WT practice of misquoting scholars

by kj 16 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

It was the combined dishonesty of the Trinity broshure and the inane wackiness of the Revelation book that removed any doubt in my mind about the truth about the Society.

• kj
    kj

Leolaia- what kind of things in the Revelation book? Can you think of any examples?

kj

• M.J.
    M.J.

Thanks Leolaia, I intend to capitalize on that bit of info...I have thoroughly researched the Trinity booklet and was wondering about the value of subtly presenting my findings of its deceptive scholarship to my wife. I have already questioned her about the 7 trumpet blasts standing for the 7 assemblies in the 20s (as stated in the Revelation book) and she never did get back to me on that one. I figure on throwing in questions about the 2 witnesses dying and coming back to life in Rev 11 explained in the Revelation book as being Rutherford & other leaders thrown in jail & then being released.

But I think there is nothing more blatant than the deceptive scholarship of the Trinity book. That bible.ca website that was previously cited provides an abundance of good reference material exposing the deception but the guy providing the commentary is kind of a kook. I think among the most blatant misquoting is with regard to the ante-nicene church fathers. There are some outright lies there.

But I will go ahead and do it. Thanks.

• seattleniceguy
    seattleniceguy

I believe a much shorter reply could be given to the question, "Who has the WT not misrepresented?"

I know of several thoroughly dishonest quotations in the Evolution vs. Creation book, and one in the Does God Really Care brochure (the latter I found quite by accident when I came across the actual passage they were quoting in a book I was reading for pleasure). I believe AlanF has a site detailing much of the misquotes in Creation. (Anyone have the URL?)

Drwtsn32 told me that when he began looking up the primary sources in Creation, he was astounded at how many of them were dishonestly represented. I'd encourage anyone in need of such confirmation to simply go to the library with a copy of the book and start looking up their sources.

SNG

• hooberus
    hooberus

The Watchtower even misquotes (or quotes out of context) its own older publications so as to make it seem to be consistent in its teachings.

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

It was quite a shock to me to get to college and realize that ellipsis are not a valid quotation. I mean, how many times have you read an article and found those damned dots in the middle of some quote - EVEN FROM THE BIBLE - the missing words often directly contradicting the point being made!

CZAR

• chasson
    chasson

In a last Watchtower, they have totally quote out of context, M. Blenkissop, concerning the document's theory. Bye Charles

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit