In defense of Bill Bowen and Silent Lambs

by Junction-Guy 32 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• Pleasuredome
    Pleasuredome

the thing is though, bill isnt trying to get people out of the org, he's trying to change their child abuse policy, and if it makes people think and leave too, then that's a bonus. thats what sets him apart from others whose sole purpose is to get people to leave. and it seems he isnt going to take any nonsense from anyone, even a certain person who half ex jw's go starry eyed about when his name's mentioned, and i cant fault him for it.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Hello,

Not one person on this earth, even the most dedicated JW, could not support the goal of Silentlambs. That does not mean its founder is, or should be above criticism if they are found wanting, especially if they have relied on the community of XJW's for help in reaching their goal.

It has always amused me that the matter is often presented as if the person who supports Silentlambs, support survivors, but if any criticism is made of SL methodology, they are then accused of siding with abusers. This is nonsense. It is as fallacious at the argument that one cannot have opinions on the subject if they have not been doing a similar work to SL. Some of us were tackling this issue years before the Internet allowed for wide publicity, and years before the media were remotely interested in the subject, yet we have no inclination to create a JW style 'us and them' battleground. For example, I have personally overseen the imprisonment of two JW abusers, one in the 70's, and one in the 80's and then helped to take care of his victims financially, but I would welcome the input of *anybody* in such a situation.

Bill Bowen has done a sterling work in publicizing an issue that needed to be bought to the public notice. In doing so he has made mistakes, some of them big mistakes that have caused the alienation of some of his former sympathizers, and even some survivors. Much of this was due imho to being influenced by bad advice when he was at a very vulnerable stage emotionally. He is a man, and has behaved like a man. If he has learned lessons then he is a wise man, if he has not, then he is a fool.

Last time that I criticized the running of SL, I had hate mail which threatened my life, and also a charming note from a person who threatened to seek out my wife and do her sexual harm. This issue does inspire a fierce wave of emotion, and it is for this very reason that rationality should never become a victim to a mob mentality. Criticism is a *good*, not a bad thing in such situations. It tapers judgment and focuses resources and leads to the kind of wisdom that is necessary to face this sordid issue with a sense of permanence. No person in a position of responsibility that involves the life of others, should ignore constructive criticism.

Pleasuredome,

and it seems he isnt going to take any nonsense from anyone, even a certain person who half ex jw's go starry eyed about when his name's mentioned, and i cant fault him for it.

One thing about Mr. Bowen is that he is no coward, and has never stooped to such innuendo as you do above. If he has something to say, he says it. Have the courage to name who you are speaking of, or keep your thoughts to yourself.

Best regards - HS

Edited for spelling and one insertion.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Hello,

Not one person on this earth, even the most dedicated JW, could not support the goal of Silentlambs. That does not mean its founder is, or should be above criticism if they are found wanting, especially if they have relied on the community of XJW's for help in reaching their goal.

This is very true.

Brummie

• Brummie
    Brummie

Hello,

Have the courage to name who you are speaking of, or keep your thoughts to yourself.

This is a bad move, since you know the naming of such a person will incite others more so than PD incited you. I'd let it go.

Brummie

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Brummie,

This is a bad move, since you know the naming of such a person will incite others more so than PD incited you. I'd let it go.

My purpose in mentioning this is not to elicit a name from Pleasuredome, because frankly I could not care a hoot who he is alluding to, it is to make sure that the inuendo that caused such a flame war when this subject was discussed before is left out of this thread.

Best regards - HS

• Amazing1914
    Amazing1914

HS,

Excellent post. This especially caught my eye:

This issue does inspire a fierce wave of emotion, and it is for this very reason that rationality should never become a victim to a mob mentality. Criticism is a *good*, not a bad thing in such situations. It tapers judgment and focuses resources and leads to the kind of wisdom that is necessary to face this sordid issue with a sense of permanence. No person in a position of responsibility that involves the life of others, should ignore constructive criticism.

Amen. - Jim W.

• Joker10
    Joker10
    the thing is though, bill isnt trying to get people out of the org, he's trying to change their child abuse policy

How can you explain this......?:

http://cultinfobooks.com/infoserv_events/2004/aff_conference_2004_10AT_events.htm

He's after the Watch Tower, not just the "policy".

• shamus
    shamus
    That does not mean its founder is, or should be above criticism if they are found wanting, especially if they have relied on the community of XJW's for help in reaching their goal

Yes, as long as it's constructive criticism; not half-truths based mainly on emotion. If emotion and idiodic conclusions are to be thrown about, it's just stupid.

The internet has a way of keeping us all at arms length of our 'opinions'. The result is some truly awful communications, ones that I am saying are more political in nature. I'm guilty too.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Shamus,

Yes, as long as it's constructive criticism; not half-truths based mainly on emotion. If emotion and idiodic conclusions are to be thrown about, it's just stupid.

The problem is Shamus, that *no* criticism *whatsoever* is seen as constructive by some people whatever avenue is taken to attempt such. Ask a crowd of people how, "How many of you are cruel?" Do you expect to see a hand raised? If you do, you have great faith in the human race. No-one thinks that they are cruel, yet cruelty abounds. We often have a perception of ourselves that is far from the reality. This is where criticism becomes essential in our lives.

The internet has a way of keeping us all at arms length of our 'opinions'. The result is some truly awful communications, ones that I am saying are more political in nature. I'm guilty too.

And this goes to my point. No person, whoever they are should be above criticism, especially if the have undertaken a public project.

Best regards - HS

• shamus
    shamus
    yet cruelty abounds

I have only one thing to say.

Only on the internet.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit