Is Mt. St. Helens Ready to Blow Again??

by Gretchen956 12 Replies latest social current

• Balsam
    Balsam

I heard this on the news lately. I've been to Mt. St. Helen 3 1/2 years ago. My husband and I lived in Washington and he wanted me to see it. Now to think it may erupt again. The damage it did was something. I would not want to be living anywhere near there now.

Ruth

• Princess
    Princess

At this point they don't think it will do much. The earthquakes are steady but reading around 2 on the scale. The 1980 blow had steady quakes around 4.

I heard on the news that it isn't threatening any lives right now. My mother in law lives in the town at the base though.

It's on the news pretty regular but really isn't a big deal right now. I heard about a news conference yesterday at 2 but forgot to watch it.

• Mulan
    Mulan

This was in today's newspaper.

Earthquake activity increased further early today at Mount St. Helens, and one scientist put the chance of a small eruption at 70 percent.

Jeff Wynn, chief scientist at the U.S. Geologic Survey's Cascade Volcano Observatory in Vancouver, Wash., said tiny quakes were occurring at the rate of three or four a minute. Larger quakes, with magnitudes of 3 to 3.3, were occurring every three or four minutes, he said.

Wynn estimated there was a 70 percent chance the activity will result in an eruption.

Scientists increased the alert level warning yesterday of the possibility of an eruption on Mount St. Helens, as they puzzled over the volcano's peculiar behavior.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit