I know. I've argued with JWs who don't really know 1914. You can't even show them where they've gone wrong because they don't really even understand the biblical passages involved or what the society says about when the key dates involved are and why. First you have to educate them on what they believe about it before you can pick it apart. Then, when they see how it works, they admit it's a stretch to say the least.

I'm so happy videos like this didn't exist when I was a kid. I don't know if they would have changed my mind. But they may have caused my parents to think differently about things they did and didn't allow us to do. They allowed us to take computer classes in high school and (though they couldn't afford it), they allowed us to go to college. Occasionally they layed out the pioneering option, but they knew we both hated field service so much, that was a long shot.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Even with their example of olympics, suggesting that a talented young person should give up running in order to go knocking on doors full time is totally disgusting.

I'm so disgusted with their way of throwing away people's lives.....those old gits in Brooklyn are truly evil.

Sirona

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Then, when they see how it works, they admit it's a stretch to say the least.

This is a key litmus test the WTS uses. If they can get someone to wrap their brain around 1914 despite all of the blatant flaws then they know they have a sucker who will believe ANYTHING they throw at the person.

A loyal corporate pawn who is willing to turn off their mind.

When a *loyal* JW is learning how 1914 works, the only thing they can really do is keep nodding their head the way a fool does while a crooked used car salesman explains his contract. *** Sure! 30% sounds like a deal to me!!! Where do I sign??? ***

• ignored_one
    ignored_one

Rumours are there's an alternative beginning where Russel dies at birth.

I think you have to press up down 1 9 1 4 on the remote while highlighting the WT logo.

-

Ignored One.

• AlanB
    AlanB

Later on, the witness youth is seen conducting a Bible study, and there he is explaining 1914.

Thanks god for that !!!

I have a teenage son who is being brought up by his witness mother (and Grandmother interferes whenever she can) the parrallel is uncanny. I am sure he will have been indoctrinated with this video.

HOWEVER, he has a keen interest in Archeology and has already worked out the flaws in the 1914 doctrine, so any attempt to teach him to recite that doctrine will be a massive home goal by the WTS...

Way to go WTS!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit