Need Assistance re Judge R

by Maximus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• larc
    larc

Maximus,

You stated that William and Bonnie Heath bought the land that was to become Beth Sarim. Actually, they bought the land next to Seth Sarim, in 1939, and built Beth Shan on the adjoining property. The deed had William Boyd's name on it and he was holding the property in trust for the "ancient worthies" mentioned in Hebrews Chapter 11. The deed to Beth Sarim had Rutherford's name on it with the same trust arrangements. (signed in 1929)

William Heath worked for Coca Cola in Atlanta before going to Bethel. My mother referred to the Heath's as Coca Cola heirs, and so it may have been his money that paid for the mansion.

Beth Sarim was built in 1929. William Heath couldn't have been involved. He didn't become a Witness until 1932 and didn't meet Rutherford until 1934. William became Rutherford's private secretary in the summer of 1937. He spent the first two month's on the job on a two month speaking tour with Rutherford. It was on this tour that he met Bonnie. They were married the following January, one week after William's divorce from his previous wife. From then on, the Heath's were always with Rutherford on all trips until Rutherford's death.

The only other person that I can think of that has posted about these early years, was DannyBear. As I recall his parents worked on the WT farm on Staten Island, where Rutherford spent his weekends writing his books.

• Maximus
    Maximus

You're correct, my language was not clear, referring to the total Braeburn property as Beth-Sarim. I copied photocopies of quit claim and deeds pertaining to the second purchase, and just referred to the factory servant's name on the initial. See my other post today in which I too comment about the "ancient worthies."

WH (Heath rather than Boyd; that was her maiden name) was a family friend and did little to counter the Coca-Cola wealth stories, but was clear in private that the depression-era huge sums of money was not his. Covington was also a family friend as well, and I had many conversations with him in his post-Bethel years--at his office at 50 Rockefeller Plaza. He flat-out stated monies were made available through the Society. I haven't looked at Gruss' book for details, but he may have them.

The situation reminds me of COHI, the group that purchased property in behalf of the Society in Brooklyn and elsewhere.

Have connected with DB, and curiously enough I had written you a couple of e-mails on something completely different. There was an earlier post from an RR.

Maximus

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit