Thar she blows.............Mt. St. Helens is erupting again

by Mulan 29 Replies latest social current

• Mulan
    Mulan

I just turned on the TV while I eat my breakfast (late one) and two minutes ago, the mountain began a new eruption. So far it looks like an enormous cloud. Time will tell what is in there.

• Mulan
    Mulan

So far, they think it is just another steam and ash eruption, and estimate the cloud to be up about 2-3,000 feet.

I didn't hear this one, like we did back in 1980. That one sounded like an enormous sonic boom, that shook the windows. And we are about 100 miles North of the mountain. Of course it blew 1000 feet off the top of the mountain.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Watch it live.... sorta, updated every 5 minutes.

http://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/volcanocams/msh/

• Princess
    Princess

Coooooooooooooooool................

I was just watching the newsguy talking about how relieved we all are that the wind is blowing it all to Eastern Washington. Nice, eh? Like there isn't anyone over there that minds...........

Keeping an eye on the lava

• orbison11
    orbison11

hi

does anyone know how far the mountain is from the sumas border? just trying to figuire how close chilliwack is to it. Last eruption we had dark skies and ash.

wendy

• Odrade
  • Mulan
    Mulan
    does anyone know how far the mountain is from the sumas border?

I would guess about 250 miles. The wind is blowing it Northeast, so you shouldn't have any of the dust up there.

• CeriseRose
    CeriseRose

My fiancé lives about 50 miles west of it, and is heading back home today (leaving in a few minutes). Apparently there was a bit of ash from last week's blow but it quickly dissipated from his area.

Last news I heard has the plume about 10,000 feet like the one last week, but no magma/lava [yet].

As for Sumas/Chilliwack I wouldn't sweat it too much...it seems the air current sends stuff east/northeast from the mountain...it would take a HUGE eruption for it to do what it did in '80 and the experts are basically saying the mountain is a whole different ball game from last time: 1,000 ft shorter, a crater instead of the regular mountaintop, etc.

And on the lighter side of volcanos (eeep!) I got this from a friend.

FUN FACTS ABOUT VOLCANOES

* Volcanoes are like mountains... but with a gooey center!

* What a volcano kills most people with is its lava... or is it its smoke. Well, whatever it is, just stay the hell away from whatever comes out of a volcano.

* Lava is molten rock. You have to heat rock pretty high to melt it. Like, my oven can get pretty hot, but I still couldn't melt a rock... and I touched the rock that wasn't melted as was like, "Ow!" That's hot!

* Where lava comes from within the earth. If you dig a lot, after getting through the dirt, you'll hit hot magma. And then China.

* If you dig a hole that flows magma into China, the Chinese will get angry. Stupid Commies.

* Why is it so hot in the earth as to melt rock? I have no idea. Seems like someone must be doing something crazy down there. We better find out who... or what!

* Many islands have volcanoes. This is much more dramatic because then you can't just drive away from the slowly moving magma.

* Those island volcanoes are bigger than they look because much of them is under water. If I were them, I'd go to Mount Everest and be like, "Bitch, you ain't the tallest mountain! You just the tallest thing that don't happen to be partially under water, foo'!"

* To stop a volcano, throw a virgin in it. Sluts only make it angrier.

* You can also use up a volcano's lava supply by causing a bunch of volcanoes around it to go off. Ha!

* You could also try throwing some ice in it. Wouldn't hurt.

* If the volcano you see is hollowed out, look out for evil geniuses.

* If you see a lava flow coming towards you, jump! Maybe it will cool to regular harmless rock before you hit the ground.

* In a fight between a volcano and Aquaman, the results of the fight wouldn't be known until ten thousand years later when Aquaman's remains are unearthed from the rock.

* If you think you see an erupting volcano, call the police. Someone should know about it.

* Whatever you do, don?t let your kids play on a volcano?s edge? unless it has railing.

* The site of Yellowstone National Park was once a giant volcano. If that ever goes off again, expect park services to ask for more money. They?re always asking for more money

• core
    core

On BBC News here just seen pictures of tourists strolling around with cameras and binoculars...???are these the same mad people who try to get pictures of Bears sitting with their children.............

• Princess
    Princess

Core, we were watching the local news here Saturday after they raised it to a level 3 and evacuated the upper ridge. They were interviewing some of the doorknobs who were camping out hoping to see it blow. One guy they talked to actually said he knew it was a risk (he had his wife and young daughter with him) but they were Christians and if they died, they knew where they would be going. That got me hot instantly. What kind of ass risks his family's lives and spews BS like that?

Anyway, I just got an update that they might raise it to a level 4. Where they were thinking the blast would be like (comparatively) a pencil poking through the core, now they are thinking it might be more like a baseball bat. Whatever that means...

Carry on...just another beautiful day here in Edmonds.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit