by Xena 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Xena
    Xena

All? Some? None? What is your view?

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

In general, yes.... BUT....

Anything they sell: No.

If they get involved in politics they should loose their tax exempt status for no less than three years.

They should also be required to pay local taxes. It is these funds that pay for the police and fire protection they recieve.

• frankiespeakin
    frankiespeakin

If religion is a business it should be taxed. What I mean is if they have property they should pay property tax,,they should not be given the unfair advantage over other businesses.

If they collect money it should be reported,,if they use that money to help the poor then that can be a tax deduction. They should be open to inspection of how they use money they collect. They should also be liable for injuries they inflict thru fraud,,they should not be given any special treatment in the courts if they are being sued for fraud or inflicting unjust pain and suffering. The same standard should be applied to them as any other business,, there should be no special treatment simply because they are a religion.

People should be free to beleive what they want and practice any religion they want as long as it doesn't interfear with the common rights of others. Religions should not be persecuted but just held to the same standards as every organization,,if they transgress or trample on people they should be held just as accountable as any other business.

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

Good question Xena!

I've never really thought about it but as I see Religion they are a big business and should be taxed just like all business. Why should their contributions/profits be exempt from taxes?

I'll really have to think more on this, but really in my frame of mind regarding God/Churches/Religion I can only say for me I won't give one dime to support any of it ever again!

Kate

• Xena
    Xena

This comment by Narkissos on this thread http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/11/78423/1273290/post.ashx#1273290

Forum Homepage | Active Topics | Member Directory

Seriously, I think the only consistent and practical policy is the complete suppression of State subventions and tax exemptions to any religious group. No ban, no discrimination, no violation of religious freedom: it is just not fair to have any citizen paying for it. The general policy in France (with the exception of Alsace-Lorraine) is much closer to that, although it can still be improved (especially when religious activities are hidden under charities).

Is what got me thinking about this issue. I think frankinspeakin pretty much summed up the direction my thinking has been going on this too.

I think if they own property and collect money they should be accountable for it and have to pay taxes on it. If they make charitable donations or contribute back to the general public in concrete terms then they should be allowed to deduct that.

No more special treatment.

• avishai
    avishai

no.

• Terry
    Terry

Government services cost money. Those who benefit from government services should have to share the cost of those services. Is this not a principle of fairness? Would a church ever need the police, the armed forces, the law courts? Local State taxes apply as well. Do churches need streets, paved roadways, fire departments, etc? Then they should pay for those.

In political philosophy, the task is to establish the nature of the principle and to demonstrate that it is practicable. In a fully free society payment for such services would be voluntary. However, we don't live in a fully FREE society; so, somebody has to pay (whether they, in fact, desire to or not).

Does the local government, state government and Federal government have __ownership__of its citizen's income? No. Then, it would only be by agreement that the citizen's would allow any such body to set payment for services.

As is--a tax exemption for churches has historically been a sort of social bribery to keep religion out of politics. It is a payoff to avoid meddling and subsequent harm. This hasn't kept religion from trying, however.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

Tax Exempt... hmmm...

There are tax exempt organizations... I believe here in the states... 501 C3 comes to mind - as an IRS tax exempt category for businesses.

As others have already pointed out... they benefit from services that are provided through taxation... not only fire and police protection... but water, sewer, roads, etc.

They also benefit from the laws and court system (to the point of abusing it).

I believe that they are like almost any other business enterprise... and should - if they take in monies - be taxed for any that they cannot show qualifies for exempt status - as is outlined under the 501 C3 tax exempt status. (I believe there are exemptions for donating funds to other non-profit organizations, etc.) - OR - provide the members who contribute - with a receipt at the end of the year that they can use on the IRS 1040 forms. (THAT outta freak 'em out!)

It's a sticky situation though... once you start taxing religions... other organizations may suffer - organizations that are using this (or similar) status to benefit the poor, perhaps.

I would be all for the 'opening of the books', though... I think that _any_ organization - not just religions - should be required to do this - to qualify for _any_ tax exempt status.

Regards,

Jim TX

• Carmel
    Carmel

Tax exemption for 501 (c) 3 status is based on providing a "social good" without it becoming a profit generating entity. Educational institutions as well as religions qualify, depending upon the "income test". Both get involved in "business". How much property does Harvard own? What are the justifications for schools to be businesses? At what level of political involvement does an entity cross the line? These are well defined in the IRS code. Several start up religions in the US have lost their tax status for crossing the line, either on how they generate moneys and how they use it. Generally, tax exemption is a positive thing for both, but only if they follow the law.

carmel

• Panda
    Panda

All religions should pay taxes on property and sales... and income for the priests, ministers etc.

In real life if you have any perks from an employer you will also be taxed on those as income. An example would be a vehicle, or home.

The only way to keep religion out of government is to treat the religion like any other corporate entity. And aren't they all corporations now? They went corporate so that they would gain advantages vis a'vis insurance and the like. An individual is not responsible for whatever evil the corporation does.

Anyway, any institution which takes in $$$ should be taxed.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit