The destruction of the first temple

by Soledad 27 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Soledad
    Soledad

www.aish.com

And they ... put out the eyes of Zedekiah, and bound him with fetters of bronze, and carried him to Babylon. And in the fifth month, on the seventh day of the month, which is the nineteenth year of king Nebuchadnezzar king of Babylon, came Nebuzaradan, captain of the guard, a servant of the king of Babylon, to Jerusalem. And he burned the house of the Lord [the Temple], and the king's house, and all the houses of Jerusalem, and every great man's house burned he with fire. (2 Kings 25: 7-9)

With the destruction of the Temple -- on the 9th of Av of the year 422 BCE -- the special connection that the Jewish people had with God is severed.

Here is when it all comes crashing down. Besides the horrific physical destruction, there is also the great spiritual ego-deflation of the Jewish people.

Where previously the Babylonians had been satisfied in making Israel into a vassal state, this time their punishment is much worse. They decide to carry on the Assyrian policy of exile and remove the Jews from the Promised Land.

please feel free to comment and post additional resources that support this finding. I'm highly curious about this event.

• heathen
    heathen

I think the spiritual deflation happened prior to the exile . If you read in Ezekiel you can see the complete apostate control of even the temple that totally cheezed the creator to the point of having Ezekiel kill them off within the temple .

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Looks like a traditional chronology used in some Jewish (ultra?-)orthodox circles. I don't remember hearing about it before. I just googled "9 Av 422 BCE 586" and noticed sometimes the two dates are used in different places of the same document, without any explanation...

Anyway, this doesn't seem to be a "new finding"...

• Satanus
    Satanus

Isreali archeologist israel finkelstein, in 'the bible unearthed', has concluded that the 'fisrt temple', the 'temple of solomon' wasn't much of anything. The solomonic empire was a fiction created by later priests for propaganda purposes. And so, the real first jewish temple, the one that the figmentive jesus walked was built by a gentile pagan, herod, funded by gentile roman money.

Of course, the fantasmic solomonic empire served it's purpose of raising the jewish psyche almost to the level of the other empires. Removal of that fantasm does much toward destroying the legitmacy of the dream of a greater israel stretching from the sanai to and including some of iraq.

S

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Satanus:

The Solomon temple is a fiction all right, yet there was a sanctuary in Jerusalem as in almost every significant city in ancient Israel. It probably became a bigger royal temple under Hezekiah and the central temple of Judah under Josiah, less than 40 years before it was partly destroyed by the Babylonians in 586 BC.

• Satanus
    Satanus

Narkisos

Yes, there was something. But nowhere near what the bible fantasy would have one believe. The remains of the socalled 'stable of solomon' have also been called into question.

S

• Soledad
    Soledad

I appreciate the replies. Its a subject that, if I can gather all my crazy thoughts together, is potential dissertation material.

more to come.....

• scholar
    scholar

Soledad

The date for the Fall of Jerusalem remains problematic. Scholars prefer 586, others such as Jonsson and his ilk prefer 587 whereas Bible Students traditionally propose 607. If you are considering writing a dissertation then you should research WT publications on the subject of the Temple, its chronology,theology etc.

scholar

BA MA Studies in Religion

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

Scholar,

In case you didn't notice, the initial question was about the use of 422 BC for the Fall of Jerusalem in some Jewish circles. Ever heard of that?

Your "scholarship" on chronology would have been useful, for a change...

• Soledad
    Soledad

problem that I have encountered Scholar is there is no record of accurate chronology prior to the 20th c., where the whole world came to accept 1 calendar system. those same scholars that you cite and that Watchtower cites had to work "backwards" so to speak to piece everything together, so the margin of error is quite high. I'm more inclined towards rabbinical traditions with regards to chronology.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit