The destruction of the first temple

by Soledad 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• toreador
    toreador
    I consider that the weight of scholarship favors the 586 date for the destruction of the Temple which would not please Jonsson and his apostate devotees.

WHAT???? I sense there will be some clarification and major backtracking as to what he meant by that statement. Right Scholar????

• scholar
    scholar

Toreador, Satanus and City Fan

There is nothing earth-shattering about my comment that the weight of scholarship favors 586 over and above 587 which is not good news for the Jonsson hypothesis which promotes 587 exclusively. Of course, biblical scholarship views biblically history and theology through the prism of higher criticism paying scant attention to theology and prophecy. Therefore my scholarship and beliefs as a JW compells me to positively conclude that 586 is in error and that 607 is the calender date for the Temple's destruction.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• toreador
    toreador
    Of course, biblical scholarship views biblically history and theology through the prism of higher criticism paying scant attention to theology and prophecy.

What exactly does that mean. Could you expand on that for me?

• Satanus
    Satanus
    paying scant attention to theology and prophecy. Therefore my scholarship and beliefs as a JW compells me to positively conclude that 586 is in error and that 607 is the calender date

The wt's attempts at prophecy have been dismal. What you are talking about is history, or a rearangement of the concept of history by wt amateurs. 586 or 587 are most likely solid history. 607 is not prophecy, it is a mental/theological wt reconstruction in the past based on russel, rutherford and franzian fantasies. It has been proven that those guys were not prophets.

S

• RR
    RR

Nebuchadnezzar, after blinding King Zedekiah deported him and the people to Babylonia, and utterly destroyed Jerusalem and its Temple with fire. The Bible says that the city lay desolate for seventy years.

Those seventy years of desolation of Jerusalem are Scripturally declared to have been a punishment upon the Israelites for not properly keeping their Jubilee years, which God had appointed them. Every fiftieth year was to be a Jubilee year when all debts expired and all property was to be returned to its original owner?typifying the coming "Times of Restitution." (Ac 3:19-21.) But the Israelites, like all other peoples, were selfish. They knew that this observance would mean loss. Hence they kept these Jubilee Sabbaths very imperfectly for awhile, and gradually discontinued them.

God explains that the seventy years? desolation following the taking of the Israelites into captivity was a substitute for the whole number of Jubilee years. This we read was, "to fulfil the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed her Sabbaths; for so long as she lay desolate she kept Sabbath, to fulfil threescore and ten years."? 2Ch 36:21 Jer 25:11.

Bible students reason that if the entire number of Jubilees was to be seventy, and if the Jubilee cycles were forty-nine years each, then seventy cycles from the time the Jubilees were instituted would mark the beginning of the Antitypical Jubilee?the "Times of Restitution." This they reckon somewhere about the year A.D. 1874. Many hold that we are living in the time when the Antitypical Jubilee is being inaugurated mankind will return gradually to all their rights and privileges for a thousand years. The present social unrest is incidental to the great change. We are living in the beginning of the New Era. Growing intelligence is bringing emancipation and shortly the Messianic Kingdom will multiply the blessings and wipe out the curse.?Re 21:4,5.

• heathen
    heathen

RR--- That's the first time I've seen an actual explanation of the jubilee theory . I think jcanon liked to bring it up , I don't know that I understood much of what he was trying to say but put in simple terms makes it a little easier to understand . I can't say I agree with it tho . It's a little too watchtowerish for me so wtf is wrong with taking 7times 360 ? Neither theory holds much weight . If we use the 586 date then we come to 1935 where the WTBTS believes the anointing was a cutoff date instead of a starting point . As has been pointed out by many the WTBTS was still apostate . The WTBTS points out that there are other scripture in Daniel that point to the time of chists appearance which they feel is accurate when using the 607 bce date but if we use the 586bce date we come up with 41 AD instead of 30AD. I think it's all a matter of how accurate the gregorian calendar is . This is aways in question because there is no proof that jesus ever existed except in the bible . hmmmmmmm most interesting , just thinking out loud here . LOL

• Satanus
    Satanus

RR

Yah, a positive theology like that makes for positive adherants. Dispite all the crap going down all over the place, i too think that the world in general, it's general direction is for the better. This is a trend that has been going for centuries. Whether it is a natural result of basic human nature, or because of another underlying/over arching force, or both is subject to arguement.

S

• toreador
    toreador

It sure is nice God thought so much of us he made real sure he had everything put down on paper real exactlike so that there could be no confusion; you know especially since it means our lives that we get the right dates and all. How else could we pick the right religion if he didnt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit