Analyzing the American language.............

by Sunnygal41 38 Replies latest social entertainment

• Princess
    Princess
    (that and the distinct lack of "u"s in favourite, colour, etc.).

That's because we are so busy. The "u" seemed a waste of time so we dropped it. Sort of like how some people drop "Christ" from Christmas and use an "X" instead. I do add them for you occasionally as you noticed the other day.

How do you get Aloo from Alum?

We get Aloo from Alu...not Alyu

It's bumper, not fender, and bumbag, not fannypack (which could be mistaken for "Tampon".).

Bumper, fender...we use both.

Since most people don't wear those ridiculous bags on their bums, and men seem to use them a lot, I have a different name for them.

Really, does Kotex make fannypacks in the UK?

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Congradulations ???? (makes me cringe)

It's congraTulations !!!

I started noticing that spelling a few years ago on Graduation cards, kind of a humorous way of spelling the word. Unfortunately, many people have come to think that is how you actually do spell it.

• Englishman
    Englishman

So what's this with the use of that strange word, "prolly"?

Englishman.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

I had a tough time with:

herb (they pronounce the h)

oregano (emphasis on third syllable)

controversy (emphasis on the second syllable)

schedule (shedyule)

leisure (lezhur)

issue (iss-yue)

zebra (short e)

fortune (fort-yune)

When I pronounced these and similar words in the English manner, my American friends would laugh raucously and call me pretentious, and if I did it the American way my English acquaintances would would get that look like I'd farted but they were too polite to mention it. As a result I got very schizy about language while I lived there.

• Princess
    Princess

Hey mom, I noticed you didn't comment on the name "Randy". I thought for sure you'd defend yourself!

So what's this with the use of that strange word, "prolly"?

Once again, lazy 'Mercan bums who can't take the time to say or write "probably". 'Course, I think it has a nice ring to it myself.

zebra (short e)

Now this one is easy. Have you noticed how uptight they get over the letter Z? If they actually said "zeebra" they'd almost be saying "zee" rather (short a) than "zed".

It's zee.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

Yeah, and you might think, zebra being prolly not a word that you would have much occasion to use, that you could just forget about the difference, but no, because they have zebra crossings all over the place (black and white striped pedestrian crossings) so the word zebra comes up in conversation all the time.

• Princess
    Princess
    because they have zebra crossings all over the place (black and white striped pedestrian crossings)

Well that has to be terribly confusing to the zebras.

• Englishman
    Englishman

A zebra crossing!

Pronounced zeh-brah. Flat e.

The yellow domes are flashing warning beacons invented by a fella called Belisha. So we call 'em Belisha beacons.

Traffic must stop for you if you want to cross. Some zebra crossings have traffic lights too.

The white Mercedes is breaking the law here, you can't park or overtake on the zig-zags leading up to the crossing.

alt

Englishman.

• Princess
    Princess

Our "crosswalks" look the same Eman. We don't have the zig zags leading up to them though. Kind of looks like the street painter was on something...

The flashing beacons are interesting. We have a crosswalk 1/2 mile from here with those. They are only visible when it's dark and I don't think they are very effective. The crossing to my kids school is lighted. Very effective. You punch the button and the light turns immediately, stopping traffic. Except for the lady last week who only stopped when I stood in the road and yelled at her (she almost hit my daughter's friend) and then copped an attitude with me while I yelled at her some more. As if that would make her feel any better if she had hit the eight year old girl she narrowly missed.

Zebra (long e) crossings indeed.

• myauntfanny
    myauntfanny

There's also pelican crossings.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit