When Reinstated...NO APPLAUSE!

by Disengaged 32 Replies latest jw friends

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

The other evening a young person was reinstated and the jerk-water elder making the announcement went out of his way to remind "the friends" that applauding would not be proper. What mind control, bunk, dribble, bull...............
    They are so loving aren't they? I shoulda applauded anyway.

IBBEROEAN "Just making sure!"

• blondie
    blondie

When they had a party for the prodigal son, who was it that thought it wasn't proper? Hmmm?

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

Touche Blondie

• Lindy
    Lindy

I remember when this started. Ones were giving parties for the ones reinstated and someone somewhere decided this was inappropriate. It would take away from the impact of the bad deed done if everyone was too happy to see a disf. one back in. People would give presents and shower a lot of attention on these ones too. Duh, like Blonde said, must have forgotten about the prodigal son!! I think the ones who didn't like this were just jealous.
    Lindy

• philo
    philo

I think the society was getting concerned that people might be getting shunned, putting themselves through endless agonies, out of a desire to get attention. A round of applause is a dangerous intoxication only truly worthy of the society itself (and its high ranking officers). For example, you applaud the TALK not the speaker, very wise advice.

philo

• Gopher
    Gopher

LOL @ Philo.

The explanation I heard is this: You shouldn't applaud the announcement of reinstatement out of respect for the feelings of any victim(s) of the reinstated one's conduct. They didn't want the victims to feel too downhearted, as if clapping would have that effect.

It's all a bizarre side-effect of the unnatural, unscriptural, unnecessary policy of shunning in the first place.

GopherAlways do right; this will gratify some people and astonish the rest.
    Mark Twain (1835-1910)

• blondie
    blondie

Philo and Gopher...Haha...I finally got it! That subtle humor usually goes waaaay over my head.:)

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

Thanks for responding all!

• AGuest
    AGuest

Dear 'Disengaged'... may you have peace!

Once again, the so-called 'truth'... shows it is NOT the Truth... and proved that it does not have 'truth' at all... for the Truth... is not IN them! For if they were... then would know that even the ANGELS shout in joy... and thus, APPLAUD... when one sinner repents.

Luke 15:17
    Job 38:7
    Proverbs 30:12
    Luke 5:32
    John 14:6
    John 8:32, 36

Too bad... too bad...

A slave of Christ,

SJ

• Disengaged
    Disengaged

Aguest;