Analyzing the American language.............

by Sunnygal41 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• Princess
    Princess
    There's also pelican crossings.

Oh dear. pelican = short e, short i, short a ?

Please elaborate.

• Englishman
    Englishman

Some pelicans are luckier than others..

Englishman.

• Valis
    Valis
    So what's this with the use of that strange word, "prolly"?

prolly like saying brolley instead of umbrella..

or somem/sumpin instead of something..

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41
    (which could be mistaken for "Tampon".).

Uh.........LT,

maybe this is one of those "bigger" differences in the American/British english........

over here, we have a specific name for the area where a tampon goes.........and that would not equate with the area covered under the word "fanny" here in America.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Trust the English to make a big howdy hoo about a simple "crosswalk" here in the USA.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

I'm learning a lot on this thread!

The English bases I was taught in high school were mostly British. Then I was immersed in American WT literature for years. Aside from some spelling and lexical differences I have noticed, I haven't got a clue about either pronunciation of many words I can understand and use in written form, until I happen to hear someone (either American or British) articulate them (and I'm often quite surprised!).

I remember the first time I came to London with some friends from the French Bethel and was completely lost with the Cockney accent I had never heard in my life. The only safe place to me, linguistically speaking, was the British Museum!

I guess every "international English" speaker has his/her own blend of the language...

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Sunny:

over here, we have a specific name for the area where a tampon goes.........

You do? How quaint
    I'm not even gonna ask how you pronounce it - LOL.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Hey mom, I noticed you didn't comment on the name "Randy". I thought for sure you'd defend yourself!

Yes, we get that comment about Randy all the time. That is the name of our eldest son, and it is a very popular name in this country.

• Princess
    Princess

I was just teasing you mom. I knew you'd defend Precious.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit