Awake! congradulates itself for "Mood Disorders"

by ezekiel3 25 Replies latest watchtower medical

• ezekiel3
    ezekiel3

Thanks for the responses, I hope the post exposed the frustrated emotions that people suffer in an emotional vacuum such as JWs.

But Always look on the bright side of life! : IMO the recent articles on depression and the reader response have paved the way for the "fading" JWs who can now "happily" claim to be "depressed."

I say lay it on thick, and keep a copy of the Awake! handy (clutch it to your chest and make sure it has tear stains) when the elders come by for an "encouraging" visit. Tell them:

"I finally feel understood"

"I am doing everything I can right now"

"After reading this article I'm sure you understand"

"I tried to go to counseling, but the doctors tell me I'm in a mind control cult"

After the "new light" on depression, elders can no longer guilt you into bible study, meetings, service, etc. It's the ultimate "twinkie defence".

• heathen
    heathen

LMAO@sqinks ---- I can tell you may have actually read the WT family book on how to not have a dysfunctional family . A well thought out and researched piece of material there ........ not . I think couples would be happier reading the JOY OF SEX series.

• TheOldHippie
    TheOldHippie

I always find it somewhat - to put it mildly - strange to read some of the comments from the readers on articles about health problems, deseases, mood disorders etc. Even if they have suffered from the problem for a decade or more, it is as if they have never read anything about it, or must have had ver, very poor access to brochures, doctors, pamphlets, whatever. "I have suffered from diabetes for 27 years, but never have I read an article as thorough as yours before, now I can finally find out what to eat and what not to" etc. Yeah, what has he been doing for these 27 years, has he not seen anything about his illness before? "Thank you for your articles on depression, I used to laugh at the depressed ones and think they should just go out in the service more" - yeah, what have her sisters and brothers in the congregation told her before - how has the outlook on other people been? "I thought I was the only person in the whole world feeling depressed" - yeah, because we never watch television or read newspapers or talk to anyone, do we?

Strange reaction, especially from Japan and the Orient.

• MerryMagdalene
    MerryMagdalene

Really excellent post, Ezekiel!!!

I love seeing their Jekyll and Hyde mentality highlighted so clearly. Unfortunately, they really don't care about the harm they've done and continue to do with their false teachings any more than they are bothered by their own false prophesies, as confessed to so eloquently by WT attorney Hayden Covington during the Douglas Walsh trial in Scotland, 1954, clearly revealing their attitude on all such matters: (found this @ www.geocities.com/osarsif/pro4.htm )

Q. Back to the point now. A false prophesy was promulgated?

A. I agree that.

Q. It had to be accepted by Jehovah's Witnesses?

A. That is correct.

Q. If a member of Jehovah's Witnesses took the view himself that that prophesy was wrong and said so he would be disfellowshipped?

A. Yes, if he said so and kept persisting in creating trouble, because if the whole organisation believes one thing, even though it be erronious and somebody else starts on his own trying to put his ideas across then there is disunity and trouble, there cannot be harmony, there cannot be marching. When a change comes it should come from the proper source, the head of the organisation, the governing body, not from the bottom upwards, because everybody would have ideas, and the organisation would disintegrate and go in a thousand different directions. Our purpose is to have unity.

Q. Unity at all costs?

A. Unity at all costs, because we believe and are sure that Jehovah God is using our organisation, the governing body of our organisation to direct it, even though mistakes are made from time to time.

Q. And unity based upon an enforced acceptance of false prophecy?

A. That is conceded to be true.

Q. And the person who expressed his view, as you say, that it was wrong, and was disfellowshipped, would be in breach of the Covenant, if he was baptized?

A. That is correct.

Q. And as you said yesterday expressly, would be worthy of death?

A. I think -- -- --

Q. Would you say yes or no?

A. I will answer yes, unhesitatingly.

Q. Do you call that religion?

A. It certainly is.

Q. Do you call it Christianity?

A. I certainly do.

Q. In connection with mistakes, you were cross-examined at some length as to differences of view which might have taken place in the authoritative exposition of the Scriptures over the years since the foundation of the Society, and I think you agreed there had been differences?

A. Yes.

Q. You also quite frankly agreed that persons who at any time are not prepared to accept authoritative exposition are liable to expulsion from the Society, with such spiritual consequences as that may entail?

A. Yes, I said that and I state it again.

Now don't you see why the r&f sometimes must be sacrificed? And don't you feel better about it all?

--Merry

• Gordy
    Gordy

I couldn't believe the comments and quotes about depression and JW's.

When I had "acute clinical depression" back in 1996 and attempted suicide. What understanding did I get??

Hauled before a Judicial committee, reproved, told to do more field service and attend all meetings.

Then because that wasn't working 6 months later my wife is told, by the Elders, that I should leave home and family because I'm a "spiritual danger" to the family. Great therapy!!

In the 3 years from then to when I left the JW's not once did I get any help or support from them.

This basically led me to question WT teachings and eventually led to me leaving. Which means for the past 3 years, my JW wife and two JW daughters have not had any contact with me.

As stated just exactly when did the WT "Awake!" to the fact that JW's DO get depressed.

What is need is now for them to recognise that they are a main contributor to that depression.

• Corvin
    Corvin
    This may happen to Christians too , and it can be a most unpleasant experience. Many have found, though, that preaching the good news has helped them to snap out of a temporary bout with the blues

LOL, notice how they imply that you really have no right to be depressed when you could be experiencing the joy and happiness of preaching their load of crap to others from door to door.

Corvin

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit