Need Assistance re Judge R

by Maximus 11 Replies latest jw friends

• Maximus
    Maximus

Just received a telephone call from a non-JW close friend who does not post on the board. For some time he has been writing a very detailed biography of Judge Rutherford that will be meticulously documented. He's spent many weeks visiting the Judge's roots in Missouri and elsewhere, with very informative results. I've been impressed by his thoroughness.

Rather than simply repeat old stories, he wishes to include factual information on Rutherford's last days--literally. Has info, just needs confirmation.

When I first started posting, I didn't associate screen names and material written. At least one person had personal if not direct knowledge, including ties with JFR's "nutritionist" and a housekeeper.

Could you post me privately? Or if someone can find the thread--I cannot--could you send me or paste relevant info?

I'll be writing another person here who I am sure has solid information.

Thanks!

Maximus

• Maximus
    Maximus

Apologies for bumping this up.

• VM44
    VM44

Hi Maximus,

Could you ask your friend if his research about Rutherford has turned up the name of who donated
    the funds for Beth Sarim?

--VM44

• Maximus
    Maximus

Dr. Edmond C. Gruss wrote a well documented book entitled
    "Jehovah's Witnesses--Their Monuments to False Prophecy"

Published 1997 by Witness, Inc., Box 597, Clayton CA 94517

Has about 100 pages of pertinent deed photocopies, including the proposed Beth-Shan property. Excellent source material. Solid source material on the Judge's alcoholism, particularly post-1925 disappointment and subsequent drunken behavior.

Just a brief comment: Bonnie and Bill Heath ("secretaries") purchased what was to become Beth-Sarim. Grant deed and quit claim deeds signed in the presence of Hayden C. Covington. No one believed it was their money.

On 15 February 1939 the Heaths ("of 124 Columbia Heights, Brooklyn") gave a grant deed to Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society for property to be added to that deeded from Robert Martin (factory overseer at Brooklyn) to Rutherford for life, and for "The Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society"--ampersand and two words ALWAYS referring to the Pennsylvania corporation.

"TO HAVE AND TO HOLD IN TRUST
    however for the following purposes to-wit:

"For the use and benefit of J. F. Rutherford, the President of said Watch Tower Bible & Tract Society for and during the period of his life on earth and to be under his control and management during that period,

"and for ever for Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Moses, Joshua, David, Gideon, Barak, Joseph or any and all of them who are particuly [sic] named and identified at the eleventh chapter of Hebrew in the bible,which is the word of God. [sic] "

"... God, according to His promise, will at a very early date resurrect said men as perfect human creatures and that the Lord will make them the visible princes or rulers in the earth ... these men will soon be back on earth."

An astonishing document, really, along with the other deeds and stuff. Solid book.

Beth-Sarim truly was/is a monument to false prophecy.

I can personally confirm some items that have been published. Fred Franz told me personally, "The old boy was actually buried in the back yard slope below [possibly he said "near"] the house." Was that another reason he and Knorr did not attend the "burial"? It was his task to lay out the ancient worthies theology of Beth-Sarim, which he dutifully did.

That's bringing back memories. Shortly after "Faith on the March," I talked to the aging A. H. MacMillan about Beth-Sarim, and I spoke of my own elevated pulse rate as a boy when shown what I thought to be an enormous door: "David will probably live in that room!" He flat-out stated that the whole idea was to "get the unpredictable Rutherford out of Brooklyn." His reference was to an irrational drunk whom he was obliged to respect as "the Lord's anointed." Mac made no bones about his disdain for the Judge's behavior.

Wonder how Dr. Chang feels about that? And I wonder about how the ancient worthy princes would have decided the pecking order for bathroom privileges.

Farkel? Where are you when I need you.

Maximus

Seriously, if you have some specific question I've missed, VM, let me know.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Apologies ...

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

Maximus,

Here's one I remember reading about this (sorry, don't know anything about it myself):

. http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=2417&site=3

-T.

• Maximus
    Maximus

Thanks, T. Was aware of this one. It would have been late May or early June.

Please let me tell you how much I appreciated a visit to your site several weeks ago. Most insightful ...

Maximus

• Moxy
    Moxy
    Mac made no bones about his disdain for the Judge's behavior.

wow, i never picked up on mac's attitude in his book. id love to hear more about him. i really liked his account of things.

mox

• Maximus
    Maximus

No way you could have picked up on it. Of course he could not reveal his true feelings in the book.

Mac was a very happy, amiable, good-natured man with a charismatic personality that lasted till his death. Marvelous story-teller.

Neither did Art Worsley in the Watchtower article on his life. He despised Knorr, but that would certainly not be in print.

Maximus

• Maximus
    Maximus

Thanks for the private posts,
    and especially to waiting,
    who nailed it for me.

Max

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit