I'm a new churchgoer, communion question

by pennycandy 23 Replies latest jw friends

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

I've only in the last month started attending a non-denominational church. I was absolutely shocked by what I experienced, and not because of the lightening I thought might strike me down as I crossed the threshhold. While many were attentive and friendly, no one pried into my religious history, or tried to railroad me into coming back. They respected whatever reasons I had for being there that day. They say worship is more important than rules, so come as you are. No dress code, no required reading.

The three times I've gone they've had people available to answer questions, or to help you as a new Christian, or to help you get comfortable with the church. You go to them, if you want, they don't come to you.

The joy that was there was truly heartwarming. The openness and acceptance was a stark contrast to the closed community of the KH. I don't feel that a person needs a church to worship, but in my case I'd like a place for fellowship and activities. I'm so glad I decided to take the plunge and go.

Referring to Dawn's previous post, yes, I think "grace" is a good word for what I'm seeing. For the first time in my entire life, I'm looking forward to Sunday mornings, and am considering attending another meeting for a little more indepth Bible study. I'm a little afraid to get into doctrinal issues. But at least I now know that I can choose what to believe and what to reject.

Communion is every second Sunday. Can someone who has experienced this give me an idea of what to expect and what to do, given my JW background? I have thoughts of doing it all wrong and really embarassing myself.

Penny

• dorothy
    dorothy

Wow, that sounds nice. Some churches have slightly different ways of doing things. If I were you I would take my concern to the priest (or whoever may be over seeing things). Then make sure you're not first in line, and quietly observe.

• pennycandy
    pennycandy

Yes, I can imagine sitting in the wrong place and being first in line. Going the wrong way, standing when I'm supposed to kneel, holding my hand out for the bread instead of opening my mouth.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Alternatively you could always just sit at the back and watch, first time around. As you've already found out, nothing is compulsory

The bottom line is that there's no need to feel in anyway pressured, by self or others.

There's so much variety in how a simple wine and cracker are dispensed. I quite like twisting off a chunk of loaf, myself

• Sirona
    Sirona

Penny,

Its lovely to hear about your nice experience with the church

I think you could maybe watch the first communion and see what everyone else does!

LT

I quite like twisting off a chunk of loaf, myself

Yep! Thats how we do it. Big bowl of wine, big chunk of bread...pass it around.

Sirona

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LT:

You're using crackers, eh?

we use ordinary bread cut into small cubes by the deft hands of Mrs Ozzie.

Penny:

Glad you find it a spiritually refreshing experience. May it continue.

That's the experience of Mrs Ozzie and I too. We can't believe the difference in the way we feel now to how it used to be down at the KH.

As LT has pointed out, there's no compulsion so if you feel like not sharing the bread and wine, that's OK - no obligation and noone will look down on you or anything like that.

Different churches have communion at different times, so at our church we have it just once a month but others may have it every week. It just depends on the local church.

As to whether you're allowed to partake, at the churches that we've attended the minister simply invites all those who love the Lord Jesus to come and share. It's as simple as that.

So, enjoy! and God Bless.

Cheers, Ozzie

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Ozzie:
    The way it's done here (in Scottish Presbyterian circles) is that each congregation holds it twice a year. You then have an opportunity to travel to other villages and "partake" as it goes around in a circuit. You can also attend any other denomination at will, because (as you already know) it's got nothing to do with denomination, but more to do with Christ

We tend to have cubed bread, too, and a nice quality sweet red wine.
    I much prefer it to a cracker and grape juice, but each to their own.

It's a time of introspection and encouragement.
    I love it!

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

LT:

Do you share the grace in your neck of the woods?

Ozzie

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

If you're not sure about the communion thing you can practice at home with these handy Prefilled Wafer / Juice kits!

Each one comes with a wafer and some juice.

*** Runs and hides ***

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

That's Texas for ya!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit